What Happened to the Hominids Who Were Smarter Than Us?

Nyrath

Re: What Happened to the Hominids Who Were Smarter Than Us?

Yes! Now you're talking. You could develop that into an entire game universe. Complete with an early, middle, and late era background settings (depending upon how mature the Boskop master plan is).

And that was a rather penetrating insight about Boskop females looking like an anime. Especially if they have big eyes. The players will love that.

I wonder if the Boskop can be played in a similar manner to the Pak Protectors from Larry Niven's Protector. They too are creatures with hyperintelligence that are somewhat related to homo sapiens. This would be a big help to the game master or player who has to actually play one of these creatures.

Boskop... Boskone...

Coincidence? I think not! :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the Boskop can be played in a similar manner to the Pak Protectors from Larry Niven's Protector. They too are creatures with hyperintelligence that are somewhat related to homo sapiens. This would be a big help to the game master or player who has to actually play one of these creatures.

Players: "So you're telling us that you guys actually run the world? So where's your hyper-advanced technology?"

Boskop: "We no longer need it"

cheers, Mark

Players: "So why are you coming back here then?"

Boskop: "We're here for your women, hand them over peacefully please."

Result: GM: World wide.....Every Ex-Wife, Mother In Law, Ex-Girlfriend, Girlfriends nagging sister, and Older or younger annoying female sibling or relative is handed over.......

Players: "All your's dudes, party on."

~Rex

It's in the first paragraph in the linked story in the OP. It's really neat.

The debunking story that Lucius linked to a few posts down is even neater. In a deflating way that leaves you meditating on early 20th Century scientific racism, I mean. And now that I think about it, didn't Crawford Killian have Boskop characters in Empire of Time, speaking of time travel and lit crit professors and science fiction?

Boskop... Boskone...

Coincidence? I think not! :)

I see I wasn't the only one to think of that. I did decide not to use it in the CIV II scenario I'm doing.

The debunking story that Lucius linked to a few posts down is even neater. In a deflating way that leaves you meditating on early 20th Century scientific racism, I mean.

I didn't mention racism, although I suppose it was probably a factor. I came across the fact that even in the 20s and 30s some scientists argued that the Boskop were the ancestors of the Bushmen. No doubt racism played a role in resisting that idea.

But mostly they were guilty of not realizing that differences in skull size could represent individual variation rather than marking distinctions of species, and of being unaware that the craniums of Homo Sapiens have been gradually shrinking for a long time - a "counterintuitive" trend that no one at the time had caught on to yet.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Man

The debunking story is now part of the main link. However' date=' since the debunking story gets in the way of an awesome Star Hero campaign, it is obviously a Boskop disinformation plot.[/quote']

Hmm....Obviously one started by the Boskop themselves, until they finish evolving into the Boskone.....

~Rex

They're just being quiet. Boskops have an inherent vulnerability to Flame, and fear Trolls. Though in the Star HERO thread they can lurk a touch easier. Watching. From the dark corners.

~Rex

At least that's what they may or may not WANT you to think. Or perhaps, it's what YOU want us to think.

~Rex

Wait.. wait... now I'm lost. Let's start over.... I was supposed to kill the dude with the thing, right?