Your favorite SF gear.

amanojaku

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your favorite SF gear.

Paranoia Cone Rifles with the Nuke warhead seemed pretty powerful' date=' if a little self destructive. :)[/quote']

"As you can see, the rounds are color coded for your convenience. You have armor piercing, napalm, paint marking, fragmentation, solid shot, and tactical nuke."

"What's the color code?"

"What's your security clearence?"

"Orange!"

"I'm sorry, that information is not available at your security clearence."

Add in that the blast radius of the tacnuke is greater than the range of the cone rifle, and it really makes using one in combat a lot of... Fun! And safe for everyone! Just like all of the computer's missions!

Add in that the blast radius of the tacnuke is greater than the range of the cone rifle' date=' and it really makes using one in combat a lot of... Fun! And safe for everyone! Just like all of the computer's missions![/quote']

OTOH, it was possible for extremely Macho characters to be only stunned by the tacnuke (if they were lucky with the die rolls).

1. Power Armor Space Suits. Because boarding a hostile ship at 37,500 kph (note: number pulled out of proper orifice) should not be done wearing spandex. And yeah, craftsmanship counts: Inner layer of smart carbon fiber nanoweave which monitors movements and condition of the wearer, both to let the power armor move fluidly with the occupant, as well as for automated life support functions. Secondary layer of kevlar wrapped nano-ceramics that both absorb kinetic and heat energy as well as self-seal any ruptures to the pressure suit. Primary armor layer of self-repairing smart metal. All with the usual accouterments; HUD linked to C4 network and smart gun, low-thrust efficient ion propulsion, high-thrust O2 boosters, and internal plumbing ;)

2. The Galactic Network On Your Wrist: 250 years in the future, the entire internet will fit on a handy wristpad personal data and communications device. Perfect for linking into satellite surveillance, topo maps, or giving particle beam bombardment coordinates to your orbiting command ship.

3. I'm with you on the Gauss Rifles, but tend towards 5mm and 10mm Assault Rifles and 20mm Cannons (for Sniper rifles, or alternate munitions like grenades, ranged detonating claymore, etc.) Caseless ferrous smart munitions fired via magnetic rails; more ammunition, less weight, greater versatility - link to your HUD and C4 network *beautiful*.

4. Plasma Cutters. Yes, I watched Aliens too much.

4. Plasma Cutters. Yes, I watched Aliens too much.

No, those were cool. I thought it was awesome that seemingly every grunt carried a plasma torch standard issue, along with the helmet cams, medical telemetry, and motion trackers.

Oh, one more Aliens tech: sentry guns.

No, those were cool. I thought it was awesome that seemingly every grunt carried a plasma torch standard issue, along with the helmet cams, medical telemetry, and motion trackers.

Oh, one more Aliens tech: sentry guns.

Yeah I put a lot of thought (and more than a few threads / posts here) regarding a "standard issue kit" for a Star Hero semi-realistic near-future military campaign that wound up lasting less time than I spent brainstorming on it. (That thread is here if anyone cares.)

Probably the only thing Cameron missed on was the sheer amount of computing power that I would expect grunts to carry two centuries from now. The motion tracker would be hooked up to the helmet, feeding in to the augmented reality visor along with the infrared, sensor, navigation, comm, and targeting info. The helmet would also contain a vast database of maps, equipment manuals, and other critical information, as well as having a multiple terabit uplink to the command net. The only question I really have is whether there would be direct input to the brain via some kind of plug or induction.

Probably the only thing Cameron missed on was the sheer amount of computing power that I would expect grunts to carry two centuries from now. The motion tracker would be hooked up to the helmet' date=' feeding in to the augmented reality visor along with the infrared, sensor, navigation, comm, and targeting info. The helmet would also contain a vast database of maps, equipment manuals, and other critical information, as well as having a multiple terabit uplink to the command net. The only question I really have is whether there would be direct input to the brain via some kind of plug or induction.[/quote']

I don't know if I would expect that much stuff in a helmet. The principle you are citing is valid, but I would think that the CPU would be next to the body so that it could benefit from the soldier's body armor, and body mass, to shield it from harm. Maybe under the camelback water pouches to get some cooling effect from the circulation of water. The peripherals would be in the helmet, with a back up maybe on a wrist mount or handheld device.

I don't know if I would expect that much stuff in a helmet. The principle you are citing is valid' date=' but I would think that the CPU would be next to the body so that it could benefit from the soldier's body armor, and body mass, to shield it from harm. Maybe under the camelback water pouches to get some cooling effect from the circulation of water. The peripherals would be in the helmet, with a back up maybe on a wrist mount or handheld device.[/quote']

"Computers may weigh as little as 2.5 tons and be as small as your living room." (Roughly)

Consider the power and connectivity currently available in a smartphone. In a hundred years' date=' I'd expect the hardened military-grade version of "that much stuff" to weigh maybe a couple ounces.[/quote']

Given the way tech has been bounding, I would think that in a hundred years all the capability of one of the Crey supercomputers would be made light enough to fit inside the helmet armor, next to your ear.

One thing that has been consistent in SF, is that they underestimate computer advancement.

The computers described on the original Starship Enterprise (Star Trek Original Series) were obsolete by the end of the 80's. The ones described on Enterprise-D were obsolete by the end of the 90's.

(By 'described' I mean the amount of computing power and how much they weighed. We can't get them to do all the tricks shown yet.)

Actually the Ent-D's computer was described in great detail in the technical manual. It was a triple-redundant quantum core something or other with enough computing power to bring on the heat death of the universe. It just didn't seem to be actually doing anything in particular. Where all Treks really fall down is interface--three hundred years from now, it's just not going to be multitouch control panels and a single big 2D display at the front of the bridge, being used by nonaugmented, practically naked humans.

Actually the Ent-D's computer was described in great detail in the technical manual. It was a triple-redundant quantum core something or other with enough computing power to bring on the heat death of the universe. It just didn't seem to be actually doing anything in particular. Where all Treks really fall down is interface--three hundred years from now' date=' it's just not going to be multitouch control panels and a single big 2D display at the front of the bridge, being used by nonaugmented, practically naked humans.[/quote']

This gets at one of the basic concepts of space opera -- that people in the far future will continue doing (some) things essentially as they're done now. On some level, it's probably completely wrong as a prediction of the future. But in terms of audience appeal, it's hard to beat. Yes, I'm (sort of) defending Trek. For my next trick, I'll cause hell to freeze over for your amusement.

Actually the Ent-D's computer was described in great detail in the technical manual. It was a triple-redundant quantum core something or other with enough computing power to bring on the heat death of the universe. It just didn't seem to be actually doing anything in particular. Where all Treks really fall down is interface--three hundred years from now' date=' it's just not going to be multitouch control panels and a single big 2D display at the front of the bridge, being used by nonaugmented, practically naked humans.[/quote']

That really depends on how the culture evolves. Talking about Star Trek. Given what Humanity went though in the Eugenics wars it's really no wonder that any augmentation is looked down on. Also given that in Trek, that a person who crosses some sort of augmentation threshold turns arrogant and eventually evil. I can understand why things are what they are. Of course, now they have the Borg to scare the general public about the "dangers" of mechanical augmentation.

As long as there aren't any similar scares about augmentation and assuming that said augmentations are net positive and don't have significant side effects. Then you might be right about people jacking into controls and controlling starships Cyberpunk style.

Me, I like both styles. I can understand both without being bothered by either.