Disadvantages - Anybody know of a good resource?

A while back, someone posted a link to something like "lostcoastgaming.com" and there was this huge database of disadvantages. It looked like an awesome resource, but I went there today only to find that the site is gone. I've really been hitting a brick wall on disadvantages lately so I was heart-broken to find it missing. Did anyone happen to get a backup of that site or does anyone know of a similar resource for disadvantages?

Re: Disadvantages - Anybody know of a good resource?

Huh, odd. Site seems to not only be gone - but likes to lock up IE here at work when I even attempt to access it.

http://www.cellularsmoke.net/rpgs/masterlistdisads.php

there, that's another backup of the list I keep around because stuff like this keeps happening to it.

According this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72674&highlight=master+lists

The hosting site was going down this month and everyone was advised to save a copy.

I saved it to my machine but it seemed odd that my browsers (FF and ie) both seem to indicate that they load the website. I guess it was just quirk of the way the page was setup.

Hm... the page must be in your cache or something. I tried to open the link in both Firefox and IE and it wouldn't open. Same goes for when I tried to go to the main page (nextgenrpg.com) by itself. It just says it cannot display the webpage. Everything else is working fine, so I know it's not my connection.

Hm... the page must be in your cache or something. I tried to open the link in both Firefox and IE and it wouldn't open. Same goes for when I tried to go to the main page (nextgenrpg.com) by itself. It just says it cannot display the webpage. Everything else is working fine' date=' so I know it's not my connection.[/quote']

Now that is really odd.

I can load http://nextgenrpg.com/ which is a completely different looking site and it has current content showing (see attached screen shot).

This sounds like it could be some sort of DNS issue specific to your ISP.

You might want to try clearing the dns resolver cache on your machine* or resetting your cable/dsl modem and router if that doesn't work.

*In case your unfamiliar with how to do this...

from a command prompt type:

ipconfig/ release

enter, then type:

ipconfig/ flushdns

enter, then type:

ipconfig/ renew

enter, then type

ping nextgenrpg.com

If that doesn't get replies you might want to try resetting your broadband equipment and router.

If that still fails then you probably should contact your ISP.

HM

Not in my cache and I was able to open it. May be a javascript thing since that site is full of it. Anyone have a link to just a list instead of that?

Doh!

Check to see if your browser is blocking javascript.

Firefox has pluggins that do this automatically until you enable it for a particular site.

How odd... just IMed my wife at home (I'm at work) and sent her the link. Turns out it opens just fine at home! Guess I'll check it out when I get off.

Sorry for that confusion, but I've never ran into a site that wouldn't open up from the office. Ah well, thanks again! If not for those responses, I would have just written the site off ;)

Huh, odd. Site seems to not only be gone - but likes to lock up IE here at work when I even attempt to access it.

http://www.cellularsmoke.net/rpgs/masterlistdisads.php

there, that's another backup of the list I keep around because stuff like this keeps happening to it.

Of course bad stuff happens to it....it's bunch of Disadvantages, bad stuff happens by definition.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary lists Unluck, Hunted: Gremlins, Reputation: Unreliable website, Vulnerable: Cybernetic Attacks, Susceptible: Random Bugs, etc

Guest Worldmaker

Yes - the first link I posted is dirt simple PHP+HTML.

Its also not being updated and is about a year behind...

Only because at one point I offered to host it when the original went down, and have never received notices that updates have been added. In fact I never received notice that a new host site was found and my copy was redundant.

I don't have time or inclination to check the new location for updates.

It's there - take it or leave. It's a backup copy just in case.

Guest Worldmaker

That's cool. I wasn't accusing anything. Just pointing out that the NextGen RPG site's copy is being updated by its creator.

If that's the list I'm thinking of - the one that started on Global Guardians - it really needs organization, something like the Until Database. You know - "Robot Disads," "Military Disads," etc. I started that project a while back, but I'm basically lazy. I'd definitely pay for it, though. What about a Hero book?

Guest Worldmaker

If that's the list I'm thinking of - the one that started on Global Guardians - it really needs organization' date=' something like the Until Database. You know - "Robot Disads," "Military Disads," etc. I started that project a while back, but I'm basically lazy. I'd definitely pay for it, though. What about a Hero book?[/quote']

Problem being that one disad could fit into ten or eleven categories.

Problem being that one disad could fit into ten or eleven categories.

Absolutely. I'm not saying it would be easy - that's one reason I would pay for it.

It wouldn't have to be done as I described, either; it would be an improvement to break it into broad categories, of which the GG list already had a few, like "Attitude About Lethal Force," which contained several different psych disads. You could have, e.g., "Sensory Problems;" "Secrets;" "Minor Interaction Problems;" etc.

I'm sure it would be difficult to do even that, but maybe a handful of those categories would make a difference. Ideally, I'd like to see a book that organized disads both ways, so you would come across the same disad in a few places. That way you could say "What kind of things might my robot character have," or "What kind of sensory problem might my character have?"

I should point out that I haven't seen the list (if it's even the same one) as it is currently posted - maybe some of that has already been done.