6th Edition Measurement

GamePhil

I wanted to comment on this from my personal perception, but not on the thread in which the conversation started. If anything is wrong with my conclusions, perhaps they will be corrected. Then again, perhaps not.

Take the following with a grain of salt. I am not basing it on any special knowledge, only publicly made statements, though some of these may have come from non-forum sources, such as hearing Steve talk about them at DDC or GenCon.

I'll clarify the question, not for people to clarify in this thread (which would be inappropriate, IMO), but so it can be addressed in either a future Showcase post or in the APG.

I very much doubt if this is going to be Showcased at any point. I can't imagine it would whet the appetite of any of the readers, a stated purpose of the Showcases. I don't know if it's really an issue for the APG, either: it seems to lack the Advanced portion of the title.

Suppose, for example, there are three characters with moves of 25m, 26m, and 27m. How do they move on the hex map if 1 hex = 2m? How is Turn Mode handled?

Hexes are being removed and all measurements are being done in meters. I have seen no indication that any kind of specific support is going to be given for using hex maps in the core books. If you want to continue using hexes, there's nothing stopping that: anyone using a hex map will simply establish their own scales, and I expect many will stick to 2m=1 hex, as per tradition. But that's all it ever was, a scale.

I see no reason why Turn Mode would change, save that it would have the "hex" face removed in favor of, say, 60 degrees.

As for how you want to round, that's up to the individual GM. If you use 1hex is 2m, perhaps you'll require them to buy an even number of meters of movement, or perhaps you'll allow them to round up (or force them to round down). Perhaps there will be suggestions in the book, but as I said, I have seen no evidence that such will be provided.

Or is the "official" hex map now using 1m hexes? (I wouldn't object to that; there's some sense to it.)

There is not going to be an official hex map. This I'm pretty certain about. The book is not going to use hexes, only meters. It is being left to us to establish our scales if we choose to use maps.

Re: 6th Edition Measurement

And to be honest, I think this approach is much easier and more flexible. Some gamers like hexes. Some like squares. Some don't like using any easily-countable scaled backdrop like that, because it encourages players to count distances more precisely than characters could estimate.

This will accommodate all those styles, plus allow easier use of things like vanilla maps pulled from non-gaming sources, etc.

Some don't like using any easily-countable scaled backdrop like that, because it encourages players to count distances more precisely than characters could estimate.

Well, I like using easily-countable scaled backdrops because it encourages *me* to count the distance rather than throwing up my hands and saying, "That's about 15 meters". :)

Wait, that's pretty much what I do nowadays, anyway. Oh, well.

I strongly recommend that if you're going to use hexes, you limit movement buys to even numbers of hexes.

In the days of Robot Warriors, hexes could be anywhere from 2-16 or more meters, in terms of multiples of two. Robots didn't buy meters of movement, they bought hexes at their ground scale. And if, for some reason, you needed to fix an amount (what's 5 4-meter hexes in a 16-meter scale?) you'd round. (Which is perfectly okay, with two-meter hexes, when you wonder "My guy has 7" of Running. What's his Half-move?")

If you're using hexes, and you set each hex equal to N meters, you're completely within your rights to require your players to buy movement in terms of N meter hexes. For N=2 or pi or 87 or whatever.

Can I suggest we all get a sheet of hex paper' date=' and cut out a strip of hexes, say, 40 hexes long, less if they are big hexes and, you know, use that as a ruler?[/quote']

You can suggest it, but it shan't change the general impression that you are off your rocker. :P;)

(Man I love the contraction, "shan't." I feel justified in using it so rarely.)

I'm very happy we're simplifying to a standarsized real world notation for distance and velocity. It streamlines the equations things for those of us who just wing it, and allows flexibility in setting situationally apropos scales for the post wargaming battle map crowd.

I'm very happy we're simplifying to a standarsized real world notation for distance and velocity. It streamlines the equations things for those of us who just wing it' date=' and allows flexibility in setting situationally apropos scales for the post wargaming battle map crowd.[/quote']

Hey, nobody said anything about velocity! Since I don't think the Time Chart or basic movement has changed, we'll more than likely have velocity units of meters per Phase, rather than meters per second. So it'll still take some conversion. Heh. We're closer though.