Military Eye for the Civilian Gal

SimComm

Re: Military Eye for the Civilian Gal

While I have not seen the GI Joe stuff, I am willing to bet it is NOT an accurate depiction of anything; it isn't really designed to be.

Go see them if you wish; I hear they are fun. But if you model any NPCs on what you see there, realize they are nowhere near a realistic depiction of real military men and women.

There are very few movies or TV shows available with anything approaching a realistic depiction of war or military personnel.

Interestingly, the old (1960's) TV show "Combat" which depicted fighting in France in WWII is probably the most realistic available. (And it is no more realistic than most good "cop" shows are, but it is head and shoulders above most other TV/movie fare available.)

Better depictions are available in books. If you want fiction, I suggest Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October" (Navy), "Rainbow Six" (Anti-terrorist special ops), "Red Storm Rising" (all services); Larry Bond's "Red Phoenix" or "Vortex"; Harold Coyle's "God's Children", "Team Yankee" or "Sword Point"; Stephen Coonts' "Flight of the Intruder"; or John Hackett's "Third World War". These are fiction, but the military characters are believable.

Actually, I have seen Red October, it is one of my favorite movies. I still find myself almost crying when the second-in-command dies when they are almost finished with the mission (which really was not a mission... it was a little confusing, but I liked it anyway!).

-SC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

greenbriar:

So what you are saying is that young officers who do not have experience are often rivals of sgt who have experience?

-SC

Smart young officers learn to rely greatly on Sergeants. However, there are always a few who get a little cocky with their rank, and think that there's nothign any mere 'enlisted' soldier can tell them. These yougn officers often come to regret that. Sadly, a few manage to get ahead and move up, but usually this attitude isn't encouraged (and is, in fact, discouraged) by superiors who note it. Thsi is not as much an issue when you have an officer who started out as enlisted, then went to OCS and became a commissioned officer as opposed to those directly commissioned as officers.

There's a saying I encountered in the army.

"What's the difference between a Second Lieutenant (O1) and a Private First Class (E3) ?

The PFC has at least earned two promotions."

Ivhad a friend who joined the army went to OCS and ended up a Captain of an Airborne unit. When he first got assigned he had a meeting and told his noncoms. "I will listen to all advice, and take everything into consideration. All I ask is that I have the final say. He got alongvery well with his unit.

greenbriar:

So what you are saying is that young officers who do not have experience are often rivals of sgt who have experience?

-SC

_maul24.jpg

"Straighten those shoulders! How long have you been in the army?"

There was another (not at that site) that showed (presumably) the same Lieutenant looking as scruffy as the soldier in the above picture. One of the enlisted men asks him "What happended to them sweeping changes you were gonna implement sir?"

Actually, I have seen Red October, it is one of my favorite movies. I still find myself almost crying when the second-in-command dies when they are almost finished with the mission (which really was not a mission... it was a little confusing, but I liked it anyway!).

-SC

Well, I was referring to the book; the movie is OK but there are some significant differences. Also, you learn much more about the crew of the US sub in the book.

But actually, as a movie it isn't bad, if you don't compare it to the book.

The book is much better though.

If you want another movie that might help you, you could try "Up Periscope."

Some Military Jokes

Being in Military Intelligence (yes, I am well aware that is an oxymoron, gee, never heard that before) I served with all branches. I can attest to the friendly rivalries and when it really comes down to it, we were all brothers (and sisters) in arms.

What's the difference between an E1 (bottom of the enlisted pile) and an O1 (bottom of the officer pile)?

Four years. The suggestion is the only real difference is the O1 has a college degree and one that, likely, has no baring what so ever.

An old colonel was teaching a group of lieutenants how to command. He gave them the simple task of raising the flag. After 15 minutes of them arguing over who should be in charge and the best way to raise the flag, the colonel stopped them. The colonel turned to the sergeant standing next to him and said, "Sergeant, have your men raise the flag." and it was done.

Marine stands for Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Non-Essential

Grunts - Army

Jar Heads - Marines

Squids - Navy

Zoomies - Air Force

An old colonel was teaching a group of lieutenants how to command. He gave them the simple task of raising the flag. After 15 minutes of them arguing over who should be in charge and the best way to raise the flag' date=' the colonel stopped them. The colonel turned to the sergeant standing next to him and said, "Sergeant, have your men raise the flag." and it was done.[/quote']

It's good to be the Sergeant! :sneaky:

Marine stands for Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Non-Essential

Grunts - Army

Jar Heads - Marines

Squids - Navy

Zoomies - Air Force

I honestly had never heard "Zoomies" in this context before (and the definition of Marine is priceless). I'd rep you but I must spread it first.

Re: Some Military Jokes

An old colonel was teaching a group of lieutenants how to command. He gave them the simple task of raising the flag. After 15 minutes of them arguing over who should be in charge and the best way to raise the flag' date=' the colonel stopped them. The colonel turned to the sergeant standing next to him and said, "Sergeant, have your men raise the flag." and it was done. [/quote']

You forgot to include: "There was a master sergeant and a dozen men there."

I believe the original of that was a Navy Captain with an Ensign; givimg the Ensign a CPO and detail of sailors. The correct command was: Chief, raise that flagpole.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!

I will be trying an adventure today that will include the Sgt and his group, with a new (!) military style character being introduced as well.

Here is hoping that in the end, the Sgt's group and Harry's group will find some new understanding for one another!

Thank you again,

-SC

Thank you all for the replies!

The Sgt and the ENTIRE Justice Battalion were deployed yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. Kate (the Sgt's daughter) was kidnapped, and the PCs found where she was being held (a magic castle of all things...), but they needed a very big distraction as there were hundreds of demons and evil spy-agents. So, the Sgt called up his commander, Major Victory, and within an hour, had dozens of super-heroes assaulting the castle. It was a pretty amazing thing. The Sgt even helped save the day by secretly getting Kate out of the castle (even though he was upset he couldn't stay for the final confrontation). At the end of everything, Harry decided not to date Kate, the Sgt decided Harry wasn't an "entire" waste of flesh, and the two now have a grudging friendship-rivalry. (Although Kate is a bit sad that Harry isn't going out with her anymore...)

Thank you again!

-SC

One point that we haven't touched on here: in the real world (or "our timeline" if you prefer) the US Army and Air Force are prohibited by law (posse comitatus act" from do law enforcement (in general) within the US, unless martial law has been declared.

Of course, it's your world, so you can just ignore it.

Or you can say he law was changed for dealing with super powered individuals.

Just thought that I should mention it.

One point that we haven't touched on here: in the real world (or "our timeline" if you prefer) the US Army and Air Force are prohibited by law (posse comitatus act" from do law enforcement (in general) within the US, unless martial law has been declared.

Of course, it's your world, so you can just ignore it.

Or you can say he law was changed for dealing with super powered individuals.

Just thought that I should mention it.

Of course, just as the Border Patrol is a uniformed service with certain law enforcement powers and restricted jurisdiction, so might the Justice Brigade be a service to which military members may be assigned (when necessary) for the specific purpose of opposing super-powered threats. They might have jurisdiction wherever supervillains (however they are defined) are involved, and have very little power otherwise, apart from "Civilian Arrest" (however it is implemented in the locality in question).

Of course' date=' just as the Border Patrol is a uniformed service with certain law enforcement powers and restricted jurisdiction, so might the Justice Brigade be a service to which military members may be assigned (when necessary) for the specific purpose of opposing super-powered threats. They might have jurisdiction wherever supervillains (however they are defined) are involved, and have very little power otherwise, apart from "Civilian Arrest" (however it is implemented in the locality in question).
The Border Patrol is not a "Uniformed Service" as that definition applies to things of a military nature.

There are only seven Uniformed Services under the Federal Government:

US Army, US Navy, US Marine Corps, US Air Force, US Coast Guard, US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Commissioned Corps.

That isn't to say that the Border Patrol shouldn't be a uniformed service, as by any reading of it it is a national defense issue more than law enforcement. But currently Border Patrol falls under DHS.

TB

The Border Patrol is not a "Uniformed Service" as that definition applies to things of a military nature.

There are only seven Uniformed Services under the Federal Government:

US Army, US Navy, US Marine Corps, US Air Force, US Coast Guard, US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Commissioned Corps.

That isn't to say that the Border Patrol shouldn't be a uniformed service, as by any reading of it it is a national defense issue more than law enforcement. But currently Border Patrol falls under DHS.

TB

Not to be a devil's advocate, but so does the Coast Guard.

Not to be a devil's advocate' date=' but so does the Coast Guard.[/quote']

And not that long ago, they were under Department of Transportation. And for most of the Coast Guard's history, they were part of the Department of Revenue.

None of which necessarily has much bearing on the Justice Battalion, other than to make the point that there are a lot of possibilities. It could be under Homeland Security if the game world has such. It could be attached to the Secret Service or to the US Marshals. If superpowered beings have been an important part of the world's history for long enough, there could even be a Cabinet level position of Secretary of Superhuman Affairs for them to report to.

Lucius Alexander

The Ministry of Palindromedaries

Which brings to mind one of Dale Brown's earlier novels - 'Hammerheads'.

In response to the increasingly aggressive drug cartels to the south, the US Border Patrol and chunks of various other US departments (including a substantial part of the Coast Guard) are merged into a brand-new (and, in typical Dale Brown style, VERY well-armed) agency entrusted with the protection of the USA's borders. Nicknamed 'The Hammerheads' after (if I remember correctly) a particularly famous / effective Coast Guard unit active during Prohibition.

Which may be another possibility for the Justice Battalion. Being under the auspices of one particular department / agency arguably represents a lot of power, enough to probably make rival departments / agencies uneasy. Just look at the squabbles that occir between branches of the military (or amongst the various law-enforcement agencies), over matters of jurisdiction, demarcation and budget. With this in mind, it is possible that the Justice Brigade is a kind of Joint Task Force thingie, with various departments making contributions to its operation (and sharing the credit / blame - theoretically!).

When I was still in the USAF, we were shown an official film that claimed the Border Patrol was the only Non-Military uniformed service. Of course, since things have been reorganized post-911, they may no longer be considered a uniformed service. My initial statement was made in good faith, despite the fact I don't seem to be finding any information to back my claim. The point is, there might be a non-military federal agency under whose auspices both civilian and military personell would be authorized to act in a law-enforcement capacity.

Perhaps the Coast Guard might have been a better example?