One Last 6E Preview: The Covers!

Steve Long

Re: One Last 6E Preview: The Covers!

I have no issues with the colors or lack of art. When the announcement was made about 5e not having art on the cover I was against the idea, but it worked out fine.

I do have a complaint though: I think the two books are two similar to each other. They should have something more to distinguish them than just the 1 and 2 and the title along the side. Maybe have Hexman on the CC and two hexmen (fighting?) on the C&A. Or have a smaller Hexman, surrounded by 6 empty hexes on the C&A - thus giving the idea that book 1 is about the characters themselves, and book 2 is about the characters interacting with the wider world.

Or some other equally iconic symbol for the second book.

Or simply making the colors slightly different on the two books, like blue and yellow on one, and blue and white on the other. Or a darker shade of blue on one.

Hmm. I'm not fond of 6E1 and 6E2. What are one and two? What about 6ECC and 6EC&A? Heh.

I agree. Descriptive is better.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad; but I would have preferred a couple of George Perez covers on them instead. ;)

I would have preferred real art here too. If you want to get people to buy a game, there has to be real art on the cover. Wizards has proved this for years. "That looks COOL"

Hey, what game is that? I don't know, but it looks "Blue."

You guys know I'll buy 15-20 sets of these anyway. But it doesn't change the fact that great cover art makes things go farther.

I would have preferred real art here too. If you want to get people to buy a game, there has to be real art on the cover. Wizards has proved this for years. "That looks COOL"

You guys know I'll buy 15-20 sets of these anyway. But it doesn't change the fact that great cover art makes things go farther.

Well, the 5e core rule book didn't have art on the cover, and they had a hard time printing enough of them to keep them in stock. So I really doubt it'll have much if any effect.

While I appreciate everybody offering their opinions, I should point out these *are* the covers. The books are already being printed. And after eight years of success, we're not interested in changing the brand identity represented by the graphic hexman cover. Trust me, those of you looking for fancypants cover art will be extremely satisfied with the actual genre books. But the rules books will remain graphic. dw

An unimportant opinion as, you know, to late to change anything and even if it wasn't what do I know?

First not wild about the colors, maybe if it had been a darker blue (This light blue just does not do anything for me)...

My issue is with Hexman himself...

With 6th edition (as I understand it) getting rid of hexes, is it still appropriate to have him in a hex? Just thinking...

You call the splotch on the 3rd Ed. DnD books art????

You're kidding right?

Really, the only sucky thing about all this...waiting for the book. :thumbup: Hero as a game stands out. FRED scared people and stops bullets. SED? glows in a crowd of other game books. You know when someone is a Hero player. I could zero in on these books on a Open RPG floor in 10 seconds or less. HERO GAMES...Obnoxious and Proud of it.

Really' date=' the only sucky thing about all this...waiting for the book. :thumbup: Hero as a game stands out. FRED scared people and stops bullets. SED? glows in a crowd of other game books. You know when someone is a Hero player. I could zero in on these books on a Open RPG floor in 10 seconds or less. HERO GAMES...Obnoxious and Proud of it.[/quote']

Good point! It certainly stands out from the crowd.

And the whole cover issue doesn't matter to me anyway, because I put book covers over all my hardback RPG books. I did it for my old 1e deendee books, and I did it for FREd and I'll put covers on Sixie from Dixie. (And no, I haven't even bought any other RPG books besides HERO for at least 20 years.)

*(edit: Whoops! That's not quite true. For a brief while, WotC was selling the boxed set of Everway for a mere $5, which I just couldn't pass up, but they aren't hardback books. And someone was giving away free copies of Fantasy Imperium, but that was free, and I'll never turn down free gaming stuff.)

SED? glows in a crowd of other game books. You know when someone is a Hero player. I could zero in on these books on a Open RPG floor in 10 seconds or less.
That gives me an idea... if DOJ ever wants to do a "special edition" of 6E, you could put them into a combined volume with a glow-in-the-dark cover.

Just a thought. :D

That gives me an idea... if DOJ ever wants to do a "special edition" of 6E, you could put them into a combined volume with a glow-in-the-dark cover.

Too many bad flashbacks.

My grandmother used to come in and hang a glow in the dark rosary from the head of my bed when I was a child. I would wake up and see it there... glowing at me. Its creepy then. Its creepy now. Then there was a girl from my 3rd grade class who told the world we were dating (I had no interest in hanging with chicks until I was already applying for colleges) and pursued me around the roller rink on the wednesday after school shindig with a glow-stick, cornering me and trying to kiss me with that weirdly illuminated green kissy face. Needless to say, I ditched roller-skating for gaming. No. I do not want a "glowy" 6E. Or a glowy anything else, for that matter.

SED? glows in a crowd of other game books. You know when someone is a Hero player. I could zero in on these books on a Open RPG floor in 10 seconds or less.

Hmm... I wonder how long it will be before someone mods the hardcover with some LEDs to really make it glow?

Time to start searching Make and Instructables for project ideas.

Reminds me. Will 6ECC and 6EC&A stop bullets too? I could use 5E and 5ER for front and back protection, and I wouldn't want to lose that feature.

But seriously, I hope the 6E books are bound with the same quality. They're the only (main) gaming books I have that aren't falling apart I think (and I treat all my gaming books with care, though I'm not fanatic about it).

Reminds me. Will 6ECC and 6EC&A stop bullets too? I could use 5E and 5ER for front and back protection, and I wouldn't want to lose that feature.

But seriously, I hope the 6E books are bound with the same quality. They're the only (main) gaming books I have that aren't falling apart I think (and I treat all my gaming books with care, though I'm not fanatic about it).

They might not stop bullets but no one is going to be aiming through the glare :)