Battleground: Fantasy Warfare (help wanted)

Curufea

Re: Battleground: Fantasy Warfare (help wanted)

Probably the one thing I would suggest is spreading the races across the map. Warhammer puts one race here and another race there, which actually limits the possible interactions geographically and makes little sense as well. There's no reason there can't be several "base" areas for each race, especially as civilizations ebb, flow, and migrate across the landscape. There might also be hotly contested geographical regions similar to the Balkans, central Asia, or Southeast Asia--areas that seem to always be battlegrounds, with occasional breaks of peace. (Not that there can't be wars in other areas, of course.)

Yeah, one of the main discussion points on the thread of the map is should it go for realism, or should it go for playability with every faction having equal borders with every other. My compromise idea here is to introduce gates, or possibly some other magical form of transport which would allow different nations to interact even when they don't share a physical border.

Also, I do like the idea that races have homes that aren't at war, but colonies of these races elsewhere may be. It certainly lends itself to the faction naming scheme "Dwarves of Runegard", "Elves of Ravenwood", "Men of Hawkshold" certainly implies that these races are elsewhere as well, and that the armies are from a particular location. The armies - Orcs, Undead and Lizardmen are a generic enough term that the faction could represent anywhere. Likewise the Umenzi Tribesmen - tribesmen implies tribal and possibly nomadic lifestyles, and again could just be a small part of the race as a whole.

I agree with Old Man that you want to maximise the potential for conflict between any one of the races.

My model would be the Congo where you have a resource rich area of land that is being contested by a number of surrounding nations to the detriment of the local inhabitants.

To avoid the tragedy of this, I think that I would have a central continent surrounded by an archipelago of islands. Each of the islands might be dominated by one or other races but they are all short of a magical resource available only on the large interior of the central continent. The problem is that the resource was the result of a huge experimental mistake that killed almost everyone but caused their reanimation into monsters and undead.

This means that most of the set piece contests will take place on the central continent with the added potential interest of a third part intent only on killing everyone. making use of the blind fury of the undead might be a decent tactic in battles.

You could also have set piece contests as one race tries to oust another from a strategically important island and potentially allows for naval conflicts as well.

Doc

Yeah' date=' one of the main discussion points on the thread of the map is should it go for realism, or should it go for playability with every faction having equal borders with every other. My compromise idea here is to introduce gates, or possibly some other magical form of transport which would allow different nations to interact even when they don't share a physical border.[/quote']

Exactly. I'm shooting for playability over complete realism, but the map still needs to make some sense. Of course, nations don't need physical borders to interact even in real life. Neutral "territory" like oceans or deserts can create a way for one nation to get at another without having a shared border per se. Or they could just overrun intervening nations; Alexander the Great made it all the way to India, and the Germans have a tendency to go through Belgium on the way to France. And then there's always magic.