• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

Re: Ctrl+V

Submissions to an online homework tutor were analyzed to determine whether they were copied. The fraction of copied submissions increased rapidly over the semester, as each weekly deadline approached and for problems later in each assignment. The majority of students, who copied less than 10% of their problems, worked steadily over the three days prior to the deadline, whereas repetitive copiers (

Re: Ctrl+V

Chris Meadows may have found the answer. Writing for TeleRead, he points out that – although the n-word might not have been so shocking to readers in Twain's time – severe discomfort with his writing is nothing new.

In fact, Meadows points out, the Brooklyn Public Library considered banning the books due to their "coarseness, deceitfulness and mischievous practices." A librarian there wrote to Twain asking him to defend his books.

Twain responded: "I am greatly troubled by what you say. I wrote 'Tom Sawyer' & 'Huck Finn' for adults exclusively, & it always distressed me when I find that boys and girls have been allowed access to them. The mind that becomes soiled in youth can never again be washed clean. I know this by my own experience, & to this day I cherish an unappeased bitterness against the unfaithful guardians of my young life, who not only permitted but compelled me to read an unexpurgated Bible through before I was 15 years old. None can do that and ever draw a clean sweet breath again on this side of the grave."