How do you find the lost tomb of Genghis Khan?

Nyrath

Re: How do you find the lost tomb of Genghis Khan?

According to Harold Lamb's classic biography of Genghis Khan, despite subsequent romantic legends Genghis was reputedly buried in a simple grave like other Mongols high or low, without a lot of panoply. If so there won't be any "tomb" structures to identify, technology notwithstanding.

Ah, you're no fun. ;)

But with every such high-tech search, there is always the chance of stumbling over something that you were not looking for, that may be even more high value than the object of your original search.

Was Genghis Khan the one said to be buried beneath a river? Or am I thinking of someone else? (Alexander the Great' date=' maybe... :think:)[/quote']

Someone else, in SE Europe if I recall correctly, but I'm blanking on who and my search-fu is failing me.

A river was diverted to cover his grave, according to some versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Genghis_Khan

Thanks! That article also mentions the same idea for Gilgamesh, and Kristopher recalls a SE European king too. Maybe it's common folklore for several leaders with unknown gravesites... :)

When you think about it' date=' going to such great lengths to hide their leader's burial place so it won't be disturbed, is as much a gesture of respect as building a great monument to him.[/quote']

There's also the advantage that the next leader won't be able to dig up your skull and use it as a standard ornament.

cheers, Mark

Was Genghis Khan the one said to be buried beneath a river? Or am I thinking of someone else? (Alexander the Great' date=' maybe... :think:)[/quote']

No, Alexander was buried in ..... wait for it .... Alexandria! His tomb was a big tourist attraction for about 400 years and became a cult centre (we have multiple contemporary accounts of visits to it), but when paganism was outlawed in the Roman Empire, the cult was suppressed so we don't know exactly where it stood.

cheers, Mark

That's "Alexandria" on the Nile delta, to be precise. Alexander founded several cities across his empire, all named "Alexandria-Something-Or-Other." :rolleyes:

At least Genghis Khan wasn't into inscribing his name all over the landscape. ;)

That's "Alexandria" on the Nile delta' date=' to be precise. Alexander founded several cities across his empire, all named "Alexandria-Something-Or-Other." :rolleyes:[/quote']

Yeah, I was tempted to use the old name (Memphis) and make a Tennessee joke, but restrained the impulse :D

At least Genghis Khan wasn't into inscribing his name all over the landscape. ;)

Well, we don't know if he could write :D

cheers, Mark