Samurai-esque world

Fidchell

Not sure if this the right section however:

I recently decided to run a game inspired by games/movies/anime with Samurai in them and a few of my friends agreed to play. None of us have ever run or played a Heroes game. A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea for me to come up with some example Templates and powers.

I'm thinking of running a 275 or 300 point game in 6th edition with Characteristic Maxima and requesting for active costs to be less than 45 when the game starts.

Any ideas, classic samurai/ninja/whatever techniques, suggestions out there?

Re: Samurai-esque world

I ran a chanbara game, where the players were all members of a samurai household caught up in a war, which was quasi-historical - but with weird elements (over-the-top martial arts, the odd ghost, evil Dragon cultists, etc) thrown into the mix.

It was much lower scale - 125 total points at start, no cap on active points - but as the game ran for several years, playing twice a month, we had characters topping out at in the 250+ points range. My old website with the game and background is defunct, now that the hoster has closed up shop, but at some point I should get the whole thing reformatted and up on my own site. In the meantime I can send you the NPC and adventures, if you are interested. It's all 5th ed. but not difficult to update.

cheers, Mark

Not sure if this the right section however:

I recently decided to run a game inspired by games/movies/anime with Samurai in them and a few of my friends agreed to play. None of us have ever run or played a Heroes game. A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea for me to come up with some example Templates and powers.

I'm thinking of running a 275 or 300 point game in 6th edition with Characteristic Maxima and requesting for active costs to be less than 45 when the game starts.

Any ideas, classic samurai/ninja/whatever techniques, suggestions out there?

See if you can find Ninja Hero (for 5E) or wait until Hero System Martial Arts comes out. You might alway want the Asian Bestiary Volumes I & II. In addition, I have some useful articles here, on my website, http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/herosource.html#NH. They include information on Japanese armor and weapons (written for Markdoc's game) as well as a loose translation of Feng Shui's "Fu Schticks" over to Hero (in 4 weeks or so, that'll be for 6E as well). I also have a number of original characters here: http://surbrook.devermore.net/original/originalchar.html, one of who is Motoyoshi Jiro, one of my PCs from Markdoc's game.

See if you can find Ninja Hero (for 5E) or wait until Hero System Martial Arts comes out. You might alway want the Asian Bestiary Volumes I & II. In addition' date=' I have some useful articles here, on my website, http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/herosource.html#NH. They include information on Japanese armor and weapons (written for Markdoc's game) as well as a loose translation of [i']Feng Shui's[/i] "Fu Schticks" over to Hero (in 4 weeks or so, that'll be for 6E as well). I also have a number of original characters here: http://surbrook.devermore.net/original/originalchar.html, one of who is Motoyoshi Jiro, one of my PCs from Markdoc's game.

Actually you just reminded me, I was going to re-read the armor section again. Last time I read it I hadn't slept and somehow it managed to confuse my tired mind.

Thank you both,

Fidchell

Post Scriptum: Susano your website has actually been useful reading it over, as I always like to see other peoples creations in a system I plan to or have played.

I ran a chanbara game, where the players were all members of a samurai household caught up in a war, which was quasi-historical - but with weird elements (over-the-top martial arts, the odd ghost, evil Dragon cultists, etc) thrown into the mix.

It was much lower scale - 125 total points at start, no cap on active points - but as the game ran for several years, playing twice a month, we had characters topping out at in the 250+ points range. My old website with the game and background is defunct, now that the hoster has closed up shop, but at some point I should get the whole thing reformatted and up on my own site. In the meantime I can send you the NPC and adventures, if you are interested. It's all 5th ed. but not difficult to update.

cheers, Mark

Thanks to the magnificent Internet Archive Wayback Machine, most of your old website can still be viewed: SENGOKU for HERO 5E. Even for those running Sixth Edition, the examples and background material here would still be very valuable. :thumbup:

Thanks to the magnificent Internet Archive Wayback Machine' date=' most of your old website can still be viewed: SENGOKU for HERO 5E. Even for those running Sixth Edition, the examples and background material here would still be very valuable. :thumbup:

And one of the characters in the game ended up in Ninja Hero! ^_^

Thanks to the magnificent Internet Archive Wayback Machine' date=' most of your old website can still be viewed: SENGOKU for HERO 5E. Even for those running Sixth Edition, the examples and background material here would still be very valuable. :thumbup:

Dang! I had forgotten about that! I'd rep you if I hadn't done it too recently!

cheers, Mark

One of the coolest/most successful games I've ever run was that kind of game. My power levels were lower than yours (150pts) but this was run back in the 4th edition days.

My biggest suggestion is to simply saturate yourself in the source material. If you are a chanbara or anime fan already, I'm sure you'll know all my examples, but here they are anyway:

Jubei Ninpucho (Ninja Scroll) one of the finest examples to draw inspiration from. This is a MUST SEE for any GM who wants to run this type of campaign setting.

Rouroni Kenshin/Samurai X: Another must see, this will show you how to present crazy martial arts and weapons techniques into your game.

Basilisk: Crazy ninja action, there is also a live action movie called Shinobi which I haven't seen yet but have heard good things about. If you want to include crazy ninja stuff into your game, check this out for some inspiration. Also good to get a feel for the Koga vs Iga rivalry.

Samurai Deeper Kyo: Similar to Kenshin in many ways, but also very different. This one is also recommended, (but not as highly as the first three entries).

Curse of the Yoma: A must see if you plan to include supernatural elements such as demons, undead and ghosts in your campaign. Super creepy.

Yotoden: Another highly recommended ninja action show. This was one of the primary inspirations for my own campaign.

Inu Yasha: a little on the light hearted side at times, but still very good for creature inspiration.

Also, do tons of research on whichever era you decide to set it in (my suggestion is the Sengoku era of cours. Tons of legends and stories from this era are easily found on the net)

I've seen Shinobi and found it to be an excellent' date=' if scaled down, adaptation of [i']Basilisk[/i].

And a warning on Jubei Ninpucho -- it's R-rated for a reason!

Interesting tidbit - did you know that both of those are drawn from different novels by the same author?

cheers, Mark