Need game advice, *Quick*

Narf the Mouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Need game advice, *Quick*

Alright, due to one thing and another, the game was delayed two weeks.

I need a wowser of a next session.

What I've got: Davy (fallen priest) is unconscious. The PC is facing a hulking zombie and a couple of skeletal warriors.

What I'm thinking of doing:

His Hunted ("Malagor the defiler", from memory) has left him a mocking note, having received an increase in power (A few new infernal items) and a mysterious new patron.

Meanwhile, the village walls are under a last, heavy assault. Hopefully, he can finish up this fight quickly.

If not, there's a nearby monastery they can hopefully reach.

...I'm thinking it might need something extra, though. Maybe the monastery itself is under an attack - Not a major one, but enough to make an interesting close. Plus, of course, I need to think of some NPCs for him to interact with, both villagers and monks.

Brother Darrel Oak - A stern, militant, ex-military monk, he commands the monasteries defenses, mundane and non-mundane. Tends to lead from the front; works, because he's not leading even a small army.

Ned Miller - Not a monk; a peasant who's staying at the monastery to study meditation. Mostly because of a wild talent for fire manipulation. Not majorly powerful, but still...

Brother Olaf - The monasteries main defense against undead, his faith means they tend to crumble around him. Unfortunately, he lies poisoned from an arrow; poison designed specifically for him.

...My brain is cottoning. Haven't had consistent sleep for a few days.

Your last slash drives the skeleton back a few steps. You suddenly realize that the screams of the villagers have hushed. Turning around' date=' you see the mayor's home explode in flames and splintered wood. Something large and vaguely human shaped steps through the smoke. An ogre! Save that you have never seen an ogre with its flesh so rotted you can see half of its jawbone exposed. The unholy monster bellows a challenge and swats away one of the town guardsmen as though he were an annoying child. The undead fiend then charges off between two houses and you hear the sounds of battle erupt.[/i']

Oooh . . . zombie ogre! Awesome!

NOTE: I'm using 5E, so you will have to translate some of this.

Assuming 1 player game; first, have him find some healing salves/bandages (allow recovery over a hour or six) & potions (quaff and heal); second get him a NPC partner or "pick up" follower I'd suggest a ranger/thief/scout type (stealth, pick locks, missile fire, decent melee). Although your big woodsman with a big ax would work out. Give him some outdoor tracking/hunting skills.

Healing capability is critical to avoid death. Partner allows you to insert clues and provide side info. As long as your brother is focused on being a close melee type (maybe with some paladinish anti-undead powers under training) then you can just hand wave side events. My current group of three are two melees and a bard (sage/buffer/throwing knives), but they still have a NPC "minder" or three around for various purposes to suit me. The main "buddy" is a solid melee who "soaks up" some side targets as needed (and I fake in enough "extras" to keep him out of main fights mostly).

General advice: Plot, plot, plot. Give yourself as many notes as possible in advance. Write descriptions of areas and critters. I use area hits (set up a quick random in a spreadsheet to get hit locations) even when not doing hit locations. Then I can just mark them off as I go and I get to say: "Ok, the Saurian warrior swings his two handed mace (roll to hit as you speak) and scores a (rolling for damage) hard hit in your hand. You take X/Y BODY/STUN.