A Boy Scout - First HERO System Character

Mystic Pilgrim

Re: A Boy Scout - First HERO System Character

I like what you did here. I might have bought the sleeping bag as safe in extreme cold with the same limitations.

I tend to buy rope and stuff like that as a plus to a skill and not the whole skill roll, but you might have done that becasue you couldn't get a modifier on the plus because it was too few points.

A Swiss Army knife to me is a multipower. The first slot is a 1/2 D6 HKA, the others are pluses to various skills like Mechanics, Survival, Lockipicking, etc. The more you want to play up the utility of the knife, the more slots you put on. It could eventually become like the utility belt from Gadgets and Gear in an unrealistic campaign.

Iodine pills are like Minor Transform putrid water into potable water with charges. Possibly a minor poison attack if misused. All limitations you put on apply.

IN 6th (IIRC)

10 points for all skills

12 Points for all skills & Combat

Basic Rules book 6e, page 29:

8 points for +1 with all non-combat

10 points for +1 overall

Typo? Or deliberate balance change between basic rules and the big books?

BTW, and back on topic, I love the boy scout write up, and the powers are really well thought out and have fun names. This is all very important in Hero. But I agree that as a practical matter it should be written up as "+1 to with Survival, OAF (Camping Stuff)". I don't think you can put a limitation on a two point skill level, so the OAF in this case is a -0 limitation. GM should be generous with "cool points" for good role playing for the OAF without any actual lim.

IN 6th (IIRC)

10 points for all skills

Still not a big fan of them for combat in Super level games (High characteristics seems better to me)

It depends. A focused character with a narrow footprint of things that OL's can be applied to wont reap much benefit from them. A more broadbased character with a variety of things that OL's can be applied to will find that they are quite efficient.

As to stats, a character who is already a stat-monkey - i.e. having high stats expresses some or all of their concept, might already have sufficient probability coverage on whatever 3d6 rolls their character needs to make in a typical situation. But that is a very specific edge case; not ever character is a stat-monkey.

OL's are amazingly effective on skill-mongers (for obvious reasons), characters that have Required Roll abilities (for obvious reasons), or who have power / abilities that innately rely on 3d6 rolls.

IMO it is frequently better not to stat out mundane equipment, although some people really seem to enjoy it. IMO, for actually playing the game (as opposed to playing with the system) statting everything out distracts from the actual play.

IN 6th (IIRC)

10 points for all skills

Still not a big fan of them for combat in Super level games (High characteristics seems better to me)

The 10-pt levels do seem rather underwhelming. But the 12-point "everything" levels can be quite useful, for skill-heavy characters, especially those that use a variety of attacks. If you have skills in all three categories, increasing them via stats is more expensive and doesn't give you CVs.

It depends. A focused character with a narrow footprint of things that OL's can be applied to wont reap much benefit from them. A more broad based character with a variety of things that OL's can be applied to will find that they are quite efficient.

------------

male pattern baldness adrenal exhustion