Magic Resistance

Jfry

Hey y'all,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I just did a search and can't seem to find it. I'm interested in a character that magic doesn't have much effect on. The effect I'd like to have is something like cutting the effect of any spell used on him by half, though I'm flexible. Something that caused things to fizzle 11- might be interesting as well.

I could see doing Dam Reduction 50% -- or possibly Dam Negation, using the new 6e rules. The problem here is that either of these would normally help versus something like a Hold Person spell. Is there a way to buy Dispel as a defense?

How have you (or would you) build this?

Thanks!

Jeff

Re: Magic Resistance

And a follow-up: this has the potential to be a disad...er, complication as well...or else to be built with a limitation on it: Effects beneficial magic too, i.e. when your mage friend tries to cast Barkskin on you, it likely fails, or works at half power as well.

Would you build this into the power as a limitation? Or separately as a complication?

Actually a simpler way to build it is an always-on Suppress (all special effect: magic (1 hex) - in 6E maybe you could use surface for this ... dunno, don't have 6E yet). This will reduce the effect of any spell and even a few dice can prove to be surprisingly useful, since it reduces the damage that gets through defences, even if it doesn't prevent damage, reduces entangles to the point where they are more easily broken, drops many powers below the point where they will function and kills smaller cumulative powers entirely.

cheers, Mark

Actually a simpler way to build it is an always-on Suppress (all special effect: magic (1 hex) - in 6E maybe you could use surface for this ... dunno, don't have 6E yet). This will reduce the effect of any spell and even a few dice can prove to be surprisingly useful, since it reduces the damage that gets through defences, even if it doesn't prevent damage, reduces entangles to the point where they are more easily broken, drops many powers below the point where they will function and kills smaller cumulative powers entirely.

cheers, Mark

Ding ding. This is my vote. Rep comin'... :thumbup:

Thanks all for the replies!

Shrike, your site is so easy to browse for hours. Thanks for linking to the various ways you've done it.

I tried building it up as a suppress (and noted in 6e it says that optionally a suppression field can suppress attacks originating outside the field, so I think that way genuinely works)...but it ends up with LOTS of modifiers, and pretty pricey:

50 Magic Resistance: Suppress 4d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Any magic (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (100 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

I also tried building it as Damage Negation, with a custom modifier to allow it to negate DCs of non-damaging attacks, e.g. Entangles & Flashes.

30 Magic Resistance: Damage Negation (-4 DCs Energy), Effects non-damage spells as well, e.g. Entangle, Flash (+1/2) (30 Active Points)

In the end, I like the second build better for its clean look, and because the cost is more in accord with its benefit for our campaign. Kudos to Ghost-Angel for suggesting building it as Dam Negation with a custom modifier!

Cheers,

Jeff

In my Demon Hunter FBI campaign from the Haymaker days I used Suppression for "Suppressors", psionics who don't believe in the supernatural and have subconsciously turned the power of their minds to cancelling / nulling it out which gave them effectively magic resistance, but more than that as it was actually making supernatural things weaker around them.

The mechanics worked well for that effect, but were a real pain in the arse in actual play -> massive adjustments in play at all times which made for a lot of bookkeeping and could slow the game down substantially in big scenes.

Suppress really is better when you want to make the attacker weaker and thus suffer less effect, and have others suffer less effect as well. It's not that great for mitigating effect for one person. You have to tack on modifiers to it if you just want mitigation, and either way Adjustment powers have a higher bookkeeping factor.

Damage Negation might work very well for Magic Resistance in 6e, but in my mind the Reduced Negation modifier reduces Damage Negation to only being really effective against mundane, environmental, and gear effects. In an environment with Damage Negation seeing respectable play, I predict that players and significant NPC's will inevitably end up with Reduced Negation attacks in their attack Multipowers, VPPs, or magic items to remain competitive. As soon as Reduced Penetration proliferates, DN will be rendered inefficient.

You might consider just implementing the "Arcane Defense" concept mentioned in Fantasy HERO (5e) and the Advanced Players Guide. If you don't want it to be constant, put an Activation Roll on it.

The mechanics worked well for that effect' date=' but were a real pain in the arse in actual play -> massive adjustments in play at all times which made for a lot of bookkeeping and could slow the game down substantially in big scenes. [/quote']

To avoid that, when we have used suppress, I have often suggested a slightly modified standard effect - 3d6 gets you 10 points. It's relatively simple to whack 10 point increments off things.

cheers, Mark

To avoid that, when we have used suppress, I have often suggested a slightly modified standard effect - 3d6 gets you 10 points. It's relatively simple to whack 10 point increments off things.

cheers, Mark

Yes, I often require adjustment powers to be standard effect...particularly Suppress and Succor and anything AoE.