Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Were it not for the question of how to cook the finished stuffed hamburger I would want that. A burger stuffed with shredded mozarelly or swiss sounds awfully good to me right now.

I have never purchased anything at Williams-Sonoma, but I've gone into the store often enough to salivate at the food potential that results from all that specialized equipment.

Were it not for the question of how to cook the finished stuffed hamburger I would want that. A burger stuffed with shredded mozarelly or swiss sounds awfully good to me right now.

I have never purchased anything at Williams-Sonoma, but I've gone into the store often enough to salivate at the food potential that results from all that specialized equipment.

I've seen them made on a few cooking shows, you cook them just like a regular burger. Might take a little practice to learn the new signs for how well done they are.

While I'm a big fan of food, and experimenting in the kitchen, you don't need the fancy gismos 9/10 of the time. That filled hamburger press is a prime example. I've been hand-forming burger patties my whole life. What does that extra piece of junk do that my hands won't?

I'm a firm believer in Alton Brown's philosophy that the only uni-tasker in the kitchen should be your fire extinguisher.

And throw some mushrooms in that stuffed cheeseburger, or bacon. Mmmmmm. If we Hadn't just been hammered with another foot and a half of snow, I'd be grilling tonight. I like the concept, just don't need the gizmo.

Somewhere recently I read about some kitchens buying high-speed/high-capacity lab centrifuges because it drastically accelerates making smooth sauces. Take the pan juices, 'fuge them, and then take the proper part out of the tube; voila! perfectly smooth sauce, because the chunky bits are all down at the bottom of the tube.

There are a few kitchen tools I swear by. Now that I have a decent set of knives, it makes my job easier. I love my cleaver. Mind you, reminding the husband to actually use the PROPER knife is still a chore. I love my bamboo steamer. I love my garlic press. I'll admit, there's more than a few gadgets out there I'd love to have (mandolin, pasta roller, food processor, a proper dutch oven), but our kitchen is too small to hold them.

Do the job quickly and consistently.

In a restaurant I could see it. For home use, the time to takes to dig that out of the pantry and clean it after use does not justify the time saved forming patties. Consistency I'll give you, but that's not a big deal on the backyard grill. If I was making these often enough to warrant a gizmo, I suspect my accuracy and proficiency in hand forming them would go up.

I'm not saying there isn't a time and a place for kitchen gadgets, lord knows I've got enough cluttering up my kitchen drawers, I just don't see the need for this one.

I have a springily rolling pin. It makes cookies with little embossed shapes on top. I make them once a year, every year, for Christmas. They are a pain to make, but traditional. Is it a one job kitchen gadget? Heck yes! Will I ever get rid of it? Never. Somethings are worth it. Everyone can decide what level of clutter they are willing to put up with.

Obviously, hamburger patty presses don't cross my "need" threshold.

In a restaurant I could see it. For home use, the time to takes to dig that out of the pantry and clean it after use does not justify the time saved forming patties. Consistency I'll give you, but that's not a big deal on the backyard grill. If I was making these often enough to warrant a gizmo, I suspect my accuracy and proficiency in hand forming them would go up.

I'm not saying there isn't a time and a place for kitchen gadgets, lord knows I've got enough cluttering up my kitchen drawers, I just don't see the need for this one.

I have a springily rolling pin. It makes cookies with little embossed shapes on top. I make them once a year, every year, for Christmas. They are a pain to make, but traditional. Is it a one job kitchen gadget? Heck yes! Will I ever get rid of it? Never. Somethings are worth it. Everyone can decide what level of clutter they are willing to put up with.

Obviously, hamburger patty presses don't cross my "need" threshold.

All good points. I was just answering the "what does it do that my hands can't" part. Whether it is worth it or not is obviously a personal choice. :)

Were I to get something like this, I'd use it to bulk make a lot of patties (possibly with different fillings) and then freeze them for later use. And by consistency I was more thinking of consistent quality (no leaks in the pocket, etc) rather than making sure they all looked the same.

There are a few kitchen tools I swear by. Now that I have a decent set of knives' date=' it makes my job easier. I love my cleaver. Mind you, reminding the husband to actually use the PROPER knife is still a chore. I love my bamboo steamer. I love my garlic press. I'll admit, there's more than a few gadgets out there I'd love to have (mandolin, pasta roller, food processor, a proper dutch oven), but our kitchen is too small to hold them.[/quote']

For garlic I just buy crushed garlic. One large tub of it isn't particularly costly, and it lasts me at least several months.

I'm quite fond of the egg cooker we've got. Though the combination of the coffee grinder (nice burr grinder) and the Aeropress are probably my favorite gadgets. :)

For garlic I just buy crushed garlic. One large tub of it isn't particularly costly, and it lasts me at least several months.

I'm quite fond of the egg cooker we've got. Though the combination of the coffee grinder (nice burr grinder) and the Aeropress are probably my favorite gadgets. :)

Eh, I've never liked the taste of already crushed garlic, so I don't mind pressing my own. Already crushed ginger on the other hand, that I'll buy, especially since that too will last several months.

Eh' date=' I've never liked the taste of already crushed garlic, so I don't mind pressing my own. Already crushed ginger on the other hand, that I'll buy, especially since that too will last several months.[/quote']

Normally I just mince cloves by hand with a knife. If I need a paste/crushed consistency I work the mince with the side of the blade. That being said I keep thinking of either getting a press or just a jar or the pre-worked stuff. I find I have the desire for fresh garlic more then I have the time/energy to do it properly. Which is of course the perfect time for a labor saving kitchen gizmo (or pre-processed food)

I forget where I heard it but:

"There is no recipe that can't be improved by the addition of garlic or chocolate"

Judging by the amount of both of those we go through in this house, I'm a believer.

All good points. I was just answering the "what does it do that my hands can't" part. Whether it is worth it or not is obviously a personal choice. :)

Were I to get something like this, I'd use it to bulk make a lot of patties (possibly with different fillings) and then freeze them for later use. And by consistency I was more thinking of consistent quality (no leaks in the pocket, etc) rather than making sure they all looked the same.

I would want one of those burger-patty-press thingies just because, when I try to form burgers on my own, I always make them too thick, resulting in them being either burnt on the outside or too rare/raw on the inside (or both).

I would want one of those burger-patty-press thingies just because' date=' when I try to form burgers on my own, I always make them too thick, resulting in them being either burnt on the outside or too rare/raw on the inside (or both).[/quote']

Cooking at a lower heat can help with that too. :)

Cooking at a lower heat can help with that too. :)

Yeah, that works on the stove, but it's a little harder to manipulate on a grill. i typically just buy a box of pre-shaped burger patties these days, though it sucks when they freezer-burn together and I have to use a hammer and chisel to separate them.

And! Always And! Swiss AND Mozza! And Bacon.

More on topic, I've seen lots of different patty formers. Mom had one that was a burger width tube. Meat goes in, press with plunger-thing, layer of wax paper, repeat.