Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

The topic of candy cigarettes came up in another thread, and I thought it might be appropriate for this one.  Now Wal-Mart and Target do not carry them from what I could find on their websites, and I imagine they aren't that available at other retail outlets.  But they can be found online.

Here they are at Amazon

And here they are at Candy Warehouse

This is what I found at Google Shopping

So if you wish to replace your craving for tobacco with a craving for processed sugar--there you go.

The objection to them is they're packaged VERY much like cigarettes, altho they're not allowed to use "cigarettes" on the package.  Wal Mart has moved away from selling tobacco in some stores, dropped e-cigs a couple years ago.  Target stopped selling tobacco in '96, so it's not surprising these, which are pretty much trying to foster a cig or e-cig association, aren't offered.

But they're not illegal, so of course there are sellers.

I also think the bigger retail outlets focus on the major candy/snack companies.  That's what moves, especially on a national scale.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

The only time I've eaten at a Ruby Tuesday's was when I was back in Maine taking care of my Mom's apartment after she passed away. The food was OK, but wasn't quite as good as Applebee's (the other sit-down chain in the town). 

Boston Market came and went here in Las Vegas. The location that we'd occasionally visit has been a Taco Bell for over 20 years now.

Bob's Big Boy was a name I'd always see in movies and TV shows, but it's never really been anywhere close enough to me to try.

The only time that I had Steak 'n Shake was in 1981 in Daytona. The only thing I remember about the visit was the shoestring fries, which don't appear to be offered anymore. There's five of their restaurants locally, but none of them are really convenient to visit for me.

Ruby Tuesday always competed with quite a few other sit-down restaurant/bar combos, and I think people have actually moved upmarket, as he noted.  We have one...next to a Sam's Club, really kinda in the middle of nowhere from a traffic standpoint.

Boston Market committed one of the cardinal sins:  overexpansion.

Big Boy had, I think, a format issue...too much seating space.  That's expensive.  I kinda remember them as being standalone...HoJo's had that too.  Not tied to, say, a strip mall, which meant customers had to have clear intent to go there...rather than, oh, look, let's grab a bite before we shop.

I don't recall Steak'n'Shake at all, but I don't see steaks and shakes as a strong combo.  Burgers and shakes?  HECK yes.  Philly cheese steaks and shakes?  Oh, just take my money!  But steak's a sit-down meal, and I don't really think of a shake in that context. 

HEY!!!!  I found our burger joint!!!!

https://heroburgers.com/

Too bad they don't have proper names for their burgers, but...can't have everything, right?

15 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I don't recall Steak'n'Shake at all, but I don't see steaks and shakes as a strong combo.  Burgers and shakes?  HECK yes.  Philly cheese steaks and shakes?  Oh, just take my money!  But steak's a sit-down meal, and I don't really think of a shake in that context.

They sold steakburgers.  Think like the current trend of smashburgers griddled really thin and crispy (and really tasty way back when).  Used to be one near me and it was really good (I'm a sucker for shoestring fries).  But they went downhill and ours got replaced by a damn Arby's...

I've only been to a Steak 'n Shake twice.  The first time, they got my steakburger a bit wrong - I asked for no onions, and it seemed like they put *extra* onions on it.  Yuck.

The second time, I asked for a steakburger with cheese, no onions.  To be fair, the burger I got had no onions, so at least they got that part right.  But also no pickle, no lettuce, no tomato, no condiments at all and even no cheese.  Just a plain burger in a bun.  And since I got it to go, I didn't discover this until I got home.  To say I was pissed would be an understatement.

I've vowed to never go to another Steak 'n Shake again.

The chain I miss is Schlotzsky's, which I encountered in its origin point (Austin) in the late 70s.  They still exist (after doing the Chapter 11 thing a dozen years ago or so) but the nearest one to me now is in eastern Oregon.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of cold subs at all...but I do enjoy a toasted one, altho at this point I haven't had a sub from anyone in several years.  Ours closed quite a few years ago...nearest is El Paso.

A Jersey Mike's is gonna be opening quite soon, tho, our first.  Who knows...the killer carb angle wasn't so much the sub, as the 32 oz soft drink...which was never sugar-free.  When I do the occasional Whataburger (LOVE green chile cheeseburgers)...I get water.  

There's a Jersey Mike's opening in the strip mall about 5 minutes' walk from where we live. I've only eaten at that franchise a couple of times; it'll be interesting to investigate and see what they have.

They are just about the only place left (around here) where I can get a turkey-provolone sub with oil&vinegar dressing, so I get to them about once a month.  Unfortunately, the one that's walking distance to my house is even closer to a high school, so the place is packed with kids if I get there at anything close to normal lunch hour.

Edited by Cancer

Saw a recent report that suggested this was about to happen, but Red Lobster has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/red-lobster-blaming-bankruptcy-top-112454092.html

Chapter 11 is an attempt to reorganize, but given the overall problems with restaurants post-pandemic anyway, it remains to be seen how well they can recover.