strange site

Redmenace

Re: strange site

Maybe I've just seen one too many claim that natural formations of rock are "proof" of lost civilizations from our ancient past' date=' or that the Sphinx "just has to be older", to draw a line if it's "just for fiction" -- because there seems to be no shortage of people who are... mentally unable draw the line... ("Don't you understand that The DiVinci Code is based on the real hidden history!" :rolleyes: )[/quote']

Well, as regards the Sphinx, there COULD (maybe) be something to that. In a nutshell, there are Geologists who theorize that the Sphinx is much MUCH older than is usually asserted (and provide data to back this up);versus Egyptologists who pronounce that this is rubbish, that all of Egypt's ancient history is nicely lined up, and that no major revision or rethink is called for.

That isn't to say I think the Sphinx was originally carved by Atlanteans using psionically-charged laser crystals or anything like that. Nor do I think that any long-established theories or mindsets are automatically doomed to obsolesence. But, a very important part of science involves reevaluating what we think we know, especially in the light of new information or new ideas.

But yeah, that picture of the rock with lines. It just looks like a rock with lines to me. I don't "see" any mastodon.

Re: strange site

That isn't to say I think the Sphinx was originally carved by Atlanteans using psionically-charged laser crystals or anything like that.

Which is not to say that in the alternate fictional universe of a Pulp Hero (or whatever) setting it couldn't have been if it makes for a fun adventure or cool bit of background fluff.