[5th Ed] Randomizing Area Of Effect ?

clsage

I have this idea for a "weird west/steampunk/pulp hero" character who has, as an attack, a swarm of spinning spheres that randomly rebound thru a space and do damage. Mechanically, simple enough: Energy Blast (physical), with Area of Effect. As I recall/understand the AOE rules, the AOE shape has to be declared on initial power creation and is fixed there-after....

But I'd like the area of effect to be as random as possible, changing with each attack, to simulate the darting and rebounding of the spheres. As an example, lets say that the AOE was 4 hexes. In one attack, the 4 hexes might form a line. In another, a parallelogram. Etc, etc....

Am I missing a simple way (ie: an already existing example or modifier from the rulebook) of achieving this effect ? If so, could someone please point me to the page in question ? And if not, does anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish this ? :think:

Thanks.

-Carl-

Re: [5th Ed] Randomizing Area Of Effect ?

Hmm. would probably depend on how quick you want it to be and how 'realistic' you want the results.

You could fire into a hex and determine the next hex by rolling a D6 until you have run out of hexes of effect. That might take too much time though it might be an interesting interlude.

You could decide on a radius that takes in (for example) twenty hexes and then roll a D20 the required number of times. You might do that and draw the required number of (numbered) tokens out of a bag (which would be quicker than rolling but the affected hexes are less likely to be contguous).

The idea of non-selective is useful and limit the number of people who have to make a roll against the attack.

Doc

5ER, Pg. 249: "Area Of Effect (Any Area), +1 for a 1" Any Area for every 10 Active Points in the power; double the number of hexes for each additional +1/4. This Area Of Effect covers a variable shape- the character determines

the shape when he uses the power...."

Always remember, if you can't remember if there is an Advantage that does what you want or not, the easiest way to find out is look it up:cool:

5ER, Pg. 249: "Area Of Effect (Any Area), +1 for a 1" Any Area for every 10 Active Points in the power; double the number of hexes for each additional +1/4. This Area Of Effect covers a variable shape- the character determines

the shape when he uses the power...."

Always remember, if you can't remember if there is an Advantage that does what you want or not, the easiest way to find out is look it up:cool:

Thing is, I'm not sure it's as much of an Advantage for the area to be random as it is for the character to be able to choose consciously each use. That's why I suggested Non-Selective; while it does depend on target DCV, it is certainly random what characters (and by simple extension, what areas) are affected.

How about buying the power to its "maximum size" then putting a limitation on it "Limited Power: only does damage 50% of the time to any given hex (-1)". This way you only have to flip a coin or roll a dice for any hex that contains something important.

Thing is' date=' I'm not sure it's as much of an Advantage for the area to be random as it is for the character to be able to choose consciously each use. That's why I suggested Non-Selective; while it [i']does[/i] depend on target DCV, it is certainly random what characters (and by simple extension, what areas) are affected.

So buy the AoE Advantage as a Naked Modifier and slap No Conscious Control on just the AoE. Reduces the cost and let's the GM have a bit of fun with surprizing the players with the weird results.

So buy the AoE Advantage as a Naked Modifier and slap No Conscious Control on just the AoE. Reduces the cost and let's the GM have a bit of fun with surprising the players with the weird results.

This is almost exactly what I was looking for: a way that the shape of the AOE would not be under my control and would emulate the "random walk effect". Thanks. :thumbup:

-Carl-

Another approach might be to buy the maximum area, and limit the entire AoE with an Activation Roll. By agreement with the GM, the mechanics of this activation roll is that each +1/4 area is rolled separately. Let's say your power is AoE Radius (6") with 2 levels of increased area (so 24"). You roll the activation roll 4 times, one for each +1/4 in excess of +1/2. If none of the rolls succeed, the power is 1 hex radius (and you get no limitation on that +1/2 worth of advantages). Each successful roll expands the area from 3" to 6" to 12" to 24".

This would be easier in 6e, where AoE starts at +1/4 and rises from there.