Random musings on Clinging

Doc Samson

There is no point to this thread, it is just my random thoughts (probably inspired by one of Sean's posts) while I am waiting for my coffee pot to heat up.

Clinging - why is Clinging merely a Standard Power and not placed in another category?

Movement Powers - should Clinging be a Movement Power? It provides another mode of travel (essentially Wallcrawling) similar to Flight or Swinging. While true that it does not follow the mold of most other movement powers in that it does not provide inches (hexes) of movement, there is a precedent for this in E-DM.

Body-Affecting Powers - should Clinging be a Body Control power? It alters the character's physical properties by allowing the use of STR in new ways, similar to Stretching or Extra Limbs. While it does not necessarily alter the characters appearance as do most other Body Control powers, neither does Density Increase.

Special Powers - should Clinging be a Special Power? It does not cost END like all other Special Powers. It is not, however, Persistent which most other Special Powers are, but Skills are also not Persistent and fall into this category. As far as Power Frameworks are concerned, simply placing Clinging in one will often yield levels of Clinging STR that will likely exceed campaign limits. I imagine many GMs would frown on a Base +150 Clinging STR in a 60 AP game.

So, should Clinging have been placed in another category? All thoughts, opinions, and rants are welcome. Ding! coffee is ready.

Re: Random musings on Clinging

I tend to gloss over the differences between "standard" and "special" powers. However, upon thinking about it, I think Clinging is really an Adder to Running. However, since everyone gets 6" of Running free, Clinging potentially becomes a "naked Adder." But otherwise, it is entirely dependent on the character with Clinging also having Running.

Re: Random musings on Clinging

I tend to gloss over the differences between "standard" and "special" powers. However' date=' upon thinking about it, I think Clinging is really an Adder to Running. However, since everyone gets 6" of Running free, Clinging potentially becomes a "naked Adder." But otherwise, it is entirely dependent on the character with Clinging also having Running.[/quote']

That depends. Maybe that character is something like a barnacle?