How do you do a 'Limit Break' style power?

Crissa

I'd like to introduce powers that either happen based upon how much beating a target has taken - like a Final Fantasy style Limit Break, where a power gets to be used once some tally has been taken. Or powers that take multiple rounds to trigger, but don't take concentration.

I've tried searching, but I don't know what keywords to use. In Mutants and Masterminds, this would be with Absorption, Boost, and Delayed...

-Crissa

Re: How do you do a 'Limit Break' style power?

I've never played final fantasy so I have no idea what a break limit is.

Anywhore you can buy a power, and give it a limitation value based on how often you'll be able to use the power.

If it is only after you've lost half your body I'd call that a -1 limitation. If is only when you are at negative body, I'd call it a -2.

What exactly to you want to model, in plain English?

I'd like to introduce powers that either happen based upon how much beating a target has taken - like a Final Fantasy style Limit Break, where a power gets to be used once some tally has been taken. Or powers that take multiple rounds to trigger, but don't take concentration.

I've tried searching, but I don't know what keywords to use. In Mutants and Masterminds, this would be with Absorption, Boost, and Delayed...

-Crissa

I'm not sure exactly how you are using terms, but I'd suggest looking at Limited Power Limitation as Alibear recommends, the Limitation Extra Time, the Power Absorbtion, and possibly the Limitation End Reserve (combined with Absorbtion/Aid to fill it).

Maybe someone more experienced could tell me if this is legal or not, but:

I think you could use the Absorption power with the points gained when you take damage going into an END pool only usable for X-attacks (your “limit breaks”) and build those powers with Limitations, can only be used with END from END pool powered by Absorption. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that, but I think that basic setup works…I think.

Maybe someone more experienced could tell me if this is legal or not, but:

I think you could use the Absorption power with the points gained when you take damage going into an END pool only usable for X-attacks (your “limit breaks”) and build those powers with Limitations, can only be used with END from END pool powered by Absorption. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that, but I think that basic setup works…I think.

Actually, that is one of the examples that I was thinking of. My biggest problem is that it actually makes the base ability more expensive, not less.

Limit Break is a term commonly used to refer to powerful combat moves featured in various games of the Final Fantasy series. Limit Breaks generally occur when a character has taken a large amount of damage in combat' date=' and offers the possibility of dealing large amounts of damage in return (or in some cases, buffing the party). The mechanic has appeared in various forms in [i']Final Fantasy VI[/i] through Final Fantasy XII, although Final Fantasy VII and the English version of Final Fantasy VIII are the only games to refer to the mechanic as "Limit Break." The names given to the mechanic in other games include "Desperation Attacks" (VI), "Special Arts" (Japanese version of VIII), "Trance" (IX), "Overdrive" (X) "Oversoul" (X-2), "Weapon Skills" (XI), and "Quickenings" (XII). In Final Fantasy IX, the Limit Break mechanic, referred to as "Trance" in that game, played an important role in a number of plot points.

Can I suggest something like (for a 12d6 game):

10d6 EB 50 points

+8d6 EB 0 END inverse linked to Stun (-1/2) +40 points

So, say you have 40 stun, every time you lose any stun, your damage potential goes up. Between 39 and 35 stun, you do 11d6, between 30 and 34, you do 12d6, and when you are down to 1-4 stun, you do 18d6.

The more they hurt you the harder you fight back.

Alternatively, you could just add 6d6 0END with a -1 (only when at 10 stun, or less. OK, the 0 END is not essential, but it seems logical - it would be a bit silly, after all, to gain the extra damage but not be able to use it. You may think otherwise.

Here's a post from the thread Lord Liaden linked to, with a link to Killer Shrike's setup for a "limit break" type build. It's extremely detailed, check it out.

Killer Shrike wrote up a new framework called a Threshold Scale that works perfectly for modeling Limit Breaks (IIRC, trying to model Limit Breaks was one of the things that led him to do it)

it can be found here:

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHERO/ThresholdFramework.htm

Here's a post from the thread Lord Liaden linked to' date=' with a link to Killer Shrike's setup for a "limit break" type build. It's extremely detailed, check it out.[/quote']

Thanks for the plug.

To the OP:

There are various ways, but they can get clumsy, especially if you have many abilities that work like this or if its a central theme of the character.

I wrote up a new custom Framework to deal with this sort of ability in a cohesive fashion about 4 or 5 years ago. It's detailed here:

Threshold Framework

There are a few minor tweaks I keep meaning to make to it to smooth a few rough edges, but its generally playable and works.

Here's a post from the thread Lord Liaden linked to' date=' with a link to Killer Shrike's setup for a "limit break" type build. It's extremely detailed, check it out.[/quote']

I saw this thread yesterday and almost said something, because I seemed to remember commenting on this topic before, and lo and behold, this morning someone quotes me (pointing to KS, which was what I would have done anyway)

it's like deja vu all over again

Sounds like a pushed attack' date=' say +6d6 which you can only use off a specific end battery and the end battery only recovers as you take damage.[/quote']

Thats a pretty good way to build it...and REC X "Requires pain" makes me smile...;)