help with "must follow grab"

hepatitvsj

Hi all. I haven't found this answer on the forums...my search-fu is weak

I hope someone can clarify this for me...I have never been able to understand how someone can grab (atk action) and then use a power if the grab is a phase ending action. (this is mostly about the must follow grab limitation. I understand what requires an atk roll means.)

as I understand it someone uses the grab power (doing STR dam or not) and the next phase they act if the unfortunate grabbee(sic?) hasn't escaped, the grabber then uses the power (e.g. drain STR 3D6 ,must follow grab) but cannot then use his STR to do damage.

I have read fred extensively, and 6th(sextuple+th=seth? I haven't seen 6th referred to as anything yet so this is my suggestion) but I just can't find the pieces.

thanks in advance for the answers. J

Re: help with "must follow grab"

Hi all. I haven't found this answer on the forums...my search-fu is weak

I hope someone can clarify this for me...I have never been able to understand how someone can grab (atk action) and then use a power if the grab is a phase ending action. (this is mostly about the must follow grab limitation. I understand what requires an atk roll means.)

as I understand it someone uses the grab power (doing STR dam or not) and the next phase they act if the unfortunate grabbee(sic?) hasn't escaped, the grabber then uses the power (e.g. drain STR 3D6 ,must follow grab) but cannot then use his STR to do damage.

Just what Derek Hiemforth said above, you seem to have it already.

If you're thinking of the "but cannot then use his STR to do damage" part of it, that applies only when the Drain is used, otherwise both can be done as a Multiple Attack (this particular combo also falls under Combined Attack specific subset in 6E), and the character can theoretically use either the "Must Follow Grab", or the Squeeze option, or both, as long as the target remains Grabbed (hasn't yet Escaped).

I have read fred extensively, and 6th(sextuple+th=seth? I haven't seen 6th referred to as anything yet so this is my suggestion) but I just can't find the pieces.

thanks in advance for the answers. J
6th Edition is usually abbreviated as 6E1 or 6E2 (Volume 1 and 2 respectively), BR for the Basic Rulebook, and APG for the Advanced Player's Guide. Alternative names for 6th Edition still prompt some new discussions, as ever.
;)

I meant to pu something in about doing str dam and draining...my OP was not clear on this.

It's good to know I have the right idea but when making a multiple attack on a grabbed character what is the penalty other than the dcv one since the target is already grabbed there isn't an atk roll for the str dam or drain (unless something happens but I'm afb right now and I just realized I can prob read multiple atks tonight and get my answer but I already wrote this much and i need to say thanks to all the posters anyway so I'll just go ahead and finish this)

J

P.S. thanks to all who posted

as an alternative

you could buy the drain as a trigger power, apply the advantage, set to go off "when you squeeze for damage" and get both the squeeze damage and the drain at the same time.

i haven't reread the combined attack rules tho to see if " i squeeze and i drain" is a valid combined attack.

I like the trigger idea...mostly I needed the clarification for a character build wherein a teleporter would grab someone and rapidly teleport multiple times which put stress on the grabbee or grabber. (yes this idea is stolen straight from nightcrawler)

I wasn't sure about whether someone could define it as when grabbing or grabbed...makes sense though.

I think I'm good now. I am just going to define must follow grab as replacing the STR dam aspect of a grab...basically whoever grabs can do STR or a MFG ability but not both unless they buy a trigger.

thanks for the responses all...love this community and Hero! Long Live Seth!