The Evolution of Space Food

Susano

tang-astronaut-ad.jpg

Throughout history, intrepid adventurers and successful armies of conquest have marched on their stomachs. The wagon trains and cattle drives that opened the American frontier would have stalled without Cookie and his chuck wagon. Camp cooks have always ruled their little kingdoms, be they isolated lumber camps, mine operations, or construction projects.

All of which NASA researchers took into consideration as they prepared to breach the frontiers of space.

Read it all here: http://www.neatorama.com/2009/08/31/the-evolution-of-space-food/

Re: The Evolution of Space Food

Sighs. The future we never had' date=' but could have if those [i'][rant rant rant][/i] hadn't cancelled the space program. Hell, Sir Arthur C Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey was practically a blue print for how it could be done.

It is really fun to watch 2001 specifically to pick out the things that didn't exist when it was made that have become common today. Flat screen TV's, notebook computers, WiFi.

The one I looked-at-without-seeing the longest, so far,

Juice boxes!

Re: The Evolution of Space Food

That brings back memories of the Tang commercial in the 70s. How did that jingle go again?

"If you wanna do like the astronauts do..."

Or something like that.

Actually, it's something like this--

TANG, TANG, Bang-Bang!

TANG, TANG, Bang-Bang!

Do The Moonwalk Like The Astronauts,

Join The Space Gang, Drink Your Energy TANG!

TANG Is For Breakfast, Lunch Or After School,

TANG Is Energizin' Like Rocket Fuel!

So If You Wanna Do Like The Astronauts Do,

Join The Space Gang And Do The Moonwalk Too!

Come On And TANG, TANG, Bang-Bang!

TANG, TANG, Bang-Bang!

Whoever wrote that certainly earned his paycheck that day. :D

And don't forget Space Food Sticks!

Delicious rods of chocolate flavored plastic.

My mom moved in 92. I found some Space Stick in a cupboard. They were exactly the same as I remember them. I think they can outlast a Twinkie.

I remember The Simpsons anniversary episode where they showed a deleted scene from when Homer's mom comes back after being a fugitive--she brings him all the old gift packages she sent him that Abe wouldn't accept delivery for. He opens one, and exclaims "Space Food Sticks! I haven't had these in years!" and starts shoving them into his mouth like he does everything else food-related.

MOM: "Homer--you don't have to eat those--"

HOMER: "But I can if I want to, right?"

Myself, I liked Space Food Sticks. Don't know if I'd eat one left over from the Seventies, though--:nonp: