Sixth Edition Showcase #1: ACV And AVAD

Re: Sixth Edition Showcase #1: ACV And AVAD

Actually' date=' none of these builds sell back Leaping. They might sell back Running, or INT or EGO, but their inability to Leap was taken as a Physical Limitation, described out with severity and frequency, but only awarded points equal to the value of the Leaping. IIRC, Elephants and Rhinos have it.[/quote']

Not quite: You'd take the value of the Disadvantage (5 or 10) or the value of selling back half/all but 1"/all of your Leaping, whichever is greater. Overly complex mess I won't be sorry to see go, though there are still some drawbacks that will require GM oversight.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is extremely similar to what I suggested on the 6E thread dealing with attacks, so obviously, I'm all for it.:thumbup: The one thing I suggested that isn't here is simply making killing an advantage which goes against a less common defence (rDEF) :thumbdown. I think it would simplify things if we had a single attack power, the lethality of which could be tuned to taste.

Still, an' all, while I was underwhelmed by the suggested changes to characteristics, what I have seen so far about powers building has revived my interest in 6E, so overall :thumbup: so far.

cheers, Mark

What about swapping out the Armor Piercing advantage for AVAD(hardened defenses)? If your defenses aren't hardened, the damage goes straight through, and if they are, then it's applied against those defenses specifically. Arguably that might be a more accurate portrayal of what armor-piercing attacks do...

I'd guess offhand that would be a more expensive advantage than the +1/2 for AP, BTW...

What about swapping out the Armor Piercing advantage for AVAD(hardened defenses)? If your defenses aren't hardened, the damage goes straight through, and if they are, then it's applied against those defenses specifically. Arguably that might be a more accurate portrayal of what armor-piercing attacks do...

I'd guess offhand that would be a more expensive advantage than the +1/2 for AP, BTW...

Neat idea. And it could be applied to half (or any other portion) of an attack to build the equivalent of the current AP Advantage (or maybe even Find Weakness...). The new Advantage applied to half the DCs of an attack could very well turn out to be equivalent in cost to a +1/2 Advantage on the whole power, or at least in the ballpark....

EDIT: Hmm. Or not. Not sure what I was smoking here. Always letting through half the damage of an attack is quite definitely NOT the same as halving the defense that works against it. :idjit:

EDIT: Maybe it would work better for Penetrating.

Yeah .... I like that. It's simpler, avoids the issue that AP cuts 3 DEF off a flak jacket and 23 DEF off Dr Destroyer's armour and also, IIRC, Find Weakness is going away, so it removes all of the "cut defences in half" stuff. It would also make Hardened more meaningful.

cheers, Mark

Yeah .... I like that. It's simpler, avoids the issue that AP cuts 3 DEF off a flak jacket and 23 DEF off Dr Destroyer's armour and also, IIRC, Find Weakness is going away, so it removes all of the "cut defences in half" stuff. It would also make Hardened more meaningful.

cheers, Mark

You are correct that Find Weakness is going away. Though I think it is safe to say that AP isn't, since as I recall Steve's comment about people complaining about FW going away was "If you really feel the need you can rebuild it with AP". :)

Which certainly wouldn't prevent anyone from getting rid of it in their own games...

And to Megaplayboy: I like the AVAD: Hardened Defenses idea! :thumbup:

AVAD vs Hardened Defenses is certainly an interesting idea and implementation of the new rule. I'd be hesitant to use it to replace AP in my games as Hardened Def is pretty rare but that's game based not a problem with the idea.

This is extremely similar to what I suggested on the 6E thread dealing with attacks' date=' so obviously, I'm all for it.:thumbup: The one thing I suggested that isn't here is simply making killing an advantage which goes against a less common defence (rDEF)[/quote']

Well, it's quite possible you'll be able to build them that way if you want to, it's just that Killing Attacks will continue to exist as another option. Here's hoping.

AVAD vs Hardened Defenses is certainly an interesting idea and implementation of the new rule. I'd be hesitant to use it to replace AP in my games as Hardened Def is pretty rare but that's game based not a problem with the idea.

I've started doing FW as:

Naked Advantage: Penetrating, Skill or Activation Roll.

I use a 60 AP costing assumption ala the suggestion for super-skills in DC. I also use the 1 Body per die maximum option in 5ER. If someone wants all attacks they slap the Variable Effects advantage on it at the appropriate level. Multiple successful rolls just offset levels of hardened. You'll do 1 Body per die for killing attacks, and 1 stun per die for regular attacks, but it doesn't ever go over that (unless you're attack could overpower their defenses to start with). I think it fits better, and isn't generally overpowering.