Clinging for only two hands

rdowney1

Re: Clinging for only two hands

Yes' date=' there is a significant difference. That's why the point cost should also be different.[/quote']

Is there enough to justify a cost difference? You know flight defined as wings is given a -1/2 restrainable, and the character has his use of legs and arms.

P.S. Did you say what the value would be? And what would it be?

Re: Clinging for only two hands

Loss of the Knockback Resistance component of Clinging under ordinary circumstances seems like a considerable limitation on Clinging. Since his feet don't cling, he's only going to have knockback resistance when using his hands to cling. What's the value of 7" (14 m) knockback resistance that activates on 10-? 1d6 averages 3.5, just like 7 with a 50% chance of each activating.

Clinging (unless Restrainable) does not deactivate if the character is entangled or grabbed, so he's still stuck to the wall. The Flyer with Restrainable wings plummets. Given that, I don't see Restrainable as a good comparable.

I'm inclined to call "feet only" a -1/4 (minimal functionality lost) and hands only between -1/2 and -1 (which attacks can the character use while Clinging? A Fantasy character relies on the hands more than a Supers character might). How often will the character be at a disadvantage because he would like to have access to his hands while Clinging? Add that to the loss of knockback resistance from Clinging in most circumstances. That's how frequent the limitation is.

I often find we're quite stingy in limitation values (of course, some of the official limitations are pretty stingy too). In my view, limitations create more interesting powers, and making the point savings so negligible that the player commonly wonders "why bother limiting it" de-motivates such constructs.