What's different about YOUR Champions Unvierse?

Hrimhari

Re: What's different about YOUR Champions Unvierse?

Yeah, I have a few 4th ed Champions slotted in, too. Sounds like you had a very long-running game. The idea of a Destroyer/Mechanon teamup sounds frightening.

I didn't have a lot of 4e supplement material. What was different about the 4e VIPER and DEMON? (As for PRIMUS, I have the pdf available online, which looks like it was made for 4e... there seems to be little or no 5e material available. XD Am I missing something there?)

Destroyer/Mechanon was a lot of fun ... took some quick thinking to take them down (not to mention some serious gadget play on a few characters' parts). 4e Viper and Demon felt more, I dunno ... comic book like? Viper was a bit more like Hydra/Cobra and Demon ... Demon was just cool I guess. Not as dark and "Vertigo/Avatar" feeling. Primus had some info in 5th ed, but, IIRC, it was in Digital Hero. There wasn't a lot mind you ...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think a dead Doctor Destroyer does remove certain plots, but introduces a whole lot more. It's a minor change, really, but results in a very different world. I'm eager to see how this ends up in play. How did it work out for you?

Hm... how did PRIMUS change in the ebook? that's really the only source for them I have. What information was around before that?

The idea of Earth's Starfleet is good, too. With all the alien tech around, it makes sense that someone would start that. ^_-

Unfortunately, this is a world in potentia - I haven't had the opportunity to run it. :(

Without spoiling anything in the eBook, suffice to say that the PRIME Team and their whole backstory was brand-new in the eBook, as was the ethnicity and sociopolitical characteristics of the key person "behind" Cyberline. Plus, the tone of PRIMUS in prior publications (primarily the PRIMUS and DEMON book, reprinted in Classic Organizations) was exaggerated, while the organization was transformed from "law enforcement in peacetime and military in wartime" ala the U.S. Coast Guard (prior to the formation of the Department of Homeland Security, at least) into a permanently civilian law enforcement agency ala the FBI.

And I actually had UNTIL's technological jump-start into becoming Starfleet coming out of a combination of Project Shiva's anti-Destroyer tech and actual Destroyertech captured after Dr. D's death.

In the last one that I played in our GM killed off the Champions in a battle against Mechanon, which caused MC to fall into chaos and criminals to overrun the streets. So my group had to form a new team and start taking back the streets

Also Dr. Destroyer was finally able to create a younger clone of himself. So in addition to taking back the streets we had to deal with the greatest criminal mind of the Champions Universe in his prime with all of his current memories.

Finally, the Warlord had taken control of New Jersey and was declaring it a separate nation from the U.S.

Needless to say, this setting was meant to have a darker feel to it.

Detroit has not been destroyed in my game. Detroit is actually the main campaign city as well.

Doctor Destroyer is ruler of a small eastern european country called Transia which shares a border with Latveria (ruled by Doctor Doom). As you can see, my game is a mix of CU, my own homebrew, and Marvel Universe elements. The doctors are currently locked in terrible warfare, each seeking to prove ultimate dominance over the other. They are evenly matched and very similar in personality, technology, and ambition. The outcome of their struggle is not decided yet and it is possible the PC's could become involved in their conflict if they chose to.

The Champions are a small but well-known supergroup that operates out of Kansas City, MO. The premier supergroup of North America is called Vigilance, and they have chapters in most large cities in the United States, including Detroit.

The Masters of Evil are the main villainous supergroup and led by a man calling himself Master Mayhem. Moonstone has been experimented on by MM (who is an insane genetics genius) and has recently been transformed to a much more powerful being who calls herself Moonstar now. She no longer serves MM and in fact has warned him to stay far from her, or risk her considerable wrath. Goliath was recently captured by the Detroit chapter of Vigilance, but Blackout managed to escape in the struggle. He is still at large.

Since the debut of the 5E CU I've used most of it as the basis for my campaigns, because of its breadth, depth, consistency and coherence. However, I've modified many things slightly-to-greatly, and liberally added elements from 3E and 4E Hero Games publications, the Champions: New Millennium setting, and from the San Angelo and Algernon Files worlds, as well as original creations of my own and of my players.

The most substantial in that last category would be my update and "superizing" upgrade of the classic Champions/Dark Champions villain organization, RAVEN, using official 5E CU supervillains; and a very large expansion of one of the CU's "hidden lands" which has received only brief official mention, the Valley of Night. I posted about these extensively to the discussion boards; anyone who hasn't read that stuff and is curious can find them here:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/47975-Storytime-Birth-of-RAVEN

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/65383-Champions-Universe-The-Valley-Of-Night

IMHO one of the significant changes I made to the setting was to make more of the aliens in the Milky Way galaxy "superhuman" in their abilities. A staple of comic-book aliens is that some of them have special abilities as a race beyond what humans possess, although few of them reach the level of power of most Earthly superheroes and villains. For example, noticing that the Dorvalans/Perseids from the official 5E Hero Universe have naturally black skins, I blended the backgrounds and origins of the strongman of the 4E Champions hero team, Obsidian, with that of his 5E analog, Ironclad. On my world's Champions team Obsidian is Drogen Lar, exiled prince of the Dorvalans and former Malvan gladiator. All of "my" Dorvalans are superhumanly strong and resilient, although only the royal family has been bred to possess such massive strength as Obsidian displays.

Thinking about using a 'stripped down' version of the CU for a TMNT-style game. Changes I've thought of so far:

1. No world-class villains. No Dr. Destroyer, Gravitar, Mechanon etc, at least not in their present forms, limited villain teams. Superpowers limited in general, really. More use of 'armed normal' organizations like VIPER and tech-based villains like Armadillo.

2. Magic is exceptionally rare and almost nobody believes in it.

3. Psionics are exceptionally rare and almost nobody believes in them.

4. Aliens are exceptionally rare and almost nobody believes in them.

5. Bringing back the Card Shark gang from 4e Dark Champions just because I like them.

I'm sure there's more, but I haven't thought of it yet.

Edit 1: I'll probably still set the game in Millenium City, but with no Destroyer to nuke Detroit, I'll probably make it one of those fictional cities like Coast City or Central City that don't really exist, but might have an analogue.

The main difference between my universe and the CU is that my universe has elements of many other Champions and other role playing game universes intertwined together. Sentinel from SAS has played a big part in my roleplaying universe (he's held in the same kind of regard as the Golden Age Superman had in the old DCU) as has The Blood, elements from Omlevex, The Algernon Files, Freedom City, and San Angelo. Also, some characters have been given the CU upgrade or re imagining and others haven't. Malachite is still Malachite and Dr. Gerhardt Spregen is still an immortal Nazi scientist. The previous Atlantis setting is used and Tak'Narina turned evil and became Stingray.

Hudson City has supers, but they're limited to streetwise supers and it's in Delaware instead of New Jersey because that way it would be more realistic for two U.S. Senators to be from the same area.

Edit 1: I'll probably still set the game in Millenium City' date=' but with no Destroyer to nuke Detroit, I'll probably make it one of those fictional cities like Coast City or Central City that don't really exist, but might have an analogue.[/quote']

For my CU-riff campaign I "what iffed" Haynesville, Kansas, from the 5E Champions Universe sourcebook, so it ultimately grew into Millennium City. Perhaps I was influenced a bit by Smallville :o , but I like the idea of a major metropolis near the heartland of the contiguous United States. And that seemed to make more sense as ground zero for Dr. Destroyer's asteroid-pulling scheme.

Once I changed Haynesville's Cottonwood Stream to the Cottonwood River (tributary to the Arkansas), and jiggered a few other historical events, it was just a matter of renaming the various geographical and urban features on the MC map.

(While I generally prefer real-world cities in comic-book worlds to remain as they are, I do have to admit that over the intervening years, watching what's happened to Detroit, the idea of nuking it and starting over has grown more appealing -- at least in the fictional sense.) ;)

I hate it when movies steal my plot ideas.

Oh dear, the Replicator-Borg sound nasty. Have they come up in play yet?

Using the spill as standard, or working in super elements? =)

Not yet. Haven't had a chance to use them yet (still working out the kinks in game-mechanics). My avalon-city campaign will be the premier of Engineer's new toys after I work out the kinks (thinking of using a summon that has extra time and focus (material componant) with the cavaet that multiple replicants working together reduces the extra time limitation). Also going to set it up that Engineer had the foresight to set it up so she is powering her replicants, and if they stray more than X miles from her, they lose power (built as REC having the limitation Only while whithin 1 mile of The Engineer).

As for the oil-spill, The Murk (Turakian age, I believe) who was trapped beneith the Atlantic has slowly tainted the crude so his essense possesses it. As he slowly escapes, the world's mentalists will start having VERY nasty nightmares about a pitch-blackness (or a black pitch :evilgrin: ) slowly consuming the world. Keep in mind that my campaign (which just started) is currently in February 2010. On a side-note for the oil-spill, Telios will be making a public announcement that he can bio-engineer a critter that will consume the crude and seed the ocean with an algea/plankton - thus healing some of the damage caused by the spill - but he's going to be charging BP heaps upon heaps of money. Just imagine what will happen when the Murk realizes he's being eaten by microscopic bugs... he gonna be pretty ticked off...

I didn't have a lot of 4e supplement material. What was different about the 4e VIPER and DEMON? (As for PRIMUS' date=' I have the pdf available online, which looks like it was made for 4e... there seems to be little or no 5e material available. XD Am I missing something there?)[/quote']

Hm... how did PRIMUS change in the ebook? that's really the only source for them I have. What information was around before that?

A lot of the information below might spoil things for people who don't have the relevant books, so I'll put it within Spoiler tags:

Although 4E VIPER has a number of the same personnel as the 5E version, there are many significant differences. Nama didn't exist at all. The group's history began after WW II, with an alliance of several major criminally-inclined industrialists and politicians. The Supreme Serpent was an extremely sophisticated AI probe from a destroyed alien civilization, which took over VIPER's Serpentine computer network mainly to relieve its boredom. The structure of VIPER was more corporate than currently -- Nest Leaders could buy or take over a "franchise" to create or run a Nest in a particular area, and bought materiel and services from VIPER. There were also many more VIPER supervillains statted up, including entire teams.

DEMON was very different in 3E and 4E. It had no connection to the Kings of Edom. None of the "named" characters from the 5E sourcebook were part of the earlier DEMON. The 4E group did have an Inner Circle leading it, but with a totally different membership. DEMON used both magic and technology: while magic-using Morbanes were still in charge, the front-line troops used tech weapons, including elite powered-armor "Mechagents." (Note that in the 4E version of DEMON, the Mechagents and other wholly-tech troops were part of a "false DEMON" designed to mask the group's true occult activities from heroes and law-enforcement agencies.)

PRIMUS as it was originally presented had a simpler command structure, and its leaders were the earlier ones alluded to in the 4E e-book, i.e. General Hawkins was in charge overall, and Robert Kaufman was the Golden Avenger. There was no Prime Team. Although the earlier PRIMUS implicitly had some members with hard-line views, and sometimes strained relations with superheroes, there was no conspiracy or dark secrets at the heart of PRIMUS as with the 4E version.

The author of the 4E PRIMUS e-book, Shelley Chrystal Mactyre, did write a couple of articles updating and expanding on her book for 5E, in Digital Hero "s 2 and 6. John Ivicek Jr. also wrote up a new PRIMUS superteam, "Response Force One," for DH #37. None of this material is considered canon, though.

I might add that I worked elements from the earlier versions of these groups into my own CU-based campaign, particularly VIPER, the 4E version of which I generally like better than the 5E. (I'd offer my respectful apologies to Scott Bennie, but since he wrote both sourcebooks I'm not sure that would be appropriate. ;) Mind you, I don't know how much of 4E VIPER was contributed by his co-author, Cliff Christiansen.)

The closest thing to the official CU I've ever used was something I whipped up from the example characters in 1E Champions. I filled in the gaps with characters from other sources - mainly 4E and Aaron Allston's Strike Force.

You can make quite a nice little universe this way - you've got UNTIL, VIPER, Mechanon, Dr Lirby Koo, hero teams in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Canada, and a scattering of "classic" villains. I started off with Shrinker as a hero, in the New York team with Starburst, Crusader and Seeker. The rest of the 4E Champions made up the LA team.

I considered adding Genocide and Stronghold, because of their background text, but decided things were getting a bit too complicated.

Of course, since my game was based in Australia, all of this was basically fluff, but putting it together was fun.

When I run the CU by request, the single biggest change is that, that groups wizard, accidentally transformed Foxbat, into a competant Super Villain.

~Rex

I briefly ran a campaign where Freddy was kidnapped, his identity stolen by a ruthless assassin who killed all his agents (from Enemeis Assembled) and the shock of all this broke his delusions of living in a comicbook world

He brought his usurper to justice and then retired to write fiction. Occasionally reappearing as a guest hero

I don't use the CU at all. Originally, I did, but then I hit time with a hammer to remove almost everything. (It's not Champions without Foxbat.)

There were huge logistical problems with the way the world was developing that directly countered the actions of my player characters. That made them angry, so I went to obscene lengths to correct it.

The origin of super powers proved another bugaboo. My origin of superpowers, and humanity in general can be found in the background of Abraxas, in Digital Hero #27. I don't like that magic and technology are pretty much the same at their core, it gives players in a concept driven game access to the ultimate excuse of "It's Magic, !@#$! you!"

So now, what was once a CU Derivative is it's own thing. Do I have to reboot a lot? Sure. Is it better than it was? You bet!

It's still not Champions of any sort without Foxbat though. He stays, if I can figure out a way to do it. If not, he'll go, too.

You'll see a sourcebook eventually, gods willing, with what it always should have looked like. The CU was originally kind of grafted on. I never should have listened to that one irascable player. It caused more problems than it was worth.

How is my CU different? I'm not using the CU, but my own homebrew world. There's no Dr Destroyer, or Takofanes (since the Turakian Age never existed in my campaign timeline). The campaign city is London, instead of Millennium City (or Detroit as it still is). The overarcing source of superpowers isn't magic (and magic isn't a superpower, but something else entirely). Nor are there any gods or demons, at least not as NPC or PCs. PRIMUS is the Metahuman Crisis Unit of the FBI. Everyone uses firearms, not blasters. Oh, yes - and there's no Nar-Cola.

The Victory City Campaign Universe(or VCU) takes virtually nothing from the CU at this point of its (endless re-) development. But I can probably bullet point some specifics:

1.--set 20 years in the future--2030.

2.--tech is way more advanced even than it is in typical comic book settings--between 50 and 150 years more advanced, depending on the field.

3.--thanks to biotech advances, people age very slowly and tend to be in shape and very attractive on average(pretty much the mirror image of a typical comic book world in the 70s through 90s--few old, ugly or obese people, every woman(even dear old Aunt Martha) is running around in a D cup or better, every guy has washboard abs, etc.). With expensive rejuvenation treatments, even a spry 100+ year old like Marilyn Monroe still looks like a sex goddess.

4.--the number of costumed adventurers, superhuman and otherwise, hovers around 10,000 worldwide, and the top 1 percent are extraordinarily powerful--hero and villain alike. There is no artificial power gap between top heroes and top villains.

5.--sociocultural mores are much more permissive--recreational drugs are legal(and either non-addictive or with an addiction-breaking treatment readily available), as is gambling and prostitution. Views on human sexuality, dating and marriage are almost radically different. Most crime-fighting focuses on robbery, smuggling, space piracy, racketeering, mayhem and foiling attempts at revenge or conquest. There is no death penalty in most countries, though the alternatives are equally controversial--permanent exile, being stripped of powers, "special government service"(think Suicide Squad), or voluntary behavior modification treatment(tech-based psychic surgery).

6.--thanks to 3 wormhole/stargates in the solar system, each to points quite far away, Earth has become an incredibly prosperous interstellar/intergalactic trade hub, and extreme poverty has essentially been eliminated. There are numerous colonies in orbit and at Lagrange points, and substantial settlements on the Moon and Mars, as well as smaller outposts on Titan and Ganymede and a few outer stations near the edge of Pluto's orbit and the Oort Cloud.

7.--Geopolitics is completely different--The United States of the Americas comprises 100 states, including all of North, South and Central America, most of the Caribbean, plus Iceland, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There are 12 major nation states, organized into a World League, and several minor states, organized into the Organization of Non-Aligned Nations, or ONAN. There are 3 Senators for every state, about 1200 total Representatives, 25 Supreme Court justices(each serving a single 25 year term), plus the President. There are three major domestic political parties--the Liberty Party(core value is personal freedom), the Equality Party(core value is equality under the law), and the Security Party(core value is protecting citizens and their rights)--and several minor parties. The D and R parties dissolved shortly after the election of Chondorr in 1992.

8--The oldest continuous superhero team in existence is the League of Worldly Adventurers, originally formed in the late 18th Century. The most famous superhero in the history of the campaign is the original Major Victory, who was also the creator of the Victory Formula, the supermaterial Victrium, and the founder of Victory City. He disappeared during the late days of the last world war, aka The Third Ten, in 2011. The current Major Victory is the third person to assume the name, and he is in his late teens.

9--Magic and other dimensions exist, and public awareness of the existence of magic has grown steadily since the re-surfacing of the Isle of Atlantis in the late 1920s. Even the existence of "Haven" and its counterpart, the "Inferno", became known to humanity at large in the past 30-50 years, and a special event at the turn of the millenium led to a substantial revision of nearly all world religions. A peace treaty with the beings from Inferno has been in place for about 25 years now, and they and their counterparts from Haven have a special "seat" at the World League. Atheists acknowledge the existence of these beings while doubting their claims to absolute moral authority/power. Supernatural beings are not the only threat from other dimensions--the most prominent non-supernatural threat being the Infinite Reich, a group of time-travelling, dimension-hopping Nazis out to conquer, enslave and "purify" humankind across all existence.

10--Superhumans are generally judged according to their personal actions and statements, and not according to what the mood du jour is. The last meaningful conflict between metahumans and anti-metahumans was over two decades ago. The "Iron Age" aka "Endless Death and Endless Hubris" was informally ended about 20 years ago during the Rio Accords, and excessively bloodthirsty superhumans(hero or villain) usually are dealt with swiftly and harshly, and generally by their own side first. Some supervillains even have fan clubs of sorts, though this is far from the rule. Popular superhumans almost always have both fan clubs, AND groupies. Some will endeavor to remain "pure", and avoid entanglements with governments or corporations, while others will "sell out", and even become "endorsement whores", in exchange for substantial compensation.

11--One of the more significant developments in tech is the advent of "droids and drones"--droids are essentially robot simulacra of humans, at this point very hard to distinguish externally, and capable of performing almost any human task, while drones are replicated humans who have been re-engineered to lack the brain tissue necessary for true "free will" and are technically sterile. Droids and drones who attain true Sapience/Sentience/Freewill, as measured using the Turing/Emotive/Autonomy/Motivational Assessment, or TEAM Assessment, are reclassified as "Mark 13 droids" or "Gen 7 drones"(Mark 12 and Gen 6 being the most current non-sentient models, respectively), and automatically become citizens of the Mars Free State(which is basically ruled by a coalition of free-willed droids, drones, mutants and aliens, following a successful revolt during the Third Ten). The use of droids and drones is ubiquitous, with every workplace being at least 1/3 "artificial", and many households having at least one droid or drone in them. A recent innovation in the field is the so-called "Avatar" model introduced by Consolidated Technologies, a droid/drone hybrid capable of briefly hosting a human consciousness as a "pilot".

12--Lots of other random stuff: the closest thing to a sorceror supreme currently happens to be a villain, Prof. Vinson Prize; several cities were nuked during the past 85 years, leading to them being replaced by cities with new names(Megatropolis instead of NYC, Angel City instead of LA, Capital City instead of DC, Neotokyo, Freiheitstadt, etc.); most of the male "gods" of pagan pantheons appear to be dead or missing, without explanation; Gunsmoke is still on the air; Playhouse 90 occupies the "high culture" spot in tv programming, while "I Spit on Your Grave: the Series" clearly occupies the bottom rung of the "low culture" spots; Superhero names, powers and even catchphrases can be registered, leading to merchandising opportunities and/or greater cooperation from law enforcement; the most popular team sport is Battle Ball, which is developed from a "team-building exercise" used in training the first Victory brigades in WW2/The Second Ten Year War

Would LOVE to run this again--at any power level--after I'm done with school in a year or so.

How is my CU different? I'm not using the CU' date=' but my own homebrew world. There's no Dr Destroyer, or Takofanes (since the Turakian Age never existed in my campaign timeline).[/quote']

I admit to not being too fond of Takofanes -- as presented in published books he's a little too much the one-note arrogant, domineering megavillain (even more than Destroyer IMO). I find Archimago (from Creatures of the Night for Fourth Edition) a more interesting "archlich." However, I have had a role for Takofanes in mind which I haven't had a chance to run yet.

In this concept, Takofanes was once a Malvan, alive when the great war broke out between Malva and the Elder Worm for the fate of the galaxy. Unlike most of his people who relied on technology, Takofanes was a practitioner of the arcane arts. To aid his people in the war he created remarkable mystic artifacts which exist on Malva to this day, including the Furnace of the First Ones and the Wisdom Stones. Takofanes studied the magic of the Elder Worm to learn how to counter it; but its evil, chaotic power seduced and corrupted him. Takofanes pretended to side with the Worm even as he appeared to help his fellow Malvans, but actually he played one side against the other, hoping they'd destroy each other so he might emerge the dominant power in the Milky Way. But eventually both the Malvans and the Elder Worm discovered his treachery, and both turned their wrath against the world he had made the home base for his acolytes and slaves. Their planet was scorched bare of life, and all the traitors were slain.

But Takofanes' mastery of necromancy was too great for him to be permanently destroyed. After hundreds of thousands of years he returned in undead form, and reincarnated his followers in a similar state. His minions spread out from their dead world across a galaxy that had forgotten them, calling themselves the "Thane." (This version of the Thane is based on a concept developed by Scott Bennie and described in 4E Champions books, not the nonhumanoid Thane in the official 5E CU.) The Thane trade items of enchanted craft for slaves, from which Takofanes secretly creates more unliving soldiers, while using their souls to power his spells and artifacts. The Thane also recruit or create followers on various worlds, where they work to steal all the life and magic from those worlds. Takofanes' ultimate goal is to bring about the entropic death of the whole galaxy, from which he'll remake it in his own image as its god. To do this he seeks to control the wellspring from which all magic flows into the Milky Way; and he believes he's discovered that near an obscure rimward world its natives call Earth...

As you might already perceive, this Takofanes and his scheme are a deliberate homage to DC Comics' Darkseid. Echoing Darkseid's Elite, I've already picked several published CU villains to act as his agents on Earth whose nature or origins suit Tak's motif and power, foes for the PCs before they move on to the greater extraterrestrial threat: the creator and master of zombies, Rictus; Entropy, embodiment of decay and chaos (both from Villains, Vandals, And Vermin); the slaver of souls called the Lamplighter (from Arcane Adversaries); Valerian Scarlet, who bartered for sorcerous power in exchange for a steady supply of stolen soul-energy (from Vibora Bay).