Dead Zone Retrocognition/Precognition

Ragitsu

Re: Dead Zone Retrocognition/Precognition

15 Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group, Normal Hearing, Normal Smell And Normal Touch) (75 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Blackout (-1/2), No Range (Must touvh object/Person to activate; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Power always activates when character touches something with a "story" ie up to GM to decide what causes a vision; -1/2)

He's got pretty straight forward Pre/Retrocognition. It requires touch to activate and he's totally unaware of outside reality while he has his vision. I did forget that the power always activates on new items and he doesn't seem to be able to control it. Beyond touching someone he doesn't seem to be able to control the power. A character with his level of Pre/Retro could drive a GM to drink or at least bog down the campaign in the character's visions

I haven't actually seen the TV show version, but from the book, and the older movie, I would say Tasha's build is accurate. I don't envy the GM for this, not so much for the volume of visions (He decides when something warrants a vision), but for having to try and mold the 'future' into the vision.

15 Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group, Normal Hearing, Normal Smell And Normal Touch) (75 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Blackout (-1/2), No Range (Must touvh object/Person to activate; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Power always activates when character touches something with a "story" ie up to GM to decide what causes a vision; -1/2)

He's got pretty straight forward Pre/Retrocognition. It requires touch to activate and he's totally unaware of outside reality while he has his vision. I did forget that the power always activates on new items and he doesn't seem to be able to control it. Beyond touching someone he doesn't seem to be able to control the power. A character with his level of Pre/Retro could drive a GM to drink or at least bog down the campaign in the character's visions

The thing, though, is that time in reality doesn't seem to pass while he's viewing the visions, because in every episode i've seen, he will sometimes watch up to a minute before returning to reality, and this is during conversations/interrogations (no one ever comments on him spacing out for this significant length of time). Does standard Retrocognition/Precognition work this way?

Clairsentience is usually thought of to operate in 'real time' - you view 5 minutes (present), it takes 5 minutes. Since you are talking about Retro/Precog, it can take as long or as little time as you like (and the GM allows). If it is acceptable that the vision is 'dumped' instantly into the character's mind, then there is nothing wrong with that. In this case, I would remove the Blackout and AT least the 'unaware' from Concentration. ( I actually wouldn't normally use the 2 together anyways, it's double-dipping IMO).

Clairsentience is usually thought of to operate in 'real time' - you view 5 minutes (present)' date=' it takes 5 minutes. Since you are talking about Retro/Precog, it can take as long or as little time as you like (and the GM allows). If it is acceptable that the vision is 'dumped' instantly into the character's mind, then there is nothing wrong with that. In this case, I would remove the Blackout and AT least the 'unaware' from Concentration. ( I actually wouldn't normally use the 2 together anyways, it's double-dipping IMO).[/quote']

Ah, so it wouldn't cost more to have the Retrocognition/Precognition visions occur in a real-time instant, despite however long they take to actually view?

Ah' date=' so it wouldn't cost more to have the Retrocognition/Precognition visions occur in a real-time instant, despite however long they take to actually view?[/quote']

I wouldn't think so. After all, the only control the guy has is what he touches, he has no control over 'what' he sees, or 'when' he sees, and if it's anything like the movie, unwanted or unintentional touches can trigger it as well. I might just remove Concentration altogether, if it can happen randomly like that, but as far as the time required goes, I don't think its a big deal. Its a matter of Effect, if the mechanics reasonably define the effect you want, there is little need to make it more complex.

The thing' date=' though, is that time in reality doesn't [i']seem[/i] to pass while he's viewing the visions, because in every episode i've seen, he will sometimes watch up to a minute before returning to reality, and this is during conversations/interrogations (no one ever comments on him spacing out for this significant length of time). Does standard Retrocognition/Precognition work this way?

I seemed to remember him being out for the time that he was in the vision. ONe could add Rapid if the whole thing takes place in an instant.

I wouldn't think so. After all' date=' the only control the guy has is what he touches, he has no control over 'what' he sees, or 'when' he sees, and if it's anything like the movie, unwanted or unintentional touches can trigger it as well. I might just remove Concentration altogether, if it can happen randomly like that, but as far as the time required goes, I don't think its a big deal. Its a matter of Effect, if the mechanics reasonably define the effect you want, there is little need to make it more complex.[/quote']

in the show he definatly is out of it and not seeing the outside world when he's in a trance. So Concentration/Blackout definatly applies