The fine Elven Mithril/Mithral Shirt from the Lord of the Rings movie

Ragitsu

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The fine Elven Mithril/Mithral Shirt from the Lord of the Rings movie

As the first half of the thread highlights, you won't get consensus on how to build it without consensus on what it should do. What do you (OP) believe the armor should do?

One very simple answer is to build a chain mail shirt, remove the encumbrance and normal armor limitations from it, and make it an IIF. Now it weighs nothing, needs no maintenance and can be easily hidden while in use, but is just as protective as normal, bulky chain mail.

In LoTR' date=' though, magic, rather than being a supernatural force, is a natural part of the world.[/quote']

I always got from the books that it was only natural for certain people/races. I believe an elf explaned to Frodo that what we call magic is just a gift to them. But did you notice that any magic used by humans, bad things always happened to them?

I think that a decent build would be 5pd armor + 5pd only vs body linked 75% damage reduction resistant pd only and only vs body. Using Sean numbers even if the troll on 3d6 ka rolls max, the hobbit would only take 2 body. And at x3 stun mult. he would take 49 stun!

I always got from the books that it was only natural for certain people/races. I believe an elf explaned to Frodo that what we call magic is just a gift to them. But did you notice that any magic used by humans, bad things always happened to them?

I think that a decent build would be 5pd armor + 5pd only vs body linked 75% damage reduction resistant pd only and only vs body. Using Sean numbers even if the troll on 3d6 ka rolls max, the hobbit would only take 2 body. And at x3 stun mult. he would take 49 stun!

The Horn of Gondor, for one, was "human magic" that could be used safely by humans.

And it's not the Horn's fault that all the help was way down in Minas Tirith. Except for Aragorn' date=' who was outnumbered himself.[/quote']

True, but Boromir was arogant, was there any influence by the horn? as Greywind pointed out, and as I said, every human that had magic had a tragic end. Not so much as magic was evil, more as humans can't mentally handle it. (Come to the Dark Side.) I always thought that this could make an interesting world. But I better not sideline this thread anymore.

True' date=' but Boromir was arogant, was there any influence by the horn? as Greywind pointed out, and as I said, every human that had magic had a tragic end. Not so much as magic was evil, more as humans can't mentally handle it. (Come to the Dark Side.) I always thought that this could make an interesting world. But I better not sideline this thread anymore.[/quote']

*Everything* in the series is "magical" - Aware to a greater or lesser extent. This is most explicit when Galaderiel tries to explain her Mirror to Frodo - "It is a mirror", among other words.

True' date=' but Boromir was arogant, was there any influence by the horn? as Greywind pointed out, and as I said, every human that had magic had a tragic end. Not so much as magic was evil, more as humans can't mentally handle it. (Come to the Dark Side.) I always thought that this could make an interesting world. But I better not sideline this thread anymore.[/quote']

Aragorn's healing touch? Seems magical as it was the mark of the True King.

Back to OP. Armor of an approperate level, Invisible Power Effect for no encumberance, IIF. No "real armor" limitation.

And Froto was definitely stunned and brused by the spear, the armor itself was unharmed but some of the rings were driven through the leather undershirt and into his skin.

I'm surprised that no one has a MERP supplement to see what it says about Mirthril. Narf, believe me when I say that I do see your point. But (and it could just be from the movie) is it stated that the magic is fading because the Age of Elves are at an end and the Age of Man is coming? Plus I thought only Galadriel was the only one to use the pool. McCoy I do believe though that Aragorn still used a plant which was know as a weed to bring back Frodo. Considering that Tolkein loved enigmas and myths, Narf is probally more correct than I.

I'm surprised that no one has a MERP supplement to see what it says about Mirthril. Narf' date=' believe me when I say that I do see your point. But (and it could just be from the movie) is it stated that the magic is fading because the Age of Elves are at an end and the Age of Man is coming? Plus I thought only Galadriel was the only one to use the pool. McCoy I do believe though that Aragorn still used a plant which was know as a weed to bring back Frodo. Considering that Tolkein loved enigmas and myths, Narf is probally more correct than I.[/quote']

Some of the wonder was fading, but not all of it. And it wasn't just due to the Elves - For example, the Ents and Entwives (if the second is still alive) are pretty much doomed if they don't find each other - And they've lost each other for so long, the Ents don't even remember what they look like. Or, the death of Smaug, one of the last true great dragons. Or - The Dwarves may not have enough people to even maintain a stable, viable genetic base.

Nothing was said about the Hobbits fading, but they could blend into and hide in a modern world well enough - And they're not very wonderous, comparatively.

Aragorn's healing touch? Seems magical as it was the mark of the True King.

Back to OP. Armor of an approperate level, Invisible Power Effect for no encumberance, IIF. No "real armor" limitation.

And Froto was definitely stunned and brused by the spear, the armor itself was unharmed but some of the rings were driven through the leather undershirt and into his skin.

Might even make that a "simulate death" since the party thought he was dead for a few moments.

Some of the wonder was fading, but not all of it. And it wasn't just due to the Elves - For example, the Ents and Entwives (if the second is still alive) are pretty much doomed if they don't find each other - And they've lost each other for so long, the Ents don't even remember what they look like. Or, the death of Smaug, one of the last true great dragons. Or - The Dwarves may not have enough people to even maintain a stable, viable genetic base.

Nothing was said about the Hobbits fading, but they could blend into and hide in a modern world well enough - And they're not very wonderous, comparatively.

In the books it was pointed out that the Hobbits were changing and growing and becoming more mannish.