• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I love me some xenomorphs!

Yep.....1976....l_74923_795d7149.jpg and then Mother_Jugs_And_Speed.jpg

Or even.....MotherJugsAndSpeed.png ....She also looked like this in 1976:

RW19761020.JPG

So I still say.....Woulda been a hell of a Ripley. Still looks good today to. But seriously, All us Old Farts had MUCH better Hollywood Hotties to pick from then you kids today......

~Rex

Yes, but then you would have gone from having a cast of relative nobodies to having a cast of Raquel Welch and a bunch of victims. This is why horror movies rarely cast A-list stars. (Well, one reason anyway. The other reason is that A-list stars are frightfully expensive and horror films generally don't have that kind of budget. Alien had SFX to pay for as well.)

Strangely, I'm not a fan of mixing sexual attractiveness with horror and violence.

"I'm turned on", "I'm disgusted", "I'm getting turned on while watching disgusting things", "horror now turns me on"

I'll prefer to keep my psyche balanced, thank you very much.

Yeah I think it's just a staple of Fear in general. The Unknown, Unseen, is more scary then the "Whoop There it Is!"......I never really considered the predator to be a Horror Critter though. Action Movie fare all the way with that thing. The Xenomorph though, still feels more effective as a Horror Critter, then an Action Critter. Out in the open, it's just a cockroach that drools. Nothing really special about it. In fact, the more they try and make it look cool in the spotlight, and bright lights, the more special it seems to lose.

If they take what they can do nowadays for it's LOOK, and go back to it's Horror Roots (less is more.....hell even rack up the face hugger gestation to the level of the first movie instead of the 5 minutes poof it's a chest burster).....I digress.....Take it back and go with what worked. It's not scary at all if it's nothing more then FPS format action fodder.

~Rex

which makes doing a good sequel problematic

Never stopped any horror franchise before.

There's two routes to go - make the unseen into a character - Aliens, Halloween, Friday 13th, Freddy etc...

Or make the unseen remain unseen, but change the characters, setting and/or plot - Final Destination, The Grudge, Ringu, Blair Witch.

Sorry - I can't parse that sentence' date=' you have two diametrically opposed words in a row.[/quote']

Y'know, a good sequel, like Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, or Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan. Or Aliens in fact.

There have been so few GOOD sequels though......

~Rex

Mainly because most sequels attempt to simply recycle what the first movie did, instead of going somewhere new.

IMO, good sequels are:

Aliens

Desperado

Spider-man II

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Superman II

The Dark Knight

The Empire Strikes Back

The Road Warrior

Toy Story II

Now, this refers to direct film sequels. Things like Harry Potter, LOTR, and Narnia don't count.