What effect do AP and RP limits have on Characteristics?

GMumford

First off, I know the correct answer is whatever the GM decides, but I would like to hear your interpretation of the rules in the book.

I was rereading Teen Champions, specifically the character guidelines on the bottom of page 37, and was wondering how the various limits listed interacted.

Do AP limits count against characteristic base values? If not, then bricks get 10 more AP to work with then blasters. Of course, the brick still has to fit within the DC limit. If RP counted against base values, the maximum un-Limited DEX would be 6.

If I have a characteristic higher than 18 and a skill based on that charcteristic, do I get 13- or more on the skill even though the limit is 12-? I suppose I could partially limit the characteristic with Does Not Apply To Skills. How much is that worth? Probably more for INT than DEX.

CV limits limit the grand total CV including DEX, CSLs, Martial Arts, ect., right? If anyone can get +3 DCV with the Dodge Combat Maneuver, does that mean everything else added up has a limit of 5 DCV when the CV limit is 8?

Any other insights would be appreciated.

Re: What effect do AP and RP limits have on Characteristics?

If there is, for instance, a 40 pt cap on attacks, I believe it's safe to say that in 99% of the campaigns this would limit a brick to 40 STR (not 10 + 40 = 50).

When mixing and matching powers against characteristics, it is the total effect that you are comparing...not the expenditure.

Similarly, (still a 40pt cap) you also could not have an 8d6 EB and then a +4d6 EB to stack on top of it. Each attack is under the point limit but together (the total) is over.

When I enforced AP Caps, I tend to count Base Characteristics in that value.

It gets tricky with things like DEX though, where 10 DEX is already 30 AP.

In which case I tend to set Characteristic Guidelines.

For the most part, only STR and PRE (both of which involve some form of Attack capability) get seriously counted for AP Caps.

I do not use RP Caps.

Do AP limits count against characteristic base values? If not' date=' then bricks get 10 more AP to work with then blasters.[/quote']

Actually, not true. 60 STR is 60 Active Points of STR, despite the fact that you only paid 50 points for it.

It gets tricky with things like DEX though' date=' where 10 DEX is already 30 AP.[/quote']

Which shows that AP caps aren't always useful.

In which case I tend to set Characteristic Guidelines.

Yup - active point limits aren't a be-all end-all.

Actually' date=' not true. 60 STR is 60 Active Points of STR, despite the fact that you only paid 50 points for it.[/quote']

I agree with this. A 12d6 EB, 0 END, act 11-, OIF is still 75 AP, notwithstanding other factors reduce the points actually spent. The base characteristic is just a different reduction to points spent to get the AP result.

Which shows that AP caps aren't always useful.

Definitely. I prefer Damage Class Caps. If I set AP Caps they tend to be 25% higher or so that any DC Caps I set.

The way I see it a DC Cap allows the game to set and find levels of capabilities - if you know that X is the highest amount of damage that can be caused you can add in the Absolute Rule easily, or create weak/middle/strong/woah! types.

AP Caps tend to just restrict creativity.

when making characters for any game I play in I count the total strength in the ap cap not what I could add

in a 40 ap game that is a max of 8d6 damage period