Multipower are so common, why not just cut every cost by 2 ?

IKerensky

Re: Multipower are so common, why not just cut every cost by 2 ?

I don't consider "argument from adjustment power" to have much validity.

The mechanics of the MP make it a single Power, not what adjustment powers may or may not do to it.

I don't consider an argument based on personal opinion not supported in the rules to have much validity either.

From 5er, pg 316:

MULTIPOWER

A character with a Multipower has several different Powers that draw from a common pool of Character Points (known as a Multipower reserve).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider an argument based on personal opinion not supported in the rules to have much validity either.

From 5er, pg 316:

Mechanically, you only get to use one of the Powers in an MP at full AP at any one time, and if they're fixed slots, you only get one Power at a time full stop. The game can call it what it wants, doesn't really matter, the mechanical reality is that it's a single power, with extra points paid in HERO for the versatililty.

Mechanically' date=' you only get to use one of the Powers in an MP at full AP at any one time, and if they're fixed slots, you only get one Power at a time full stop. The game can call it what it wants, doesn't really matter, the mechanical reality is that it's a single power, with extra points paid in HERO for the versatililty.[/quote']

Not true.

I've built several character's multipowers with Reserves that are twice the size of the slots with the express purpose of using any 2 slots simultaneously.

Your argument doesn't hold water.

to get any significant points out of a Unified Powered Limitation ,

the limitation would have to be on the pool itself and thus on all slots within the multi-power

which would restrict the range of powers the character could have inside the multi-power.

to get any significant points out of a Unified Powered Limitation ,

the limitation would have to be on the pool itself and thus on all slots within the multi-power

which would restrict the range of powers the character could have inside the multi-power.

No, it would mean that all the powers are affected at the same rate by negative adjustment powers. There should be a reason for that. It could be that these are all manifestations of Fire Powers. It could be that all these completely different abilities are run by a central battery in Armor Man's armor, so any negative adjustment power is considered to weaken the battery, not the power itself.

No' date=' it would mean that all the powers are affected at the same rate by negative adjustment powers. There should be a reason for that. It could be that these are all manifestations of Fire Powers. It could be that all these completely different abilities are run by a central battery in Tony Stark's chest, so any negative adjustment power is considered to weaken the battery, not the power itself.

...fixed that for you...

Not true.

I've built several character's multipowers with Reserves that are twice the size of the slots with the express purpose of using any 2 slots simultaneously.

Your argument doesn't hold water.

His claim that

if they're fixed slots, you only get one Power at a time full stop.

is not true.

But his assertion that a Multipower is, conceptually speaking, a single power, makes sense.

Lucius Alexander

Multipalindromedary

His claim that

is not true.

But his assertion that a Multipower is, conceptually speaking, a single power, makes sense.

Lucius Alexander

Multipalindromedary

As I've stated earlier, it makes sense as a possible sfx but there is nothing in the rules that requires it.

His claim that

if they're fixed slots, you only get one Power at a time full stop.

is not true.

If you have enough points in the MP to run multiple fixed slots, then you just have a more versatile single power.

Personally, I would never allow an MP that wasn't in some way tied together in terms of SFX, and in such a way as to explain why the character could only use one or two powers at full potential at a time.

A random collection of powers with no connection would not fly, to the point that it has never occured to me to create a character with an MP that was anything of the sort.

If GMs out there are allowing random-shopping-cart MPs, then I think that the original poster's objection to them as "just a big discount" actually has a bit more validity. My comment that an MP was a single power with extra spent for versatility, was in response to that assertion that MPs are just a list of discount powers.

To be honest I think you guys are thinking too hard :)

As a GM I could live with gadgets as a MP as long as the concept was sound. First and formost the Active Points of the MP represent the ability of the gadgeteer. Thats how strong he can make his/her gadgets. As long as more than one isn't in play at any one time I think the representation is fine. Amusing as Mr Waters' Batman example is, when Batman hands a shuriken to a tenament kid its no longer a 2d6RKA its just a momento.