Piercing

director13

I'm considering allowing CSLs to be used to buy levels of Piercing, the way they currently can be used to boost OCV or Damage.

Heroic level campaign, attacks usually in the 4 - 8 DC range, defenses in the 4 - 10 rPD range.

Right now, I'm thinking 1:1 to start.

Thoughts about how unbalancing this might be in what's basically a Dark Champions game?

Re: Piercing

Hmmm... Some observations

1) Extra Damage Classes with martial arts cost 4 points each.

2) Normally in order to add damage to an attack with CSL it requires two (at least 5-point CSLs) to do so.

3) In either case these add a single damage class. 1d6 for a normal attack and about 1 pip for a killing attack.

Based on that I would be tempted to allow CSL to add 1-point of piercing to a non-resistant piercing attack, but I might require 2 CSL to all 1-point of resistant piercing.

Good idea!

1 or 2 CSLs is about right because 1-point of Piercing is effectively 1 DC or 1 BODY like 2 CSLs but since it only negates defences and doesn't do extra damage it is a bit less useful than the 1 extra damage.

But since it is too hard to call, I like Edsel's idea of 1 CSL for non-resistant Piercing and 2 CSLs for resistant Piercing.

Regardless of whether it is 1 or 2 CSLs worth to get 1 level of Piercing, it's a great idea!

I'm considering allowing CSLs to be used to buy levels of Piercing, the way they currently can be used to boost OCV or Damage.

Heroic level campaign, attacks usually in the 4 - 8 DC range, defenses in the 4 - 10 rPD range.

Right now, I'm thinking 1:1 to start.

Thoughts about how unbalancing this might be in what's basically a Dark Champions game?

It shouldn't be unbalancing at all - in most cases, you'd be better off simply using them to add damage.

cheers, Mark

1) Extra Damage Classes with martial arts cost 4 points each.

That may get changed in 6e. +5 STR, 0 END, Only to Do Damage With a Favored Group of Attacks: 5*1.5/1.5 = 5.

2) Normally in order to add damage to an attack with CSL it requires two (at least 5-point CSLs) to do so.

Is the 5-point requirement a 5er rule? In 5e, it all but 2-point levels (I'm pretty sure).

Not that the 5-point rule is bad; it is rather cheap with 3-point levels. +5 STR, 0 END, Only to Do Damage: 5*1.5/1.25 = 6. Two 3-point levels also cost 6 points, but can add to OCV as well as to damage.

- Klaus

5er page 54.

"Three-point CSLs can apply to OCV, DCV, or damage

as outlined above; except for the fact that they can

increase DCV and damage, they generally function

like 2-point CSLs."

So yes to the "minimum of 3 point CSL to improve damage".

Points into Piercing might alsod help out with those low base damage weapons that are already maxed out at 2X DC because of STR. It's either that or houserule a hit location for "unarmored bit", but this seems quicker.

Might I add a house rule of my own involving Piercing?

Because of it's similar cost structural basis, I allow Lack of Weakness to defend against Piercing.

Oooh. You know, I've never built an NPC or monster with lack of weakness in my current game, but I think that's a good idea generally.

(None of the mutatnts have ever built that power specifically, and the Talent I built to mimic Find Weakness was on a character that died too quickly to see it in action.)

Based on that I would be tempted to allow CSL to add 1-point of piercing to a non-resistant piercing attack, but I might require 2 CSL to all 1-point of resistant piercing.

I think I might go for 1 CSL for Resistant Piercing, 2 CSLs to overcome a level of Hardened (or Lack of Weakness). Again, that's slanted for Heroic scale games, I can see it going differently in Superheroic.