Bigger Inside Than Out

VorpalAuroch

I had to idea for a 'base' toted around in the back of a tractor-trailer. I realized that this would be, while cool, a very small base, so I thought it would be cool to make it bigger inside than outside. One way is using an Extradimensional Gate to a Base defined as being in another dimension, but it has odd ramifications if dispelled. Another way which is possibly more elegant but also more rules-questionable is to buy the vehicle characteristic Size, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Inside Only (-?). If you were the GM, would you allow this? How much of a limitation would you rate Inside Only?

Re: Bigger Inside Than Out

I would allow something like this and would not give it a Limitation. There are obviously some benefits to being able to pull a large base full of people and equipment into a parking space. I'm not sure what the Limitation would be. Could you explain how it limits the base to be larger inside than out?

Another method would be to just put Shrinking on the base itself.

from an older thread about bags of holding:

Why not use the vehicle rules?

Bag of Holding

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

0 DEX -30 9- OCV: 0/DCV: 0

10 BODY 0 11-

0 SPD -10 Phases: (none)

Total Characteristic Cost: -44

Movement:

Cost Powers END

120 It's Just a Bag!: Shrinking (0.0314 m tall, 0.0004 kg mass, -12 PER Rolls to perceive character, +12 DCV, takes +18" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (120 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 120

Total Cost: 76

The idea of a mobile base is intriguing. But I'd forget the dimension warp stuff. Just stick with existing military designs.

A standard conex is 40 by 10 by 10 feet, so with six foot hexes it's 1.5 hex wide by 6.5 hex long. You could give it growth with no figured charateristics, call it accordion pleat side panels with outriggers - (The command trailer from VanDammes Universal Soldier film is an example). So it's still 6.5 hex long but now 3 hex wide.

How about a modified double decker bus? Same 6.5 by 1.5 but now 2 levels high You can't fit a swimming pool, but you could put a heck of a lot else inside it. For a Punisher type loner it would be ideal.

I did something similar for a Harry Potter campaign to introduce players to the Hero system. I was building 'Wizard Tents' that are a house inside a normal sized two person tent. I just built the base and then paid for it to be 'in another dimension', then built a Dimensional travel power to one single place in one dimension (just inside the door of the house in the tent), and with Obvious Accessible Focus that needs arrangement. (A tent that needs to be put up.) I also added a 'Limited: the tent must be left up while someone is inside', to stop players from taking turns walking while the rest of the party just sat in the tent in comfort, and to let enemies waltz in whenever they want.

ISTR a campaign where my character had a coffin-sized Tardis-like vehicle that was the size of a 747 on the inside. I bought the outside to be 747-sized, and then enough shrinking to make it coffin-sized (~ 2m x 1m x 0.5m). It opened like a clamshell for ingress/egress, and could travel throughout spacetime.

It looked sorta like this (but without the extendable nacelles):

SARPEV_MK_II.gif

In the same campaign there was a character who carried a secret base in his backpack. You entered it by climbing down a ladder inside the opened bag. I think it was several acres large.

Yes, I still get headaches when I think about that campaign.

ISTR a campaign where my character had a coffin-sized Tardis-like vehicle that was the size of a 747 on the inside. I bought the outside to be 747-sized, and then enough shrinking to make it coffin-sized (~ 2m x 1m x 0.5m). It opened like a clamshell for ingress/egress, and could travel throughout spacetime.

It looked sorta like this:

photon.jpg

In the same campaign there was a character who carried a secret base in his backpack. You entered it by climbing down a ladder inside the opened bag. I think it was several acres large.

Yes, I still get headaches when I think about that campaign.

Staff, is there a link to the coffin-sized TARDIS-style vehicle? I get a logo, but no link.

how about this? Bigger On The Inside:+X size. IPE (Fully Invisible From The Outside' date=' +1), for a TARDIS-type effect.[/quote']That's the suggested method in TUV, though some of the other ideas in this thread I consider equally good.

An arguably more complicated way would be to make a permanent EDM Gate out of the front door (as well as any others).

Staff' date=' is there a link to the coffin-sized TARDIS-style vehicle? I get a logo, but no link.[/quote']

Apparently the link I provided is no longer in service. I will attempt to fix the problem by providing a link to a different picture.

ETA:

Fixed!

And here's another side view:

SOAnim.gif

The Actual vehicle in question was hinged at the back, with the whole external hull swinging open. Within the bottom half of the open hull was a stairway leading to the rest of the interior.