Un-Green Atlantis

Clonus

I was reading this tiny M&M module "Atlantean Crisis" in which Atlanteans come to warn us that we've stirred up a giant monster with our sloppy ways. How come it's always the Atlanteans who are the ecologically responsible ones? We should fight the stereotype and have our characters deal with a cloud of poison gas that bubbles up from under the ocean and blows onto the shore. No, it's not an attack. It's just an industrial spill!

Re: Un-Green Atlantis

Atlantis' relatively remote location and lack of an industrial base makes it kind of difficult for anything they do to have big repercussions on the surface world unless they're actually traveling in force to a coastline to invade. Maybe something biological could work, like a new kind of seaweed or krill they've bred that spreads beyond their borders and interferes with commercial fishing?

Rosaleen Love's story "The Raptures of the Deep" in Gathering the Bones might give some good ideas of the sorts of aquatic horrors the Atlanteans could stir up.

Atlantis' relatively remote location and lack of an industrial base makes it kind of difficult for anything they do to have big repercussions on the surface world unless they're actually traveling in force to a coastline to invade. Maybe something biological could work, like a new kind of seaweed or krill they've bred that spreads beyond their borders and interferes with commercial fishing?

Rosaleen Love's story "The Raptures of the Deep" in Gathering the Bones might give some good ideas of the sorts of aquatic horrors the Atlanteans could stir up.

Red tide has always been a nasty thing. I'm sure the Atlanteans producing a worse version of it isn't entirely unexpected (whether it's accidental or on purpose is another question entirely).

It doesn't just have to deal with messing with the water, either. Atlanteans might tap heavily into thermal vents for energy sources, making sure to "shunt" off any potential tremors elsewhere. Sure, that undersea earthquake in the middle of nowhere doesn't affect Atlantis, but that tidal wave it creates will certainly be a problem on the surface.

IIRC, one of the potential problems with the Deepwater Horizon thing was the danger of releasing a huge methane bubble. (I don't know if that was just alarmism or an actual threat, but in a game world it doesn't have to matter.) Again, much more of a problem on the surface than on the seafloor.

Actually, Atlantis making a gas that affects the atmosphere in general would work. We throw crap on the bottom of the ocean because we'll never go there; Atlanteans will never go above the surface of the water, so any kind of atmospheric pollution would fit the same bill.

Back to what I think is the real issue, it does annoy me that it seems every other humanoid species in fiction either has zero environmental impact or has utterly and completely decimated the environment totally. But I guess when you're dropping an anvil, subtlety doesn't go very far.

Actually, Atlantis making a gas that affects the atmosphere in general would work.

It needs to be something that presents an immediate catastrophe. Superheroes aren't really equipped to deal with long term problems any more than rescue workers are the people to handle urban decay.

Back to what I think is the real issue, it does annoy me that it seems every other humanoid species in fiction either has zero environmental impact or has utterly and completely decimated the environment totally. But I guess when you're dropping an anvil, subtlety doesn't go very far.

I did have a mental image of an irritated Atlantean saying "Oh, like your lot never does this kind of thing".