OK this is just too cool: XKCD does a visual representation of Gravity Wells

Kraven Kor

Re: OK this is just too cool: XKCD does a visual representation of Gravity Wells

That is really nice! Thanks Kraven. Great to imagine a solar system in those terms for a hard SF campaign.

Would be nice to see just how deep the sun is. Very very deep does get the idea across though. Although with that graphic and wikipedia I guess the keen reader could probably work it out.

Re: OK this is just too cool: XKCD does a visual representation of Gravity Wells

Would be nice to see just how deep the sun is. Very very deep does get the idea across though. Although with that graphic and wikipedia I guess the keen reader could probably work it out.

Well, it is pretty easy if you are a rocket geek like me. The equation is on the diagram.

For the large version of the map, my calculations indicate that the sun's gravity well would be about 62,710 pixels deep, and the sun at the bottom would have a diameter of 4350 pixels.

I can show my work if anybody is interested, otherwise I won't bore you.