Herb that heals 'Impairing Effects' or 'Disabling Effects'

mayapuppies

Re: Herb that heals 'Impairing Effects' or 'Disabling Effects'

Hmm. I'm trying to remember which game it was that required two kinds of healing - I think there was something in D&D (imagine that) where you could resurrect someone but if you had not previously healed the damage that caused the death then they would immediately die again.

I 'think' it was D&D, I seem to remember that of the 2 spells Clerics had, Resurrect could bring you back from most anything, but Raise Dead simply reanimated your corpse, without actually healing any physical trauma or removing the poison that killed you.

RoleMaster, with it's Increased Detail Level of Everything, has even more far-reaching requirements.

RoleMaster, with it's Increased Detail Level of Everything, has even more far-reaching requirements.

You ain't whistlin' Dixie there.

one of the things I kinda dug about Rolemaster was the amount of magic research the player had to perform to play an effective spellcaster.

You ain't whistlin' Dixie there.

one of the things I kinda dug about Rolemaster was the amount of magic research the player had to perform to play an effective spellcaster.

Which is actually why I started that 'vanilla' thread. I cut my teeth on Rolemaster and got accustomed to the spell system with a great love for it.

Which is actually why I started that 'vanilla' thread. I cut my teeth on Rolemaster and got accustomed to the spell system with a great love for it.

I still love Rolemaster, and although it has gotten simpler in more recent editions/incarnations, convincing players to try it is near impossible. For all the often-heard (and unjustified) complaints I hear about how 'complex' Hero is, It's got nothing on RM.

I still love Rolemaster' date=' and although it has gotten simpler in more recent editions/incarnations, convincing players to try it is near impossible. For all the often-heard (and unjustified) complaints I hear about how 'complex' Hero is, It's got nothing on RM.[/quote']

I actually found D&D 3.x to be far more complex than Rolemaster. :)

There are only a limited number of things you can injure in the human body, and a relatively limited number of ways you can injure them. Whilst Hero presents a 'who care's how you broke it, it is better now' approach, there is no reason a given game could not use a more complicated way to calculate what a given injury consisted of and how you might heal it. RM, IIRC, used an infeasibly large number of tables....and if you wan that much detail you'll need to do the same, but there is always middle ground. The attached document is something I just knocked up to demonstrate options.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of Disabling, you could use the guideline for Side Effects of each 1 Character Point of Complication/Disadvantage = 1 BODY for purposes of Healing (H6e1.394).

I suppose you could also treat lesser Impairments like LTE for recovery REC/day or /5 hours of rest.

You could create a scale of injuries based on the Time Chart for REC Healing of the BODY / Character Point Complication/Disadvantage equivalent; like Drains etc. have to buy up on the Time Chart for inflicting long-term BODY Damage, you could have Healing similarly have to buy up on the Time Chart to effect the more serious injuries.