6th Edition is nearly 200 more pages...why?

Zephrosyne

I know that those of you that just got the 6th Edition pdf haven't really had the opportunity to really dig in but I am hoping that you have gotten far enough to give me a little insight. I see that the two books combined are about 200 pages longer than 5th Edition Revised. I am just curious. Is there a lot more content or is there a lot more art work? Thanks.

Re: 6th Edition is nearly 200 more pages...why?

I know that those of you that just got the 6th Edition pdf haven't really had the opportunity to really dig in but I am hoping that you have gotten far enough to give me a little insight. I see that the two books combined are about 200 pages longer than 5th Edition Revised. I am just curious. Is there a lot more content or is there a lot more art work? Thanks.

Part of that will be the more open layout and increased art we have seen from the sample pages

There's also a lot of examples, a lot of toolkitting notes, a genre-by-genre breakdown, sample characters, and so on. Also, full-page art to open each chapter. The books also look to cover most anything you'd need.

The books also look to cover most anything you'd need.

[sNARK] Except all those things going into APG1' date=' 2, 3… [/sNARK']

Well, the stuff going into the APG isn't stuff you need to play Hero. It is pretty much a compendium of optional rules. :)

There are a lot more examples in 6E.

Some descriptions went up, some down (Damage Adding text is about half what it used to be).

More and better art.

The Character Creation Handbook - which is Chapter One of 5ER + Stuff From Other Books (mostly Ultimate Series) is a full 60 Pages longer than the equivalent section in 5ER. So obviously more options, more ideas, and more things have been crammed into Character Creation over the past 7 years, and all that plus more was incorporated into 6E.

And having a whole full book dedicated to Campaigns and Combat allows for more ideas, examples, and thoughts to be added to those sections. Like a longer discussion on using Complications, the Environment has more space (there's a table for Wind in it now which is cool), Living In A Dangerous World went from two pages to eleven pages.

There's more, while I doubt time will work in my favor I hope to do a comprehensive review and comparison in the next month.

From what I have seen from the sample pages. 6E is set in a larger font size (thank goodness!) this also inflates pagesize. 5er was set pretty small and on a paper that was kind of dark, which in a room that was dimly lit made it harder to read than previous volumes that were printed on a brighter paper.

Tasha