Batman meets Doc Savage

Susano

Re: Batman meets Doc Savage

It made Kath laugh last night and she doesn't even like Full Frontal Nerdity.

OTOH, isn't Doc Savage the one who used to lobotomise his captured foes to make them "more useful to society"? I'm not seeing Big Blue getting down with that. Heck, given Batman's spazz out over the JLA messing with their enemies' memories, I'm not even seeing Bats getting down with that.

cheers, Mark

OTOH, isn't Doc Savage the one who used to lobotomise his captured foes to make them "more useful to society"? I'm not seeing Big Blue getting down with that. Heck, given Batman's spazz out over the JLA messing with their enemies' memories, I'm not even seeing Bats getting down with that.

cheers, Mark

Well, yeah., he did. But then, Bats shot a few people early on.

Guest steamteck

cheers, Mark

Actually he "removed their criminal gland". Trying to make a modern sense of that nonsense led to the lobotomy theory

It was actual brain surgery, not just a lobotomy. Batman was a shooter for awhile to as pointed out, and even when "evolved", is still the guy responsible for the Brother Eye O.M.A.C debacle (Running, OMAC, whom WAS cool before that *sniff*)....

first_wave_cv12_02.jpgl_1b9d81fd2a8c4346a714c9c59f0dc9d2.jpg

docspirit.jpgbmdsav-cv1-var-copy.jpg

THIS, was really good stuff by the way, and the fact that DC is basically going to go Hardcore with all the Pulp folks again, ranks hish on my list of Must Haves. First Wave is what they'll be calling it as far as a Comic "Family, and well, Golden Age Batman, Doc Savage, The Spirit, Blackhawk, Justice Inc, The Avenger, The Shadow.........Sign me up I'm there. Marvel made it pretty easy to now that I know all I have to do is Drop everything with the name Bendis or Loeb on it, frees up money for this amazing material. http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/tag/first-wave/

~Rex

BTW -- anyone ever read Roger Zelazny's Roadmarks? Doc shows up in that... along with John Sunlight.

Is that one about time travel on a road through time, Hitler driving a VW Bug looking for a time where he wins, and all the chapters are numbered Two,One,Two,One,etc.?

Is that one about time travel on a road through time' date=' Hitler driving a VW Bug looking for a time where he wins, and all the chapters are numbered Two,One,Two,One,etc.?[/quote']

Yup. Aside from Hitler and Doc Savage there are a scattering of other cameos... including (IIRC) Jack the Ripper.

As far as "lobotimizing" criminals goes, you have to remember that at the time of the Man of Bronze's creation brain surgery was a new and evolving field, and doctors believed it held the potential to cure all sorts of mental illnesses. Such treatments were still being performed into the 1960s. In theory it was considered more humane and socially beneficial than executing or even imprisoning criminals. That fits with Doc Savage's pacifistic ideals -- after all, he and his crew carried tranquilizer-dart guns rather than live ammo.

(I do recall a scene from the underrated (albeit campy) Doc Savage movie starring Ron Ely, in which the master villain of the film is shown after Doc's surgery made him "a productive member of society" -- working as a groundskeeper, raking leaves with a vacuous look on his face. :snicker:

Right, but it still wasn't Lobotomy. Hated that movie though it had good PARTS. The new flick, should be rockstar if they pull it off right. So far though, the First Wave stuff from DC, is at a level unto it's own. Which makes sense really because if you screw up Doc Savage, or The Spirit, fans, will find you, and their Wrath, will be far more then a jack Kirby Thor, saying he will have Words with you.

~Rex

THIS, was really good stuff by the way, and the fact that DC is basically going to go Hardcore with all the Pulp folks again, ranks hish on my list of Must Haves. First Wave is what they'll be calling it as far as a Comic "Family, and well, Golden Age Batman, Doc Savage, The Spirit, Blackhawk, Justice Inc, The Avenger, The Shadow.........Sign me up I'm there. Marvel made it pretty easy to now that I know all I have to do is Drop everything with the name Bendis or Loeb on it, frees up money for this amazing material. http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/tag/first-wave/

~Rex

Yeah, I have been looking forward to First Wave comics for months, and every sneak preview they have given us has just looked better and better. Boy, I'm glad that we have almost made it to March.

First Wave, is going to rock out like an Arena show. With the Line Up they are using (As well as little things, like using the Early Detective Comics Batman, who will be refered to properly, as THE Batman), and the fact they are running with the Product of the times, even the minor creative changes they are going to make (Chop Chop being the field leader of the Blackhawks for example, and you never......ever.....call him Chop Chop) FIT, with the established stories for all these characters (We get WildCat as well. :D )

With the creative team they have, they can't lose.

Here's a small article for those scratching their heads and wondering what us old school pulp fans are blabbering about.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23294

~Rex

First Wave, is going to rock out like an Arena show. With the Line Up they are using (As well as little things, like using the Early Detective Comics Batman, who will be refered to properly, as THE Batman), and the fact they are running with the Product of the times, even the minor creative changes they are going to make (Chop Chop being the field leader of the Blackhawks for example, and you never......ever.....call him Chop Chop) FIT, with the established stories for all these characters (We get WildCat as well. :D )

With the creative team they have, they can't lose.

Here's a small article for those scratching their heads and wondering what us old school pulp fans are blabbering about.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23294

~Rex

Oh, yeah. Jonesing *hard* for this one...