Browncoat Mal Reynolds on Castle

mattingly

Re: Browncoat Mal Reynolds on Castle

We actually like Castle. It's a little more light hearted cop drama than NYPD Blue or Law and Order which can get a little heavy.

Boyfriend has been a fan of Fillion for a while (well, we both have been actually). He doesn't recall FireFly (well, actually we never saw FireFly, but we liked the movie Serendipity? Or whatever it was called), but that's not too unusual. He loses track of all the sci-fi stuff I watch.

I highly recommend Castle, and am very much looking forward to the Halloween episode.

I've quite enjoyed Castle. First season ran here just a couple of months ago. Has both humour and a serious side, but is less "heavy" than most cop shows these days.

Selection of fun characters as well. His mother is a hoot, and I find it refreshing that Castle's teenage daughter is likeable and fairly well-adjusted, instead of being the stereotypical obnoxious brat.

Castle is a damn fun show -- it's not going to go down in the history of television as one of the Truly Great TV Series, but it's hellafun light entertainment week after week.

The writers seem how to know to write for Fillion's style of delivery perfectly; Stana Katic is both clever and hot as the female cop foil for him; Susan Sullivan does a great job as his mother; the mysteries are oddball enough to be fun but not so weird that you go, "Oh, c'mon!". Two thumbs up!

Boyfriend has been a fan of Fillion for a while (well' date=' we both have been actually). He doesn't recall FireFly (well, actually we never saw FireFly, but we liked the movie Serendipity? Or whatever it was called), but that's not too unusual. He loses track of all the sci-fi stuff I watch.[/quote']

'SERENITY', which was the name of his ship (a "Firefly" class freighter).

I've been enjoying Castle a lot myself.

On a more sci-fi tangent related to this thread, Morena Baccarin, the actress who played Inara Serra on Firefly and the move Serenity is back with another series, a remake of V coming to ABC. She plays the leader of the Visitors, Anna. The reviews of the pilot by critics have been very favorable.

On a more sci-fi tangent related to this thread' date=' Morena Baccarin, the actress who played Inara Serra on Firefly and the move Serenity is back with another series, a remake of V coming to ABC. She plays the leader of the Visitors, Anna. The reviews of the pilot by critics have been very favorable.[/quote']

Could prove interesting. Morena definitely can do "Evil" - her stint in the 'Stargate SG-1' series (and 'Stargate: Ark Of Truth') proved that.

• 2 weeks later...

"First, there are no cowboys in space.

Second, didn't you already wear that five years ago?"

Gold.

Castle (caught in costume): "I'm...just...trying out my Halloween costume."

Daughter: "What are you supposed to be?"

Castle: "A space cowboy!"

Daughter: "First, there are no cows in space. Second...didn't you wear that, like, five years ago?"

Castle: "So?"

Daughter: "So don't you think it's time you moved on?"

Castle: "I LIKE it."

I watch Castle and I can only believe that the cast and crew have so much fun that they will never want to end that show. Nathan Fillion himself is incredibly funny. I had the opportunity to see one of the advanced screenings of Serenity and he made a special appearance, talked with the fans and fun was pretty much had by all.

Castle dressing up as Mal, I shamelessly admit, is what drew me in to watch this episode. (As an aside, I do not watch TV except on complete season DVDs and on extremely rare other occasions). I plan to grab the season 1 DVDs when I get the chance.

Don't know if I'll watch Castle regularly, because Monday nights are typically booked for me, but I actually like it a lot. Echoing some other comments on this thread, it is much less drama-heavy than other cop shows I've sampled. I find the characters likable yet real (i.e. each one has his/her limitations), and they play off of each other well.

Hopefully this doesn't count as a spoiler...but one other line I liked from this episode was when they find the murder victim and Castle quips, "Looks like Buffy's come to the Big Apple."