Abstract Money System?

Wizard

Re: Abstract Money System?

Looking for something like a cross between what is used in d20 Modern and World of Darkness. I am working on a concept at the moment that relies on rolling some dice when you purchase/sell things and am basically looking for ideas so I can flesh it out a bit better.

Looking for something like a cross between what is used in d20 Modern and World of Darkness. I am working on a concept at the moment that relies on rolling some dice when you purchase/sell things and am basically looking for ideas so I can flesh it out a bit better.

The most detail I've seen on such systems are the Wealth system in DC Heroes/Blood of Heroes and the old Marvel Super Heroes RPGs, although there are several around.

The old Danger International game had Money Points, I think.

The problem with those systems are that they do not actually make it very abstract - you need to add a new value to represent a range of values corresponding to monetary value:

Wealth (Hero, Well Off or better; numbers rounded off for ease of reference)

0 up to $75,000 per year (6,000 monthly / 1,500 weekly)

1 up to $100,000 per year (8,000 monthly / 2,000 weekly)

2 up to $200,000 per year (16,000 monthly / 4,000 weekly)

3 up to $300,000 per year (32,000 monthly / 8,000 weekly)

etc.

You'd have to either create new values or divide these numbers up for how much you can buy per month or per week, like above, and make a "Money Roll" of some sort - say (Wealth+11) or less):

Say you want to buy something costing $3,200 in real world terms, and that would be assigned a modifier of 2 (per the weekly purchase ability), and act as a modifier to your "Money Roll";

If you are a standard "Middle" Class character having purchased no points of Wealth (the Money Perk), the roll would then be an unmodified 11-, applying the cost modifier for $3,200 (-2 since you're paying):

9- to afford it right now, take some Extra Time if you want to try again, or seek out a Contact. :)

This was just an example, but instead of simplifying things by abstracting money, you add another step of calculation, and a Roll, so having tested a few such systems myself, I'd advise you to either keep it fully abstract if it has no bearing on the campaign, or use real units if you want a sense of realism. I understand your idea, but IME this rarely works out very convenient in practice.

If you still want to try it you might do something along the lines above, divided by transaction ability, time, or what have you.

There's also the optional Resource Point system at the end of the Advanced Player's Guide, which while not dealing with game-world money directly basically allows characters to collect whatever gear they come across for later but puts a point limit on how much of that they can have available as their 'kit' for a given adventure. (You can earn increases to that limit much like you can experience, or you can just throw character points at it to get more Resource Points than the campaign standard in the first place.)

like in a free market where prices are not set?

There's also the optional Resource Point system at the end of the Advanced Player's Guide' date=' which while not dealing with game-world money directly basically allows characters to collect whatever gear they come across for later but puts a point limit on how much of that they can have available as their 'kit' for a given adventure. (You can earn increases to that limit much like you can experience, or you can just throw character points at it to get more Resource Points than the campaign standard in the first place.)[/quote']

I was going to use the Resource Point system initially but I want to appeal to my players sense of greed :eg:. So I am after something a bit more tangible but want to avoid all the modern day money issues such as credit cards, discounts, scams, etc.

like in a free market where prices are not set?

Yeap, plus I want to add a bit of a fun factor to it as well. I think I have the concept but I need to flesh the details out to make sure it all fits together. I will share if it all works out so I can get some feedback.

Right off the top of my head I am thinking that the player should buy disposable income rather than annual salary. That shows the discretionary amount of money available to him after living costs are taken into account.

I would then try to use a system like 5th edition contacts (haven't read 6th edition contacts yet) - if you tap your wealth to accomplish something then you are using the 'goodwill' of your savings like youd be using the favour of your contact..

Any purchase might be possible but you roll with modifiers based on the cost being applied to your wealth.

If you fail you either do not make the purchase, or you gain a debt.

The debt will grow unless you reduce the base roll on future wealth checks. If the value of the debt, at any point, exceeds the wealth roll then the character becomes bankrupt.

As a bankrupt you might gain a social complication and a time limited reduction on your wealth roll in addition to an inability (for a limited period of time) to gain debts due to future purchases.

Doc

An out of the box option would be to treat wealth as a variation on the contact mechanic, but with a different set of adders that might represent credit rating, diversification of assets, ready liquid assets, or access to special markets (like black markets). The roll could be modified by things like how much is needed, how fast its needed, how encumbered the character is, whether its their own assets or a loan, etcetera. If a characters roll reflects the ability to leverage millions regularly - or even tens of millions - you could allow them to "take 11" for lesser purchases (a mere Bentley) or give positive modifiers to an respectable base roll. Its not how the book currently handles it, but as far as chop shop hero goes its just a tweak of an extant mechanic.

EDIT: I just noticed Doc Democracy suggested the same thing. Late to the party - no glory.