• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

Re: Ctrl+V

1. The unit called the “gross register ton”' date=' used in shipping to specify the cargo volume of a ship, is equal to 100 cubic feet (exact). Assuming 1 foot = 0.305 meters, convert the mayflower’s capacity of 180 gross register tons to cubic meters. (5 points)[/quote']

180 grt * 100 f^3 * 0.305 m^3 = 5,490 m^3.

A bit of background: Okay, so at our campus, we basically have several groups, fluctuating between 2 and 8, depending. They form and dissolve every semester, sometimes faster. There's one that's always been there, though. It's basically were all the woman roleplayers play. Now, I, in my naiveté, assumed that this was because nerdy guys freak girls out, even nerdy girls, so I never really interacted with them. Same with everyone else.

Now, it came to pass that our GM was going to run Houses of the Blooded because he's a huge opera ran. He decided that the 'romance' part would be a lot less awkward if the genders were mixed and I, being somewhat infamous as an asexual feminist, (not a feminist, but "libertarian" is close enough for a conservative monoculture like Alberta) was chosen to go ask them if they wanted to join.

Right a-goddamn-way I knew that there was something wrong with these women, but I brushed it off as "Oh, it only feels weird because you've never met a (heterosexual) nerdy girl before." F***ing brain. Anyway, the women said they were very skeptical that any game we would play could ever be interesting to them. I told them about HotB, and they seemed mildly interested, and two of them agreed to try it out, but said that we'd have to reschedule because their game was running on the same day. I called the GM, and he said it was cool. Now, seeing as I was curious and had a free evening, I asked the women if I could drop in and watch them play. Their GM said yes, but warned me that they were more anime than Tolkien. Whatever, I figure. Japan's primary RPG is Dragon Quest. No big difference.

The shit that happened in that game was insane. Until very recently I would have had no way to describe it, but I can now say with reasonable certainty that Zack Snyder was there somewhere taking notes and this is where Sucker Punch came from.

The GM wanted them to play anyway and, shock of shocks, it turns out that they 1. Think that any decent fictional relationship is as rape-filled as a '70s romance novel, 2. Are totally fine with raping other player characters, and 3. have no idea why we have any issue with any of that at all.

Subsequent research into shojo and yaoi manga has demonstrated that I totally should have seen this coming.

180 grt * 100 f^3 * 0.305 m^3 = 5' date='490 m^3.[/quote']

Sorry, you made a mistake I expect to see often when I grade that question later today.

1 foot = 0.305 m, so (1 foot)^3 = (0.305 m)^3 = 2.837 * 10^-2 m^3.

Multiply that by 180 * 100, and then you have about 510 m^3.

That'd make about an 8 meter cube. The 5490 m^3 answer corresponds to about a 17.6 meter cube. Mayflower had probable dimensions of about 30 m long by 7.5 m wide; I can't find ready at hand estimates for the depth dimension, but I have the impression that will be comparable to the width.

Sorry, you made a mistake I expect to see often when I grade that question later today.

1 foot = 0.305 m, so (1 foot)^3 = (0.305 m)^3 = 2.837 * 10^-2 m^3.

Multiply that by 180 * 100, and then you have about 510 m^3.

That'd make about an 8 meter cube. The 5490 m^3 answer corresponds to about a 17.6 meter cube. Mayflower had probable dimensions of about 30 m long by 7.5 m wide; I can't find ready at hand estimates for the depth dimension, but I have the impression that will be comparable to the width.

D'oh!

"Inertial dampeners are off-line." eyes.gif

Jesus Christ, how many times a season does this happen. Any excuse to shake the ship up and have people flying around all over the place during an alien attack or while flying through some space anomaly. Apparently inertial dampeners are not a very reliable system in the 24th century!