Pulp basics

quozaxx

I have a player in my champaign that is straight out of the Pulp era. Basically a Topper (Ghostlike) character in my Champions campaign.

In getting to know the character better; I'd like to know what to look for in Pulp basics.

You know, I'm not ready to purchase The Pulp book yet. I'm not really into the era, but would like to be prepared when questions start to arise.

Also any advise you may want to add when using a Pulp type character in a Champions type game.

Re: Pulp basics

I have a player in my champaign that is straight out of the Pulp era. Basically a Topper (Ghostlike) character in my Champions campaign.

In getting to know the character better; I'd like to know what to look for in Pulp basics.

You know, I'm not ready to purchase The Pulp book yet. I'm not really into the era, but would like to be prepared when questions start to arise.

Also any advise you may want to add when using a Pulp type character in a Champions type game.

Well Pulp is probably one of my favorite settings and while in no way an 'expert' I may be able to help a little with some more information.

But Pulp covers a very wide range of possibilities and settings. Everything from two fisted adventurers exploring lost cities in darkest Africa or Atlantis on the bottom of the ocean to exploring the center of the Earth to an Ace pilot shooting down Nazi Spys in their fighter to Space Rangers trading sword blows and raygun blasts on Mars. Some Pulps were just the hard bitten PI investigating a mystery or even a gunslinger in the Old West.

And I have never heard of a Topper. Is that a character type from some video game? What can a Topper do and what is the theme of the PC?

I've posted this link before because I think it's a pretty good primer on pulp:

THE PULP AVENGERS: Game Mastering Pulp Adventures in the 1930s and 1940s

Even if you just read a little bit of it, it should help give you a better feel for running or playing in a pulp game.

Excellent resource. I lost the link from the last time :D

{jots down another movie to watch}

:D I would have never made the connection. I have been watching a lot of old (30's 40's) movies and serials but never even looked at anything in the comedy category. Thanks SSgt Baloo, jtelson

But back to the topic,

quozaxx , are they correct about what you mean? If so, is the PC a person that is haunted/assisted by a/some ghosts? Or is the PC ghostlike?

Guest Admiral C

I've posted this link before because I think it's a pretty good primer on pulp:

THE PULP AVENGERS: Game Mastering Pulp Adventures in the 1930s and 1940s

Even if you just read a little bit of it, it should help give you a better feel for running or playing in a pulp game.

HA! I totally needed this link for my players. Thanks.

Guest Admiral C

Wiki entry for the movie: Topper

Your player may also be referring to the Ghost(s) who haunted Cosmo Topper (the protagonist of the movies).

Huh, you learn something new everyday.

I can't help but to notice that top of the wikipedia page is asking for donations, Where is the wikipedia page that says how much they need so I can edit it and they can already be at their goals?

quozaxx , are they correct about what you mean? If so, is the PC a person that is haunted/assisted by a/some ghosts? Or is the PC ghostlike?

She was bitten by a vampire, in the 40s and instead of turning into a vampire, she turned into a ghost. So yes, I was referring to the movie "Topper" - which I have never seen was referenced to.