How to cram crew members into your spacecraft

Nyrath

Re: How to cram crew members into your spacecraft

1) I don't like being crammed with that many people that close together.

2) I don't like being stuck there for that long with no way to get out.

3) I'm not afraid of flying. I'm afraid of crashing.

Fair enough - I have friends who also suffer "airplane anxiety" - they manage to fly, though I know they don't like it (one always goes to the airport an hour in advance, so she can have a couple of drinks to help her relax). I was just a bit surprised by the vehemence of your reaction.

I don't much care being jammed into economy for 26 hours either (that's what it usually takes to get to New Zealand from here), but for me, restricting my world to the size of the space I can reach by land or sea transport would be intolerable. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

cheers, Mark

Fair enough - I have friends who also suffer "airplane anxiety" - they manage to fly, though I know they don't like it (one always goes to the airport an hour in advance, so she can have a couple of drinks to help her relax). I was just a bit surprised by the vehemence of your reaction.

I don't much care being jammed into economy for 26 hours either (that's what it usually takes to get to New Zealand from here), but for me, restricting my world to the size of the space I can reach by land or sea transport would be intolerable. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

cheers, Mark

For me it's the noise and the cramped conditions. A few hours is OK, but my last couple of flights to and from China or Australia were near interminable. Business class would be nicer, but I'm a member of the economy tribe. I don't really mind the flying part, unless there's substantial turbulence.

Keith "I gets the airsick bad, then" Curtis

I can't believe that it hasn't been brought up, but if I've learned anything from TV, it is that spacecraft always carry one incredibly sexy girl in a catsuit. For short trips, I'll let her sit in my lap!

Why no, people don't refer to me as a creepy old man. Why do you ask?

I like the idea of Hibernation pods' date=' then you can stack the passengers like cord wood :D Passengercicles! FTW![/quote']

In the RPG Traveller, hibernation pods are "steerage class" for starship passengers, since a certain percentage of the passengers die. On the more seedy starships, the crew has a betting pool for how many passenger survive.

In the RPG Traveller' date=' hibernation pods are "steerage class" for starship passengers, since a certain percentage of the passengers die. On the more seedy starships, the crew has a betting pool for how many passenger survive.[/quote']

In Polaris, it's the same but for some different reasons. Mainly, passengers aren't hibernating at all, waiting all the trip long in their small pods. Living space is a luxury in Polaris.