Spaceship Design 101

Nyrath

Re: Spaceship Design 101

I don't understand all the maths on your site Nyrath, but I have learned that real spaceships will look nothing like anything found in Hollywood (unless the movie's taken pains to get the design right). We're not going to be building a Star Wars-style star destroyer any time soon, unfortunately.

While not exactly sticking to "possible near-future" my ship designs for my upcoming campaign are pulling heavily from your site.

"Up" is the front of the ship as "artificial gravity" is provided by the thrust of the ship (I'm assuming this would still hold true when the ship flips around and decelerates?)

Pretty much every surface is designed as a floor, chairs and controls are all on gimbals to help the pilot (and crew / passengers) maintain orientation and for safety in zero-g or during maneuvers (some entire command sections of combat ships are designed to rotate on one or more axis to assist in high-gee maneuvers.)

While most ships aren't entirely modular, they all follow a similar design. Human ships are basically large, flying tubes. The command section of warships are deep within the ship, not at the front, though this is not the case on most freighters, which have their control center either forward of the payload, or in a rotating ring behind the payload section. Freight ships are basically a long spine connected to engine, reactor, and fuel storage, designed to have cargo modules clamped to the spine.

Non-freight ships, combat ready or no, are just big tubes with engine and reactor at the back. Some are ovoid, some cylindrical, all have partitioned sections which can rotate around the central spine of the hull for "gravity" if the need arises, but again "up" is usually the front of the ship, and again multiple surfaces can be the floor. These partitions all rotate around the central spine of the ship, which is the main fairway for travel fore and aft. Docked at a station, the cylindrical sections can rotate, with the floor being the outermost surface. In transit, the floor is the surface facing away from the direction of thrust, which is generally a constant .5 to 1.2 Gee's and then higher gee burns when needed.

About 60% of the craft is engine, fuel storage, reactor, and heat sinks or the like. Power is provided by an antimatter reaction using artificially created heavy elements, highly efficient, but the main non-FTL drive is just a plasma torch, basically. Most of the fuel is created by the Matter-Antimatter reaction (heavy element is obliterated in MAM reaction, but not entirely, the remnants are recycled into He3 and a few other useful elements) but still a lot of space is needed for spare fuel and oxygen and the like.

Almost no ships are designed for both deep space / FTL flight, and planetary flight. Most rely on the LEO or Beanstalk relay stations, or on shuttlecraft. A very few long range survey ships can do this, as can a very few specialized military dropships. These military dropships are designed like aircraft, but when flying in space the main drive is on the "bottom" of the craft, giving complete VTOL capabilities when operating in an atmosphere.

Warships rely more on highly advanced materials and countermeasures than thick armor, but they do have thick armor, and again critical systems are generally protected by being as far inside the craft as possible. Reflective and refractive properties protect against lasers, electromagnetic countermeasures help to protect against plasma and particle weapons, and energy-absorbing ceramic gels and layered materials protect against kinetic weapons. Missiles are simply shot down or detonated by various countermeasure systems. Ship-to-ship combat is, however, practically unheard of, at least at the start of the campaign - most combat that occurs is boarding actions or planetary conflict, with opposing ships blockading or attempting to disrupt their enemy with electronic warfare or the threat of overwhelming force.

There are no luxury liners. There are no tramp freighters. Every ship is either owned and operated by the military of the various governments, the UTC, or one of a very few megacorps who contract out for colony supplies, terraforming, system surveys, mining, etc. Every ship has a remotely accessed "kill switch" in case it is used as a "kinetic kill" ship, and any permanent colony has military installations with high-powered particle weapons capable of vaporizing any craft that can't be stopped with the kill switch.

Alien ships follow somewhat similar designs with variations that suit their physiology and technology.

I don't understand all the maths on your site Nyrath' date=' but I have learned that real spaceships will look nothing like anything found in Hollywood (unless the movie's taken pains to get the design right). We're not going to be building a [i']Star Wars[/i]-style star destroyer any time soon, unfortunately.

If you have the tech, it's not a terrible design for a warship overall. For a ship that's intended to be on the attack, the wedge shape presents a shallow angle to incoming fire from the front, and allows all the weapons to fire forward.

If you have the tech' date=' it's not a terrible design for a warship overall. For a ship that's intended to be on the attack, the wedge shape presents a shallow angle to incoming fire from the front, and allows all the weapons to fire forward.[/quote']

Actually, other than the giant fracking conn tower at the back, yeah you're right.

Especially the SSD design - long, thin both from the front and side. Perfect for forward fire or broadsides.

Actually, other than the giant fracking conn tower at the back, yeah you're right.

Especially the SSD design - long, thin both from the front and side. Perfect for forward fire or broadsides.

I forgot to include your first comment in my post, but I had been thinking the same thing earlier in the day when I was considering the starship design.

The flying bridge at the back is a purely cinematic touch, I think.

I forgot to include your first comment in my post, but I had been thinking the same thing earlier in the day when I was considering the starship design.

The flying bridge at the back is a purely cinematic touch, I think.

Perhaps, or perhaps its a holdover from real world warship bridges.