Public Domain Super Heroes

Lucius

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes

I stumbled across this by accident, and immediately thought of sharing it here.

Public Domain Super Heroes is a collaborative website about comic book characters in the Public Domain. The wiki format allows anyone to create or edit any article, so we can all work together to create the site. Check out the FAQ to help you get started!

After Action Comics #1 gave the world Superman in 1938, there was an explosion of costumed heroes in comics. New publishers and characters sprang up everywhere. After World War II, these type of characters fell out of favor with readers. This caused many publishers to go out of business and many characters were lost. Those comics and their stars have since fallen into the public domain. This enables anyone to use those characters and those classic stories any way they wish. Over the years many publishers have taken advantage of this, including AC Comics (FemForce, Men of Mystery), Malibu (The Protectors), America's Best (Terra Obscura), and - most recently - Dynamite (Project Superpowers), and Image Comics (Next Issue Project) among others.

This is intended to be an online encyclopedia of these characters, providing pertinent information to fans who want to learn about their history, as well as creators who may want to use them. Unless otherwise noted, all images and information are believed to be in the Public Domain. The information and images presented are intended to give a brief overview of the characters and provide a visual reference.

Enjoy.

A few things I noticed:

There are a surprising number of public domain characters who have the same names or similar names as privately held characters - like Doc Strange and Daredevil.

Most of the listed characters seem to date from the forties. A few are from the thirties. A bare handful are from later, either from works that fell into public domain due to odd circumstance or that were originally created to be public domain characters.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suspects that Lucius is going to try writing some of them up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Public Domain Super Heroes

Uh, just because a publisher goes out of business does not mean that their intellectual property falls into the Public Domain.

I'd be very dubious as to whether any IP from post WWII is public domain yet.

TB

Well...the TRADEMARKS (if any) on these characters are probably long since defunct. Trademarks have to be used regularly and defended or they're lost.

But copyrights? There was a time when copyright was good for 26 years, and could be renewed for another 26 years--but if you failed to renew, the copyrighted work fell into the public domain. I don't remember when that changed, but I'd agree that most characters from the 40s or later are still under copyright.

The copyright owners may not know (or care) that they still own copyright to mostly worthless characters from decades ago. But if someone picked one up and started making money with it, that would probably chagne in a hurry.

Well, I wrote one up. I may or may not decide to do more.

Scarab

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15/30 STR 5 12- / 15- Lift 200.0kg/1600.0kg; 3d6/6d6 [1/2]

14/24 DEX 12 12- / 14- OCV: 5/8/DCV: 5/8

15/18 CON 10 12- / 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

10 COM 0 11-

11/20 PD 2 Total: 11/20 PD (6/12 rPD)

11/21 ED 2 Total: 11/21 ED (6/12 rED)

3/4 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12/3, 6, 9, 12

6/10 REC 0

30/36 END 0

26/36 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 49

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Flight: 11"/44"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

14 Scarab's Protection: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

1 Scarab's Protection: Mental Defense (5 points total) (2 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Limited Power Not against someone knowing his secret identity (-1/4)

3 Scarab's Protection: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Not against someone knowing his secret identity (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 Scarab's Protection: +10 PD (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only applies to STUN, and only if BOD damage not taken (-1), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

26 Scarab's Unseen Wings: Flight 11", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat (32 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 3

Scarab's Gifts (characteristics), all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12 1) +15 STR (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1

5 2) +3 CON (6 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 3) +3 ED (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

24 4) +10 DEX (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

10 Far Memory: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing) (45 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Previous Incarnations (-1/2) 4

Notes: In either secret or heroic identity, Scarab sometimes has glimpses of past incarnations, especially of being a priest of Ra. These can be full fledged "visions" of a past life, or sudden flashes of insight or special knowledge - "This way! The fourth duke built a secret tunnel in case of seige, it may still be there." "I thought you had never been in this castle before?" "Not in this life...."

Skills

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Archeology 12-

2 2) SS: Architecture 12-

2 3) SS: Egyptology 12-

2 4) SS: Linguistics 12-

3 Linguist

0 1) Native: Language: English (idiomatic; literate)

2 2) Language: Ancient Egyptian (completely fluent; literate)

1 3) Language: Arabic (fluent conversation; literate)

1 4) Language: Coptic (completely fluent; literate)

1 5) Language: German (completely fluent; literate)

3 Traveler

3 1) AK: Egypt 13-

2 2) AK: Egyptian Archeological sites 12-

2 3) CuK: Ancient Egypt 12-

2 4) CuK: Modern Egypt 12-

3 One cannot work in Egypt without handling horses, asses, and camels: Animal Handler (Camels, Equines) 12-

3 One cannot work in Egypt without handling horse's asses and camel's: Bureaucratics 12-

3 Baksheesh, they call it: Bribery 12-

3 Nothing is hidden from the Eye of Ra: Concealment 12-

3 Dead men do tell tales, even after thousands of years: Forensic Medicine 12-

3 I can read hieroglyphs, I should be able to decypher this: Cryptography 12-

1 I am not so easily fooled: Forgery (Other Antiquities) 13- (3 Active Points); Limited Power Only to identify fakes (-1)

3 The sun and stars always know where they are going. Follow them. : Navigation (Land, Marine) 12-

7 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals, Rafts, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats

3 May Bast be with me: Stealth 12- (14-)

3 Do not even go to a souk, unless resolved to be both careful and stubborn: Trading 12-

3 Have you seen a scarab at work?: Hoist 12-

2 The desert is harsh, but the Gods provide. : Survival (Desert) 12-

Talents

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

10 Turn Undead (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3 Bump Of Direction

3 Absolute Time Sense

5 Rapid Healing

10 Divine Favor

Perks

10 Contact: Bast (Contact has significant Contacts of her own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Spirit Contact (x2) (10 Active Points) 11-

6 Contact: Ra (Contact has significant Contacts of her own, Contact has useful Skills or resources), Spirit Contact (x2) (6 Active Points) 8-

Total Cost: 280

200+ Disadvantages

5 Dependent NPC: Akh-Tu-Men (A talking cat) 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

15 Hunted: Bast (and Ra and the rest of the pantheon) 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Psychological Limitation - Priestly purity: Must shave face, head, and body, wear clean linens, normally be moderate in food and drink, etc. (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Heroic - must combat evil and injustice, uphold virtue, etc. (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Priestly duties - greeting the Sun at dawn, offerings on holy days, etc (Common, Strong)

5 Social Limitation: Religious minority (Occasionally, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Total Disadvantage Points: 80

Background/History: From the Public Domain Superheroes Database: "Peter Ward is an Egyptologist who discovers he’s the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian priest of the sun god Ra. Given a mystic scarab ring by the cat goddess Bast, Ward touches the ring and becomes the Scarab. The ring grants him great powers, and Ward uses them to combat evil and injustice. He is accompanied on his many adventures by an intelligent cat named Akh-Tu-Men."

Appearance: First Appearance : Startling Comics #34 (Jul 1945) Publisher: Nedor

According to Public Domain Superheroes, the creator of this character is unknown and the character is in the public domain.

Character sheet by Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Working on The Amazing Man.

It's kind of frustrating when the available resources say things like

Weakness: Can be trapped in green mist form

And give no clue HOW!

But I suppose that gives me the chance to make up something that makes sense to me.

Lucius Alexander

Trapped in palindromedary form

Working on The Amazing Man.

It's kind of frustrating when the available resources say things like

Weakness: Can be trapped in green mist form

And give no clue HOW!

But I suppose that gives me the chance to make up something that makes sense to me.

There's a link at the site where you can download PDFs of the comics (also Public Domain) in which the characters appeared. If you can track down The Amazing Man's stories, then you may be able to find out!

On a separate note, upon seeing this I keep wanting to write out something like the Marvel/DC or JLA/Avengers crossovers, but using the Fox and Nedor heroes.

Well, I wrote one up. I may or may not decide to do more.

Scarab

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15/30 STR 5 12- / 15- Lift 200.0kg/1600.0kg; 3d6/6d6 [1/2]

14/24 DEX 12 12- / 14- OCV: 5/8/DCV: 5/8

15/18 CON 10 12- / 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

10 COM 0 11-

11/20 PD 2 Total: 11/20 PD (6/12 rPD)

11/21 ED 2 Total: 11/21 ED (6/12 rED)

3/4 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12/3, 6, 9, 12

6/10 REC 0

30/36 END 0

26/36 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 49

Movement:

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

14 Scarab's Protection: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

1 Scarab's Protection: Mental Defense (5 points total) (2 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Limited Power Not against someone knowing his secret identity (-1/4)

3 Scarab's Protection: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Not against someone knowing his secret identity (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 Scarab's Protection: +10 PD (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only applies to STUN, and only if BOD damage not taken (-1), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

26 Scarab's Unseen Wings: Flight 11", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat (32 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 3

Scarab's Gifts (characteristics), all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12 1) +15 STR (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1

5 2) +3 CON (6 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 3) +3 ED (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

24 4) +10 DEX (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

10 Far Memory: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing) (45 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Previous Incarnations (-1/2) 4

Notes: In either secret or heroic identity, Scarab sometimes has glimpses of past incarnations, especially of being a priest of Ra. These can be full fledged "visions" of a past life, or sudden flashes of insight or special knowledge - "This way! The fourth duke built a secret tunnel in case of seige, it may still be there." "I thought you had never been in this castle before?" "Not in this life...."

Skills

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Archeology 12-

2 2) SS: Architecture 12-

2 3) SS: Egyptology 12-

2 4) SS: Linguistics 12-

3 Linguist

0 1) Native: Language: English (idiomatic; literate)

2 2) Language: Ancient Egyptian (completely fluent; literate)

1 3) Language: Arabic (fluent conversation; literate)

1 4) Language: Coptic (completely fluent; literate)

1 5) Language: German (completely fluent; literate)

3 Traveler

3 1) AK: Egypt 13-

2 2) AK: Egyptian Archeological sites (3 Active Points) 12-

2 3) CuK: Ancient Egypt (3 Active Points) 12-

2 4) CuK: Modern Egypt (3 Active Points) 12-

3 One cannot work in Egypt without handling horses, asses, and camels: Animal Handler (Camels, Equines) 12-

3 One cannot work in Egypt without handling horse's asses and camel's: Bureaucratics 12-

3 Baksheesh, they call it: Bribery 12-

3 Nothing is hidden from the Eye of Ra: Concealment 12-

3 Dead men do tell tales, even after thousands of years: Forensic Medicine 12-

3 I can read hieroglyphs, I should be able to decypher this: Cryptography 12-

1 I am not so easily fooled: Forgery (Other Antiquities) 13- (3 Active Points); Limited Power Only to identify fakes (-1)

3 The sun and stars always know where they are going. Follow them. : Navigation (Land, Marine) 12-

7 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals, Rafts, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats

3 May Bast be with me: Stealth 12- (14-)

3 Do not even go to a souk, unless resolved to be both careful and stubborn: Trading 12-

3 Have you seen a scarab at work?: Hoist 12-

2 The desert is harsh, but the Gods provide. : Survival (Desert) 12-

Talents

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

10 Turn Undead (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3 Bump Of Direction

3 Absolute Time Sense

5 Rapid Healing

10 Divine Favor

Perks

10 Contact: Bast (Contact has significant Contacts of her own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Spirit Contact (x2) (10 Active Points) 11-

6 Contact: Ra (Contact has significant Contacts of her own, Contact has useful Skills or resources), Spirit Contact (x2) (6 Active Points) 8-

Total Cost: 280

200+ Disadvantages

5 Dependent NPC: Akh-Tu-Men (A talking cat) 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

15 Hunted: Bast (and Ra and the rest of the pantheon) 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Psychological Limitation - Priestly purity: Must shave face, head, and body, wear clean linens, normally be moderate in food and drink, etc. (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Heroic - must combat evil and injustice, uphold virtue, etc. (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Priestly duties - greeting the Sun at dawn, offerings on holy days, etc (Common, Strong)

5 Social Limitation: Religious minority (Occasionally, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Total Disadvantage Points: 80

Background/History: From the Public Domain Superheroes Database: "Peter Ward is an Egyptologist who discovers he’s the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian priest of the sun god Ra. Given a mystic scarab ring by the cat goddess Bast, Ward touches the ring and becomes the Scarab. The ring grants him great powers, and Ward uses them to combat evil and injustice. He is accompanied on his many adventures by an intelligent cat named Akh-Tu-Men."

Appearance: First Appearance : Startling Comics #34 (Jul 1945) Publisher: Nedor

According to Public Domain Superheroes, the creator of this character is unknown and the character is in the public domain.

Character sheet by Lucius Alexander

Lucius, feel free to sumbit this and anyone else you create to my website!

Lucius' date=' feel free to submit this and anyone else you create to my website![/quote']

Thanks. I forgot to post the file.

[ATTACH]32345[/ATTACH]

Anything in particular you'd like to see?

I'm working on Amazing Man

Lucius Alexander

And an Amazing Palindromedary

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes

A few things I noticed:

There are a surprising number of public domain characters who have the same names or similar names as privately held characters - like Doc Strange and Daredevil.

Not to mention the Green Dragon. I imagine the CU version would pitch a screaming temper tantrum if he ever found out about that one.

I also noticed how many of these heroes had careers so short you could count their appearances on the fingers of one hand. Must have been heck on the writers and artists--

:cool:: "I just got word--Captain Fist has been canceled. The boss wants a new hero--a speedster. Apparently his kid got a hold of some Flash comics and is eating them up."

:smoke:: "But I just finished drawing this month's story? I gotta throw out twenty pages of art because the boss changed his mind?"

:cool:: "No--no, we'll call him--Captain Fleet! Just tell Glennis in coloring to change the colors around on his costume, and maybe you could add little wings to his boots. I'll re-write the dialogue to explain it all. It'll be fine."

:smoke:: "It better--I'm already behind on this month's Morty Mouse And His Furry Friends."

:cool:: "Didn't you hear? That got canceled too. The boss wants a new comic about a talking moose and a flying squirrel."

:smoke:: "Is he NUTS?!? Who'd want to read about that?"

Speaking of noticing things--did anyone notice the trailer for the Scarab movie at the bottom of the home page? Not too bad for a low budget effort. I particularly like the scene where the minions were cheering on the master villain--you could tell the guns they were shaking in the air were Airsoft weapons. I would have preferred that the Black Terror had had a cape instead of a trenchcoat--he looked more like a Punisher knock-off, rather than the Superman-Batman knock off he's traditionally been. :D

Anyway, an excellent site. My thanks to you, Lucius, and the palindromedary.

Thanks. I forgot to post the file.

[ATTACH]32345[/ATTACH]

Anything in particular you'd like to see?

I'm working on Amazing Man

Lucius Alexander

And an Amazing Palindromedary

I don't know any PD Heroes well enough to ask.

If we're after write-ups' date=' I'd rather see villains like Green Dragon, the Claw, etc.[/quote']

After Amazing Man, I'll look into some villains.

Assuming I have any points left.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary drily observes that it looks like Amazing Man may require all the points there are.

Joe Linehan actually built the Claw. :) He was tough. It hurt a lot.

I looked at Claw, but got to the vehicle, and decided it was boring.

Lucius Alexander

Okay, I started the Claw but then the palindromedary ate it.

You asked for it, you got it.

Green Dragon (Golden Age)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

25 CON 30 14-

10 BODY 0 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

10 COM 0 11-

10/20 PD 2 Total: 10/20 PD (5/15 rPD)

10/20 ED 0 Total: 10/20 ED (5/15 rED)

5 SPD 22 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 4

50 END 0

30 STUN -1 Total Characteristic Cost: 118

Movement:

Running: 7"/14"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 3"/6"

Cost Powers END

No Longer Human

15 1) Armor (5 PD/5 ED)

46 2) Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: 1600 Years; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)

5 3) Rapid Healing

6 4) Mental Defense (15 points total)

10 Luck 5d6 (25 Active Points); Limited Power Only when already defeated and trying to escape (-1 1/2)

Sorcery

96 1) Animal Forms: Multiform (400 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change, x128 Number Of Forms) (120 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4)

Notes: Assume he can take the form of any animal within the point limits. On other planets, maybe he can take the form of local wildlife there, too.

21 2) All the tongues of man: Universal Translator 14-

15 3) Or beast: Beast Speech

17 4) Create Minions: Major Transform 2d6 (Living things to living things), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Improved Results Group (+1/2), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (82 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target (Living Things) (-1/4) 8

37 5) Spells of Assault: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (37 Active Points) 4

71 6) Modify Spell: Variable Advantage (+2 1/2 Advantages; +5) for up to 25 Active Points of Spells of Assault (125 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests (any other magician can roll their skill to cast a counterspell); -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) 12

40 7) Spells of motion: Flight 11", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Usable As Swimming (+1/4) (40 Active Points) 4

4 8) Cross the Abyss of Space: MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) for up to 32 Active Points of Flight (8 Active Points); Conditional Power Only outside atmosphere (-1) 1

40 9) Apotropaic Spells: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/5 Mental Defense/5 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items) 4

Perks

0 Master Villain. He's got a base on Mars, a base on Jupiter, minions out the ying yang, etc : Details as per your scenario

Talents

20 Animal Friendship

Skills

5 Magic: Power 14-

3 Interrogation 12-

5 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine, Space) 13-

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Atlantis (2 Active Points) 11-

2 2) AK: Jupiter (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) AK: Mars (3 Active Points) 13-

2 4) AK: The Far East (3 Active Points) 13-

2 5) AK: The Solar System (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Artifacts of power (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: Legendary Treasures (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) KS: Nature Lore (3 Active Points) 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 477

Total Cost: 595

500+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Sharp fangs and pointed ears (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Reputation: Shape shifting sorcerer, 8-

5 Psychological Limitation: Doesn't want to hurt old men (Uncommon, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Prefers to hurt young women (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Always looking for more power - wealth, minions, artifacts, knowledge..... (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Coward - will flee when the battle turns against him (Common, Moderate)

15 Unluck: 3d6

10 Hunted: Those pesky interfering heroes! 11- (As Pow, Limited Geographical Area (From Green Dragon's point of view....he can always go to another planet), Capture)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Other magicicians), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry

10 Accidental Change to random form: If hit with transformative magic, or a large Dispel ("large" must be defined as per campaign, if magical Dispels are rare perhaps any Dispel counts as "large") 11- (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points: 95

Background/History: Born on Earth (probably in the East) centuries ago, Green Dragon has long since ceased to be fully Human. After some unknown time spent exploring the solar system and establishing bases of some sort on other planets, he has recently returned to plague the world of his birth. It is suspected that his intention is to acquire ancient artifacts that would enhance his powers, or perhaps having dwelt elsewhere he simply decided he likes Earth well enough that he wants to conquer it, or part of it.

Quote: My dear Garol, I have no intention of torturing you! I never hurt old men! Bring in the princess!

Appearance: Green Dragon's one and only published appearance was in Dime Comics number 1, in 1945.

In "human" form he appears to be a middle aged bald Asian man whose face is marred by inhumanly pointed ears and noticeable fangs.This could be an effect of having spent so much time in the form of predatory animals, or the mark of some dark bargain he struck to gain his first foothold of occult power.

Fish Man

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

8 CON -4 11-

8 BODY -4 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

10 COM 0 11-

6 PD 0 Total: 6 PD (3 rPD)

6 ED 1 Total: 6 ED (3 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5 REC 0

16 END 0

20 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 24

Movement:

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 7"/14"

Cost Powers END

0 Aquatic: Life Support, breathes water but not air

9 Scales: Armor (3 PD/3 ED)

60 Fish Forms: Multiform (200 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change, x64 Number Of Forms) (75 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4)

Notes: Assume it can take the form of any aquatic animal within the point limits.

11 Spears/Tridents: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (3d6 - 1 w/STR) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) 2

10 Nets: Entangle 3d6, 4 DEF (35 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) [1 rc]

Talents

10 Beast Speech (15 Active Points); Conditional Power Aquatic Only (-1/2)

2 Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only to remember and follow orders (-1)

Skills

3 Concealment 11-

3 Stealth 12-

2 Survival (Marine Underwater) 11-

3 Teamwork 12-

3 Shadowing 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 116

Total Cost: 140

75+ Disadvantages

15 Accidental Change - back into whatever species of fish it was before being Transformed: Negative BOD 14- (Uncommon)

10 Distinctive Features: Fish Man (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Psychological Limitation: Loyal to Green Dragon (Very Common, Total)

15 Hunted: Enemies of Green Dragon 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

Total Disadvantage Points: 65

Background/History: Created from magically transformed fish, the Fish Man is an example of the kind of minion Green Dragon can create. He had a small army of such creatures when he attacked Atlantis.

Personality/Motivation: None to speak of. Their Master created them, they obey him, and that is all they know.

Quote: Glub!

Campaign Use: Expendable cannon fodder.

Appearance: Their one and only published appearance was in Dime Comics number 1, in 1945.

The Fish Men were created by Green Dragon, and according to the Public Domain Super Heroes website Green Dragon was created by Fran Hopper and published by Lev Gleason, and is in Public Domain.

These character sheets created by Lucius Alexander

[ATTACH]32360[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32361[/ATTACH]

I looked at Claw, but got to the vehicle, and decided it was boring.

So, you weren't digging it, then. ;)

I thought the Claw was rather nifty, myself. Monstrous appearance, razor-sharp claws (back before they were a good-guy accessory) and he could grow to gigantic size. It's like a Dick Tracy villain on steroids and acid. And maybe crystal meth. What's not to like?

Well, there are those who might have an issue with him being a racist stereotype (and the Green Dragon isn't?)--but the way I read the origin, he was some sort of human-demon hybrid, which can explain both his appearance and his powers. I don't see him as being meant as a "typical" Asian, or even a stereotypical one.

That's what I was thinking, anyway.

I looked at Claw' date=' but got to the vehicle, and decided it was boring.[/quote']

So, you weren't digging it, then. ;)

Not a hole lot.

I thought the Claw was rather nifty, myself. Monstrous appearance, razor-sharp claws (back before they were a good-guy accessory) and he could grow to gigantic size. It's like a Dick Tracy villain on steroids and acid. And maybe crystal meth. What's not to like?

Well, there are those who might have an issue with him being a racist stereotype (and the Green Dragon isn't?)--but the way I read the origin, he was some sort of human-demon hybrid, which can explain both his appearance and his powers. I don't see him as being meant as a "typical" Asian, or even a stereotypical one.

That's what I was thinking, anyway.

I'm sure one could run into racist stereotypes in this period.

Not always negative ones. Tibet in particular seems to have been viewed as the Font of Wisdom.

I have been working on Amazing Man, and will probably post him later

Lucius Alexander

Assuming the palindromedary doesn't eat my work.