using powers two times (mostly tk)

Dr Divago

ok i know it's 5th edition and i know is not supported anymore, btw this one raised a discussion between me and my mate

can i use same powers two (or more) time?

discussion started arguing about TK, and i wondered if i could use TK two times to lift two objects, then followed into a generical constant power

maybe i got a continuous EB and i shot it against enemy1; can i shot it also again enemy2 (ofc paying double END, making a new to hit roll, etc.)? and third one?

and what if the power is in a VPP? i need to place it 2 (pr 3, 4, etc) copies of the same power inside the VPP?

and what for a multipower?

ty for your help :)

Re: using powers two times (mostly tk)

I would treat it like Rapid Fire attacks. ie -2 per target after the first and 1/2 DCV while doing it.

It's official and in the rules. (pg396 5er).

YOu only need one working copy of the attack. So you could have it purchased in your VPP and could use it in a Rapid Fire attack. Also, if you had it in a multipower you could use it as long as you had the slot active (making the slot inactive would deactivate all occurances of the power).

Rapid Fire would let you fire it multiple times in the same phase, but you can also activate it multiple times in separate phases without any penalty. For instance:

Phase 12: You activate TK and lift up a car.

Phase 3: While keeping the car in the air, you activate TK again and lift a dumpster.

Phase 6: Without dropping anything, you activate TK again and grab a foe.

At this point, you're holding all three in the air, and each one individually can be up to your maximum TK weight. However, you're also spending 3x the END (so for a 30 STR TK, that would be 3x4 = 12 END/phase).

The same thing applies with Continuous attacks, and indeed, you could stack several copies on one person, as long as you had enough END to keep them all going.

That's why Continuous attacks that don't cost END are a caution-sign item and require a reasonable way to counteract them.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't double your TK lift by activating TK twice (or more times) but I'd certainly allow you to activate it twice to (for example) lift one item over here, then lift another one over there, so long as the total weight was not over your TK lift - That may sound counter-intuitive, but it works just like normal strength - you can not lift twice as much just because you buy extra limbs.

The VPP thing is different, sort of. With a VPP you can have more points in powers than you have in the pool, meaning you COULD technically have access to more TK Strength than the pool size. Not an issue is 6e, but in 5e it would require a ruling. Say you have a 60 point VPP pool and all powers are focused through a OAF staff. Can you create 2x60 point TK powers? I'd say 'No', but that is just me in Grumpy GM mode because what you are (effectively) doing is creating a 65 STR TK, and you can not fit that in a 60 point pool. I probably would not allow the active points in any power to exceed the pool size, even though it is done by building the same power twice (or more times). Don't know if that is an actual rule, but it is a sound principle.

A 5e MP is not a problem as you can not exceed the pool size, no matter how many slots you are running. Even then though, if you had 2xTK powers in different slots, I'd expect them to be different builds. I think they actually have to be, by the rules.

You can't double your TK lift by activating TK twice (or more times) but I'd certainly allow you to activate it twice to (for example) lift one item over here' date=' then lift another one over there, so long as the total weight was not over your TK lift - That may sound counter-intuitive, but it works just like normal strength - you can not lift twice as much just because you buy extra limbs.[/quote']I know what you're saying, but I swear I remember otherwise

I remember reading that as long as you are ready to pay the huge END cost, you can 'use' your TK at full Strength as many times as you like at once

You could be right, but if so it would lead to this oddness:

Telekinesis (25 STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (58 Active Points)

So, that allows you to lift just 800kg, but it costs no END, so every phase you could add more TK 'limbs' to the lift. Assuming you are SPD 4, that is 20 extra lifting TK limbs a minute, or 16 tons a minute, or about a kiloton an hour.

It would take a while, but there would be nothing you could not lift with TK. That is why I doubt it is legal. Mind you that is going of half a memory and a bit of deduction, rather than a definite knowledge base :)

So, that allows you to lift just 800kg, but it costs no END, so every phase you could add more TK 'limbs' to the lift. Assuming you are SPD 4, that is 20 extra lifting TK limbs a minute, or 16 tons a minute, or about a kiloton an hour.

It would take a while, but there would be nothing you could not lift with TK. That is why I doubt it is legal. Mind you that is going of half a memory and a bit of deduction, rather than a definite knowledge base :)

Yes - I have figured that oddness as a possibility, but you'd have to ask Steve.

Can you have a power with Lockout with itself?

I believe multiple "arms" add logarithmically though. So if you had 25 STR TK, you'd need:

2 phases for 30 STR

4 phases for 35 STR

8 phases for 40 STR

16 phases for 45 STR

1.5 minutes for 50 STR (assuming SPD 5)

3 minutes for 55 STR

1.5 hours for 80 STR

1 day for 100 STR

2 weeks for 120 STR

2.5 years for 150 STR

(And obviously, Life Support to maintain it that long)

With that much Extra Time, it would be pretty cheap anyway.