As Thick as a Brick (brick fan thread)

Doc Samson

Re: As Thick as a Brick (brick fan thread)

My starting brick had similar problems. I chose to make a brick because I was unfamiliar with the game system (I quickly memorized most rules once I found a copy of FRED). I ignored the giant enemy's attacks in my first fight' date=' but in the second fight a mentalist sent me on an errand that removed me from the entire battle (turns out the GM misread the break out role rules). Next thing I bought was a point of mental defense (4 points with ego/5).[/quote']

Actually, in my case, I deliberately left those holes in the character design - lack of special defences, lack of special senses and lack of defence against mind control.

The reason was that using OIHID and focusing on hitting stuff without any chrome, you can pack a whole lot of hurt into a relatively small package. Other bricks? With my CV they'd be lucky to land a blow more than once or twice a fight without brick tricks and I'm going to be hitting 6 or 7 times a turn. And with my DEF and CON, they'd be needing to land about 120 active points of blow to Stun me. Martial artists? I'm probably packing as much or more damage, more DEF and likely equivalent or higher DEX and SPD.

The whole point was to build an old school Captain Marvel type character who was pretty much unstoppable in a straight fight ..... but who could be outwitted/outplayed by many character archetypes, even those built on much lower points. I didn't see it as a problem so much as a design choice.

cheers, Mark

In Champions, I've only played one Brick of my own creation. Hell, I've only gotten to play Champions a handful of times, with only one long standing campaign.

My Brick was "Hardcase", a cyborg created by Doctor Destroyer from the body of a low-powered mutant who was part of a defeated UNTIL team or some such.

He was hard to build, as I wanted your average brick - so needed 75+ STR and insane defenses for the campaign at hand - but I also wanted your usual cyborg tricks; enhanced perception, computer link, IR/Telescopic Vision, etc. The GM ended up allowing a VPP Pool for Skills, so I could simulate being able to access the 'net and download whatever info I needed. By the time I got 50 or so XP, I was able to "upgrade" him to a more well-rounded version without sacrificing the brick schtick :D

He had the usual brick weaknesses - drains, transfers, and mental attacks. I added some defense against those later, but they never amounted to much. He was also weak to EMP attacks, which the GM never once used.

Was he flamable?

Pitch: *clings to lots of villians*

PC1: *throws match*

PC2: What are you doing!?:eek:

PC1: He's a brick, right? He can take it. :sneaky: *takes out bag of marshmellows and starts to cook them*

Pitch: :mad:

Wouldn't be the first time marshmellows were cooked on a flaming party member, won't be the last. (My group's blob actually cooked marshmellows on a fire/ice energy projector in response to a question during a public appearance.)

Pitch wasn't flammable (though maybe he should have been) but this reminds me of another character I made who was. I was playing Pitch at the time and the GM bailed out last minute. Everyone had already shown up, but no GM so I volunteer to run a one-nighter. I had no prepared villains (or story for that matter), so I grab Pitch's character sheet and decide to wing it.

The result was interesting I think. I used Pitch as the base character for my Archvillian (just adding APs to his attacks and defenses), but reversed all of his powers so that he was slippery instead of sticky. For example, instead of a Clinging Damage Shield, I gave him a Triggered Desolidification so that Grabs and Entangles would slip off him, I changed the Clinging UAA to an "Oil Patch" Change Environment, ect. The story involved finding out who was stealing oil right out of a bunch of oil wells in Texas and stopping him. His name was Pumpjack and he was using the oil to fuel his powers (in addition to making him filthy rich). Oh yah, he and all of his effects we quite flammable. :smoke:

Pitch wasn't flammable (though maybe he should have been) but this reminds me of another character I made who was. I was playing Pitch at the time and the GM bailed out last minute. Everyone had already shown up, but no GM so I volunteer to run a one-nighter. I had no prepared villains (or story for that matter), so I grab Pitch's character sheet and decide to wing it.

The result was interesting I think. I used Pitch as the base character for my Archvillian (just adding APs to his attacks and defenses), but reversed all of his powers so that he was slippery instead of sticky. For example, instead of a Clinging Damage Shield, I gave him a Triggered Desolidification so that Grabs and Entangles would slip off him, I changed the Clinging UAA to an "Oil Patch" Change Environment, ect. The story involved finding out who was stealing oil right out of a bunch of oil wells in Texas and stopping him. His name was Pumpjack and he was using the oil to fuel his powers (in addition to making him filthy rich). Oh yah, he and all of his effects we quite flammable. :smoke:

Impressive. Did you have HeroDesigner to help you, or were you making all these changes by hand/in your head?

Pumpjack: Fear my power over all oil! *Evil laugh*

PC1: Wait, you're made of oil?

Pumpjack: Yes! Fear my ultimate power!

PC1: *lights a match and throws it causing a huge bonfire* Mission accomplished.

Pumpjack: It BURNS!

PC1: Who's got the marshmellows? :D

PC2: He's not quite dead yet.

PC1: :help:

*Pumpjack gives PC1 a hug*

PC3: Now we get the marshmellows.:sneaky:

Wow, I really should get more sleep. Two stories and my unnamed characters are developing personalities. And telling me to burn things. I don't even like cooking marshmellows.

Let's put it this way. You are part of a team. Your teammates tend to go crunch when hit. You don't tend to go crunch when hit. If you're a team player or just a good person (or at least someone who sees reason to keep your teammates alive for your evil master plan) the smart thing to do is take more fire than your teammates. I would generally taunt and annoy the most powerful master villians' date=' not because I was over confident or a blow hard, but because I knew if anyone could take it, I could. And if you're just a rampaging brick without tactics, then nobody attacking you means that you really aren't that big of a threat or tough of a brick (this is the only thing that separates 3 year old temper tantrums with low int brick temper tantrums.)[/quote']

Let's put it this way, you have your style others have theirs. It's a superhero game not a tactical exercise. I don't fault you for playing how you want. I fault you for implying that other people are playing wrong.

Let's put it this way' date=' you have your style others have theirs. It's a superhero game not a tactical exercise. I don't fault you for playing how you want. I fault you for implying that other people are playing wrong.[/quote']

I apologize, but at the very least one must admit that drawing powerful attacks is an iconic trait for bricks, even if its only to demonstrate their resilience in narratives and commonly, in a team setting, serve to defend less resilient allies. I haven't had a lot of sleep recently because of a bad cold, so I again apologize.

Oh' date=' and as for Brick lines, I particularly like "[i']It Hulk's turn to reason with guys now[/i]" :D

That's one that gets lots of play in our game!

cheers, Mark

When the Hulk did a team up with the Thing and ended up on an alien planet the Hulk decided to reason with the aliens instead of fighting them. So he explained his viewpoint of the universe and put them all to sleep.

...Anyways, the PCs are in the cages, cheering for the Defenders, when Hulk tries to super-leap onto a Chinese villain, and misses. Said villain was hiding amongst the force-fields. Big ole Hulk crashes down, and with the velocity modifiers, BREAKS the UNBREAKABLE force field.

I as the GM sat there doodling, refiguring the math, and it was enough body to break it, while the players raved off howls of derisive laughter. Anyways, for revenge I also ruled the PC in that cage was thoroughly concussed. Hank McCoy had to figure out the machinery to take down the resot of the force fields.

YEA HULK !

Hulk's an old-school electronics tech. "If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!" :P

I apologize' date=' but at the very least one must admit that drawing powerful attacks is an iconic trait for bricks, even if its only to demonstrate their resilience in narratives and commonly, in a team setting, serve to defend less resilient allies. I haven't had a lot of sleep recently because of a bad cold, so I again apologize.[/quote']

Nah, I was being persnickity too. I also apologize.