• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

Re: Ctrl+V

These stories involve the Deadlands games. I feel that where I am at, it is the most misunderstood and mangled game in town. None of these game involve any heated arguments, just me deciding to not play the game anymore. I eventually sold off all of my Deadlands material due to my enthusiasm of the game being slowly strangled.

The first campaign we tried, Crazy was the marshal. I had only had the player’s handbook for a couple of hours while Crazy had his books for several weeks preparing for the game. I decided to play a simple doctor, no magic, no ‘veterans of the weird west’, no twinked skills for gun slinging. The first problem was the marshal’s demand that I have a detailed list of what exactly was in my doctor’s bag, with solid research into the cost of these items. Sources of information were to be turned over to the marshal for his possession. This was told to me as we were sitting down to play.

The campaign started out in Minnesota, yet the C.S.A. had regular cavalry units running around shooting up things. The Union army was ‘historically incompetent and incapable of handling a real military force.’ It was up to the party hunt down Johnny Reb. (Fine, it’s part of the adventure.)

Our first fire fight, I was worthless. I didn’t have the detailed list of doctor’s equipment. To make things worse, one player T2, had a nasty tendency to bust (fumble) with his shotgun. The first time, T2 shot Stash’s character, who was more or less in front of T2. Stash moves to stand beside T2. T2 then busts again. The shotgun blast turns the gun 90° to the left and then discharges the entire load of buckshot. Stash then moves behind T2. T2 busts again and his shotgun forces him 180° to discharge the buckshot into Stash’s character. (That is how Crazy described things.)

It was at this point that I pointed out to Crazy that we were figuring the busts incorrectly. His response was, and this is a near quote, “Oh well. It doesn’t matter. I couldn’t read the rules, they were too boring. I only read the flavor text stories and figured that the dice rules were the same as the old Marvel super heroes game I used to play.”

This game fell completely apart when the party of eight characters were attacked by a full company of Confederate cavalry while the marshal said “There is nothing around to use for cover.” After a TPK, this was followed by the comment, “Why didn’t you take cover?”

Oh, in this game, one guy was playing an immortal, Highlander style. In Deadlands, as written, only demon possessed people return from the Dead. Crazy was almost livid when the immortal was slaughtered numerous times to the point of removing the head.

I left another of Crazy’s games when his Mary Sue character was upstaging the party. We were police officers in New York City and Mary Sue kept showing up at the crime scene. (We solved things in the second session, but he forced us to keep going to finish out the story properly.) Being a police officer at a crime scene, I went to question Mary Sue as he was at every crime. MS quickly went to brawling with my character, and in the two rounds, managed to take five actions each round with all his actions going before my character could react. The dozens of regular police officers refused to confront a 7 foot tall pugilist in 1870's NYC and the other PC’s were bared from interfering. This was my last night in the game. (Mary Sue had already solved the crime but would not share any information as we were the “typically incompetent and corrupt police officers of NYC.”)

This campaign fell apart when the party could not find any more clues. The player (EZ) of the character who had all the clues stopped showing up. EZ’s character was given a list of clues but when she dumped Crazy to go back to her husband and father of her unborn child, Crazy decided we had to find the clues again. However, as the rest of the players were not involved in the ‘pillow talk’ sessions, they had no idea that the clues existed.

Crazy has killed almost all of his Deadlands campaigns. Swimming across a river requires a swim roll equal to swimming in a hurricane and half the party drowns. Half of the party is stuck in a cenotes and if you have any action cards (everything was resolved by initiative), you had to make a high target number swim check to stay afloat. If you failed a swim roll, you lost your action (grabbing ropes or helping others) on top of being set back two successful checks. Some bandits were torturing a new PC in a center of a village. As the rest of the party moves in to stop this, the twenty other bandits who happened to be in camouflaged, defensive positions waiting for the party opened up for another TPK.

I have sworn to never play in another campaign in which Crazy is involved as either a player or GM. Others in my group have learned this lesson and he noticed that he was not the center of attention and left. Now, he only has his room mates to inflict his games upon. Last I heard, he is running Deadlands game with the immortals again with his current girlfriend getting all of the preferential treatment.

He also tried to run a prime directive 'game.' Some people were using the Prime d20 book, some were using D20 Modern, and some were using Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 books. While all of these are D20 games, they all have their own little tweaks to the game and are not 100% compatible. To make matters worse, he was allowing some to use Star Wars d20. (One character was a secret Jedi.) Crazy's goal was (and still is) to prove that a Star Trek war ship is only the equivalent to a Star Wars fighter. I'd put a roll eyes here if I could.

Re: Ctrl+V

Body Scene: Down In Out In Spandau Downs

Most of the buildings in this district are less than ten stories. None of them are above twenty and all of them look like they could fall apart at any moment. The windows are barred but it looks like few people live on ground level, if they live inside at all. They alleyways are strange mazes of plywood and corrugated metal carving out makeshift apartments. Some use the fire escapes of the structures they are wedged between; others use their own ladders from rope or pallets. Pushed back just off the street like most other things in this district out of sight and easily forgotten.