In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Is Ben Franklin or any of the other Founding Fathers included as a mythic archetype?

Probably not. However... I'm strongly leaning leaning towards putting Teddy Roosevelt in the modern-era book if/when it comes out. If so, I'll have to mention George Washington, Abe Lincoln, and Andrew Jackson. Also, since I want to include Nicola Tesla as the Mad Scientist, I'll need to mention other inventors, such as Franklin, GW Carver, and Edison.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be rules in King of the Mountain (very loose) for running the adventure in Michael Surbrook's Mythic America.

Can you expand on that any?

So, Mike Fink, "king of the keelboatmen" is done. Now I tackle one of the literal giants of American folklore, Paul Bunyan. I already have 4,500 words on him, and actually don't need to add a lot more. However, I do want to mention Tony Beaver, Cal Bunyan, and a few others. I also have to format portions to match the new layout we've settled on. BTW -- Paul totals in at 1,150 points of truly mythic hero.

So' date=' Mike Fink, "king of the keelboatmen" is done. Now I tackle one of the literal giants of American folklore, Paul Bunyan. I already have 4,500 words on him, and actually don't need to add a lot more. However, I do want to mention Tony Beaver, Cal Bunyan, and a few others. I also have to format portions to match the new layout we've settled on. BTW -- Paul totals in at 1,150 points of truly mythic hero.[/quote']

As I recall I found Gods weigh in at 2,000+ points, so that makes Paul Bunyan a Demigod.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if he's a Demogod - a God of the People

As I recall I found Gods weigh in at 2,000+ points, so that makes Paul Bunyan a Demigod.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if he's a Demogod - a God of the People

My Olympians weighed in between 1500-2100+

One of my Campaign Use suggestions for Paul Bunyan would be to make him into a Fantasy Hero god -- a protector of the forests and a patron of rangers.

Probably not. However... I'm strongly leaning leaning towards putting Teddy Roosevelt in the modern-era book if/when it comes out. If os' date=' I'll have to mention George Washington, Abe Lincoln, and Andrew Jackson. Also, since I want to include Nicola Tesla as the Mad Scientist, I'll need to mention other inventors, such as Franklin, GW Carver, and Edison.[/quote']

You can include A. A. Michelson among those, though perhaps he's more famous among the pros than among the general population.

Got a frontiersman archetype, like Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, Kit Carson, etc., rolled up into one?

You can include A. A. Michelson among those, though perhaps he's more famous among the pros than among the general population.

Got a frontiersman archetype, like Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, Kit Carson, etc., rolled up into one?

From April

I've completed Davy Crockett' date=' the Backwoodsman. You also get to read about Daniel Boone (who kilt a bar around here), Jim Bowie and the Sandbar Fight, and one of the fathers of the US Army Rangers -- Robert Rodgers. Next is Johnny Appleseed, who probably won't have any contemporary characters, as he's a rather unique individual.[/quote']

Leaving that out would be almost like leaving out cowboys.

Some writers, inferior to Mr. Surbrook, might write "Mythic America" and leave out the pioneer-frontiersman archetype such as Crockett and Boone, but not Susano.

I think we've also discussed in thread the "mountain man" type (arguably a slightly different archetype) including "Liver-eatin' Johnson" the Crow Killer at the violent end of the spectrum and Grizzly Adams at the more peacable (but I still wouldn't mess with a man backed by a bear) end.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Alexander.

Paul Bunyan is done. I'm now going to work on the broad-spectrum "Occupational Hero." This will feature Febold Feboldson (farmer and pioneer), Joe Magarac (steel worker), and John Henry (steel driver.) While much of the book is taken up with occupational heroes, these three (at least) are rather limited in scope and not part of a larger body of similar individuals. Also, they'll let me mention a slew of secondary tall-tales heroes, such as Slappy Hooper and Casey Jones.

I've also decided that I need to put Emperor Norton into the book. He's too crazy awesome not to.

think we've also discussed in thread the "mountain man" type (arguably a slightly different archetype) including "Liver-eatin' Johnson" the Crow Killer at the violent end of the spectrum and Grizzly Adams at the more peacable (but I still wouldn't mess with a man backed by a bear) end.

"Liver-eatin' Johnson" will appear, as will Calamity Jane. Both will be 6E adaptions of Jason Walter's work for You Gotta Have Character.

Paul Bunyan is done. I'm now going to work on the broad-spectrum "Occupational Hero." This will feature Febold Feboldson (farmer and pioneer), Joe Magarac (steel worker), and John Henry (steel driver.) While much of the book is taken up with occupational heroes, these three (at least) are rather limited in scope and not part of a larger body of similar individuals. Also, they'll let me mention a slew of secondary tall-tales heroes, such as Slappy Hooper and Casey Jones.

I've also decided that I need to put Emperor Norton into the book. He's too crazy awesome not to.

I suppose you're pointing out which of these people, like Casey Jones and John Henry, were actual historical persons - sometimes perhaps as amazing as their legendary selves?

"Liver-eatin' Johnson" will appear' date=' as will Calamity Jane. Both will be 6E adaptions of Jason Walter's work for [i']You Gotta Have Character[/i].

Good! Why let good work go to waste?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Surbrook's Stuff should have a category for "Real People"

I suppose you're pointing out which of these people' date=' like Casey Jones and John Henry, were actual historical persons - sometimes perhaps as amazing as their legendary selves?[/quote']

Casey Jones is a real person, John Henry doesn't seem to be.

Good! Why let good work go to waste?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Surbrook's Stuff should have a category for "Real People"

It's here: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsassorted/asstdchar.html

Casey Jones is a real person' date=' John Henry doesn't seem to be.[/quote']

Really? I could have sworn that I read about a lawsuit filed by his widow against the first songwriter to compose a ballad about him.

As for Surbrook's Stuff,

I should have known the most complete Hero resource on the net would already have it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I should check more often.

Busy day... I tackled Febold Feboldson, Joe Magarac, and John Henry. All three are part of one 'super archetype' the Occupational Hero. While most of the book is about various , Occupational Heroes, these three are sort of unique, in that there's not a lot of stories about other steel drivers, or steel workers, or sod busters, whereas Paul Bunyan has Tony Beaver, Cal Bunyan, and some other lumberjacks sharing the spotlight. I think Pecos Bill will be another super archetype, since the Old West could be a subsection all its own. If so, that's where you'll find the gunfighters, sharpshooters, gamblers, outlaws, and lawmen.

I also want to include Emperor Norton and am strongly considering putting Nikolai Tesla in the book, since he did a lot of his work pre-1900.

A quick taste of the text: "Joe Magarac is a seven-foot man of living metal, who can lift a 50 ton crucible, stand unharmed in liquid steel, and form cannonballs with his bare hands. His use in a Champions campaign should be obvious."

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick status report:

I've hit 47,000 words and created material for the following characters:

Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, Babe the Blue Ox, Blackbeard, Davy Crockett, Febold Feboldson, Joe Magarac, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Mike Fink, Paul Bunyan, Peter Francsico, Stackalee.

Each has a template, related characters, and other notes. I also have an incomplete Pecos Bill and Widow-Maker.

A sampling of the intended content:

TALL-TALES ERA

Blue-Water Sailor:
Alfred Bulltop Stormalong

Related Characters: Barnabas “Tall Barney” Beal, Bowleg Bill, Ichabod Paddock, John Paul Jones, Ocean-Born Mary, Windwagon Smith

Related Ships: USS
Constitution
, USS
Monitor
, USS
Enterprise
, SS
Edmund Fitzgerald
, DSV
Alvin

Occupational Hero

Febold Feboldson

John Henry

Joe Magarac

Related Characters: Gib Morgan, Henry “Ole Pete” Peterson, John Luther “Casey” Jones, Kemp Morgan, Mose “the Bowery B’hoy” Humphrey, Old John, Slappy Hooper

Lumberjack:
Paul Bunyan & Babe the Blue Ox

Related Characters: Cal S. Bunyan, Cherry Tree Joe, Cordwood Pete, Febold Feboldson, Johnny Kaw, Pecos Bill, Tony Beaver and major figures in Paul’s logging gang (at least a dozen characters and templates.)

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished a biography of Billy the Kid. He'll be included as a "Shootist" as the term "Gunslinger" is from the 20th Century, while "Gunfighter" is from the very late 1800s. Other terms were "Man-Killer" or "Gun Man." Oh, and Billy looks to clock in at 280-300 points. Of course, I'll admit to trying for a more cinematic feel and not on that's 100% accurate to his presumed physical skills and abilities. I hope you don't mind.

I just finished a biography of Billy the Kid. He'll be included as a "Shootist" as the term "Gunslinger" is from the 20th Century' date=' while "Gunfighter" is from the very late 1800s. Other terms were "Man-Killer" or "Gun Man." Oh, and Billy looks to clock in at 280-300 points. Of course, I'll admit to trying for a more cinematic feel and not on that's 100% accurate to his presumed physical skills and abilities. I hope you don't mind.[/quote']

In a product called "Mythic America?" As long as there's a note to the effect that the actual Billy the Kid was probably not this "cinematic" why would we mind?

Lucius Alexander

Mythic Palindromedary