Gestalt of Electability

Steve

Re: Gestalt of Electability

It is my understanding that tor a Mental Attack to be undetectable by other Mentalists takes:

+1/2 (Base IPE), x2 to hide the effects of the use of the power = +1.

My logic is based on +1/4 for invisibility to an uncommon sense group, but call it +1/2 if you want. No impact on cost anyway.

This is an assumption. Very likely a safe one' date=' but still an assumption. ;) But don't forget the Classes of Minds! And there is no Breakout Roll for Tranformation Attack. :eg:[/quote']

No. Forget Classes of Mind. But that's another thread. Here, the answer is that only humans vote anyway (and if there are enough aliens to prevent a majority, that's a pretty odd game).

Going by the Less Than Full Dice chart on 5ER, p 114, a half die of Mind Control (5 pts per d6) costs 3 pts. (2 pts for 1 pip).

Giving us:

1/2d6 Mind Control (3 base points) - Zero END(Start; +1/2), Zero END(Maintain; +1/2), IPE(+1), Cumulative(3 pts max; +1/2), Increased Cumulative Points(x64 points = 196 Max; +1 1/2), Telepathic Command(+1/4), AoE(1 Hex; +1/2), Mega-Area(1 hex = 10 Million km; +2) (3 * 7.75 = 23 Active Points); Set Effect(Single Command - Vote For Me!; -1/2); No Range(-1/2), Extra Time(1 Minute; -1 1/2). Real Cost = 7.

I was using that 3. The added IPE advantage has no impact, so why even bother looking it up.

Please note that there is a potential problem with using Cumulative -- the relavent defense is applied to each of the rolls. So it would only take 3 pts of Mental Defense to completely stop this power. ;)

The electorate doesn't have Mental Defense. Toss on some Penetrating and half his attacks get one point through. He has lots of time, and another point won't wreck him.

The problem with Extra Time on an Attack Power is that it locks up the character's actions' date=' with No Time actions (like giving a speech ;)) being the only thing they can do without interrupting the attack. While choosing the "Onset Time" (like for Poisons) option would seem to get around this problem, it is a GM's Option to allow it.[/quote']

What else will he be doing? Really, he should have Incantations and, maybe, Gestures to reflect his speechmaking - that's what we do in political campaigns, and a typical speech runs 20 minutes plus.

Going by the Less Than Full Dice chart on 5ER' date=' p 114, Minor Transformation (10 pts per d6) would cost 5 pts for a half-die (or 3 pts for 1 pip). Giving us:[/quote']

Assuming we agree it's minor, of course. If it's not, your price goes up a bit. At most it's Major, and outside of Political Hero, Minor seems right.

1 pip Minor Transformation (People into People Who Vote For Me, Heals Back Normally; 3 base points), Zero END(+1/2), Armor Piercing(+1/2), Penetrating(+1/2), IPE(+2), AoE(1 Hex; +1/2), Mega-Area(1 hex = 10 Million km; +2) (3 * 7 = 21 Active Points); No Range(-1/2), Extra Time(1 Minute; -1 1/2). Real Cost = 7.

Ditto! :D And interestingly, they cost the same Real Points. ;)

My logic is based on +1/4 for invisibility to an uncommon sense group

I couldn't find that rule in 5ER. Is it a house rule?

No. Forget Classes of Mind. But that's another thread. Here' date=' the answer is that only humans vote anyway (and if there are enough aliens to prevent a majority, that's a pretty odd game).[/quote']

Perhaps the game is a hybrid clone of American Gods and Alien Nation? ;)

I was using that 3. The added IPE advantage has no impact' date=' so why even bother looking it up.[/quote']

I knew you were using the 3, I was quoting it for the benefit of the general audience. :) I looked up the IPE because I wanted to try and build the power accurately.

The electorate doesn't have Mental Defense. Toss on some Penetrating and half his attacks get one point through. He has lots of time' date=' and another point won't wreck him.[/quote']

True enough. :)

What else will he be doing? Really' date=' he should have Incantations and, maybe, Gestures to reflect his speechmaking - that's what we do in political campaigns, and a typical speech runs 20 minutes plus.[/quote']

Gestures & Incantaitons would be appropriate, though it would mean he couldn't do it while sitting in the campaign bus/airplane while in transit (at least not without making those around him wonder what the heck he was doing).

Assuming we agree it's minor' date=' of course. If it's not, your price goes up a bit. At most it's Major, and outside of Political Hero, Minor seems right.[/quote']

I came to the same conclusion -- and was also working from the example power "Psionic Surgery" (5ER, p238), which uses Minor.

Looks like all you needed was 'Shapeshift' date=' single form (Barack Obama)' and about 15 points in wealth...or possibly enough TK to pull 130 million to the voting booths :)[/quote']

"You can drag the apathetic to the voting booth, but you can't make them pull the lever." ;)

How about:

1 Follower (Loyal Voting Minion, 5 pts)

135 134,217,727 more 5 pt Followers.

Or:

28 One 141 pt Follower w/ 136 Duplication (134,217,727 five-point Dupes)

I couldn't find that rule in 5ER. Is it a house rule?

Looking at the rules, there has been a change to specifically make Mental Sense Group a +1/2 advantage, so he needs to pay a small amount more for that extra invisibility.

I don't use IPE very often, and I suspect I'm coming at it from the 4e rules.

Perk: Head of State.

Possibly a few more points to reflect that you can never lose any election for which you qualify: i.e. head of any particular state you choose, as long as you go through the motions of running for office and meet the qualifications (i.e. if you serve two terms in the US you can't run again but you could move to Australia, get citizenship, and run for Prime Minister - unless Australia has a "natural born citizen" clause like the US does.)

Or run for senate, or dogcatcher if you want - having already paid max points, plus points for flexibility (if you want to get really harsh about it, maybe make the character pay triple) you should be able to get any lesser office at will.

Lucius Alexander

Shaving the palindromedary with Occam's Razor