Bestiary builds, what do monsters do with experience?

Foolish Frost

Re: Bestiary builds, what do monsters do with experience?

Are you talking about the published character sheets for monsters? If that's the case, they're basically given free points so they can fit a certain power level without needing a bunch of aimless disadvantages...for example, disadvantages that don't make a dragon more dragonlike.

So I should add their XP to the standard 75 build points for monsters in the bestiary to figure out what power level they actually are?

For example: A cheetah is a 75 base point critter, and has 99 Xp listed in disadvantages. That means it's actually a 174 point creature?

So I should add their XP to the standard 75 build points for monsters in the bestiary to figure out what power level they actually are?

For example: A cheetah is a 75 base point critter, and has 99 Xp listed in disadvantages. That means it's actually a 174 point creature?

Essentially, yeah. Don't get too caught up in using points to determine power levels, though. The points determine how effective a character/animal/monster is on a campaign-wide scale. Most of the time, though, you only use monsters for combat, and if they've spent most of their points on combat abilities, they will totally pwn PCs that spent a lot of points on non-combat stuff, assuming they have equal point values.

For combat purposes, it's best to compare OCVs, DCVs, SPD scores, damage-dealing ability, and defenses.

Base + Disads + XP = Total Points available.

So, in reverse, if you spend say 200 points on a monster and their base is only 50 and you only took 50 points in Disads...then the other 100 points must be XP.

In the HERO System, XP is nothing more than any points not accounted for by Base and Disads. Think of the X as being short for EXTRA instead of EXPERIENCE and its less disorienting. ;)

In the old days they used to track it with a "VILLAIN BONUS" Disadvantage instead but there's no need to stigmatize people like that in this kindler gentler world we now live in. However if that makes more sense to you, you can also track it like that. It's just point accounting gimmicks, and in this case it really doesn't matter what label you stick on it or which side of the equation you chose to carry it.

Yeah, that's one of those just arbitrary and goofy things I hope 6th eliminates. I don't have "bonuses" in my monster builds because they are only of (very slight) use in campaigns built around a specific point value, and anyone who runs Hero can figure out in their head a 400 point creature is more powerful than a 150 point hero without the goofy "monster bonus".

• 2 weeks later...

Creatures store XP in their excess lairs, and adventurers who defeat them can claim it for their own. No, wait...

Actually I've never understood that either. Better to increase their base cost, to give an idea of how challenging they are (although that also doesn't work well, being very situational).