Planning Villains for a group

After recently converting over to Hero, it looks like I'm just about ready to start a superheroic campaign with my group. While "rolling up" some villains, a question occurred to me...

What is a good general point-range for a single villain that would serve as a good challenge for a group of 3-4, 350 point superheroes? I know almost any villain with the right powers in the right circumstance could pose a threat, but I am strictly talking points here. Anybody have any general rules for scaling villain point totals per number of opponents?

Re: Planning Villains for a group

That is a tricky question. It is tricky because a point total does not necessarily reflect how tough a group might find a villain.

In a straight fight, a villain should probably have noticeably higher defences than the heroes or they will go down fast if they are on their own.

It depends on how you build characters, but most 'average' superhero types (certainly if you take the example characters in 5ER) will go down if they are hit 4 times. Potentially a villain could go down on the first phase of combat.

Again that depends how you use them - in direct confrontation you might need a 400 or 450 point villain to give 4 x350 point heroes a run. For more subtle types (messing with their heads or perceptions) a 250 point villain might cause them trouble.

As Sean points out, in HERO character design is so flexible that it can be tough to compare the capabilities of characters even built on the same number of points. There aren't any official tables or formulas that one can consult. Most experienced HERO GMs I know just eyeball characters and use their instincts.

I would suggest to you that since you're just starting running HERO, don't be afraid to fudge some of the dice rolls for your villains if the heroes are having too hard or too easy a time with them to really enjoy the encounter. As a general guideline, what would be the most fun for the players should occasionally overrule random dice IMHO; but particularly when you're not accustomed to how the characters' abilities interact, that practice can help get you around the learning curve and keep your game sessions both challenging and rewarding.

Don't worry about the points. Worry about making a challenge for your players. Here's a bunch of stream of consciousness mumbo-jumbo. I hope some of it is useful.

What's the story?

Before you build the villain, consider why he's there at all. What do the PCs gain by facing him? What do they learn? How do they change? What makes him a bad guy?

The master villain should have a place in at least one of the PCs story arcs. Look to the PC Disadvantages for hints (DNPC, Susceptibility, Rivalry, Enraged, Accidental Change, Psych Lims . . . all can be the reason for a villain to exist in your game).

Ultimately, the reason for introducing a master villain should be based both on character development and the need to advance the plot. Do you want the PCs to gain confidence (overconfidence?) by taking a real nasty piece of work down a peg or three? Do you want the PCs to question themselves? Do you want the PCs to triumph over adversity? Do you want the PCs to learn that they need each other?

Once you know why you need a villain in the first place, you need to settle on some numbers.

Defenses

Make a list (in your mind or on a piece of paper) of all the most likely PC attacks and how much damage those attacks are likely to do. Look for ways for all the PCs to do some damage to the villain. Tweek his defenses to make that possible. (Vulnerability, defenses with Limitations, balancing PD-ED-rPD-rED-MD-PD . . . all these can help you here.)

Keep in mind each character's schtick. If one of the PCs is supposed to land devastating blows, don't ignore that! The villain may be hard for that PC to hit, but the blows that do land should be devastating. If one of the PCs is supposed to be able to hit just about anything, don't ignore that! Let that PC hit the villain again and again, but make it clear that it will take a lot of pounding before the villain goes down.

If you prefer for your players to think creatively, make your master villain more or less immune to your PCs usual powers but vulnerable to creative attacks. (Teamwork, lesser used Powers, surprise maneuvers, something in the environment . . . all these can help you here.)

Remember that if your villain's REC is too high, the fight may never end. Remember that if your villain's CON is too low, the PCs may stun him right away and the villain will never get the chance to act.

Attacks

Make a list of all the standard PC defenses. Keeping in mind each character's schtick, decide about how many solid shots you want to be able to land on PC before that PC goes down. Most Bricks should be able to handle the master villain's standard attack, but are in danger if the master villain switches to something more powerful (Extra Time, Restrainable, Focus, Concentration . . . all these can help). Most Speedsters should be able to avoid the villain's standard attack -- and should have a reason to do so!

Don't forget PC Vulnerabilities! Use Vulnerabilities to create attacks that most PCs shrug off, but are quite dangerous to one of the PCs.

Movement

Master villains tend toward one of two extremes: 1) They hardly move at all, 2) They're constantly in motion. You can certainly opt for something in the middle, but the extremes are interesting.

Whatever form(s) of movement you settle on, make sure that most PCs have the opportunity to attack. Flight can ruin a fight for some heroes.

Running the battle

Don't lose track of the story! Don't forget why you built the villain in the first place. Don't try to control every little moment -- it's much more fun to be surprised by what your players and Lady Luck have in store for you -- but don't be afraid to put a thumb on the scales if the battle is turning into a pointless exercise.

It's a simple matter to add or subtract a die or two from your attacks -- tell players how "surprised" you are that previous rolls were all so low (or high).

If your players think of something clever, make sure that it works to some extent. Right at the beginning of the battle, cleverness might have little impact, but if the battle is going poorly for the PCs, cleverness should definitely turn the tide -- villain character sheet numbers be damned! It often helps to say, "That first idea you had was a good one. If only you could figure out some way to distract the bad guy and do it again..."

One power that is very friendly to villian builds is Damage Reduction, it allows you to have low defences for the martial artist detective to still put "stun" on target, while letting the heavy hitter (say a Brick doing a move through) also do his "thang".

For a DR x1/2 I'd say just divide the amount of defense you think otherwise nessisary.

i.e. He needs 40 def, dang the detective will never do anything!...so just DR x1/2 and use 20 Def, and you've got a big bad that can take a couple of hits....

I would say look at the sheet. If the villain is tailored to their strengths, then he needs to be 800 or 900. If the villain is tailored to their weaknesses, then he should be around 500.

Never underestimate a good skills list in hosing people. I ran a scenario on a MUSH where all the villain did for half a game year was teleport around and use ventriloquism and mimicry to make a cult think what he was doing was real.